By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Are too many Americans just using their PS3 as a Blu-ray player?

Each week when I look at the software numbers, I ask myself what is up with PS3 fans. Okay I realize there is a 14 mil console difference for 360 but some of these sales numbers are just baffling. For example Mass Effect 2 and 3 sales. Mass Effect 2 has yet to reach a mil WW. Yes I know that it was released late but the PS3 had a ton of DLC included for free and still not even 1 mil in over a year. This week looking at the Mass Effect split 360 sold over a mil in America and PS3 sold 280k. Why Playstation fans? If you have a 360 and bought all the games on there I understand but these numbers should be better.

More though than Mass Effect, and other poor multi plat splits PS3 have not been supporting their own exclusives. 

Twisted Metal is awesome but it will likely barely sell a million units.
Resistance 3 sold so poorly Insomniac will no longer be developing games for the series.
There are many more examples that make me wonder whats up. 

Does anyone have an explination for Sony's failure to move software consistantly in America?

I do not want to hear Sony sucks, Microsoft is better etc. But if my sales expectations are unrealistic or you have a legit reason please let me hear it.

Around the Network

Yes, they must be punished severely.

ME3 will be the first time the franchise is released day and date with the 360 version. Twisted Metal is a relic franchise from the 90's. Resistance just isn't a good franchise imho. Plus, the realistic FPS is what's big these days. Sci-Fi has taken a back seat.

Aside from that, I don't know what to say. Some franchises do sell better on the PS3 than the 360 despite the huge difference in userbase. Oh, and the PS3 IS a hell of a Blu Ray player.

BasilZero said:
Dont even have a single blu-ray available for me to even watch, so I'm not one of the many who use it as a blu ray player...though I wouldnt find it surprising considering the fact that the PS3 at one point was at a better price than blu-ray players few years ago.

That was what made me consider that to many people are just using as a blu-ray player or a COD machine. 

Either that or Sony fans are just weird. This is certainly a possibility consider how well crappy fighters and niche games sell on the system while gems like Bioshock, Borderlands and Dragon Age are largely ignored. 

It has no games to play, what else should they do with a $599 giant enemy crabs lair Grill?

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

Around the Network

It is just sad how much Sony has to rely on sales in Japan to offset poor American numbers.

RolStoppable said:
Computer games do significantly better on the 360, video games do better on the PS3.

As for exclusives, Sony games don't sell on Sony systems. This isn't really anything new.

^This

I thought it was common knowledge that Japanese games tend to sell better on Playstation, Western games on XBOX, and Nintendo games on Nintendo consoles. That being said Uncharted and GOW are American games that play like Japanese games (ie Resident Evil, MGS, DMC etc) so they sell quite well on PS3.

In Mass Effect's case, no one's going to buy it on PS3 if they have ANY other viable option. Since your save files for all three games tie so heavily together, they are like one continuous game. Since the first Mass Effect is not available on PS3, it's like missing out on a third of the game. So, no one with a 360 or gaming-ready PC is going to by ME3 on PS3.

To answer the question you posed in the title: I'm Canadian, not American, but our sales still count in the 'Americas' sales category. I know a couple of people (myself included) who tend to only use the PS3 for Blu-Rays and its exclusive games.

Sony brought it on themselves, really--at the beginning of the generation, it was pretty much marketed as a Blu-Ray player that could also play video games.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
cmeese47 said:

Each week when I look at the software numbers, I ask myself what is up with PS3 fans. Okay I realize there is a 14 mil console difference for 360 but some of these sales numbers are just baffling. For example Mass Effect 2 and 3 sales. Mass Effect 2 has yet to reach a mil WW. Yes I know that it was released late but the PS3 had a ton of DLC included for free and still not even 1 mil in over a year. This week looking at the Mass Effect split 360 sold over a mil in America and PS3 sold 280k. Why Playstation fans? If you have a 360 and bought all the games on there I understand but these numbers should be better.

More though than Mass Effect, and other poor multi plat splits PS3 have not been supporting their own exclusives. 

Twisted Metal is awesome but it will likely barely sell a million units.
Resistance 3 sold so poorly Insomniac will no longer be developing games for the series.
There are many more examples that make me wonder whats up. 

Does anyone have an explination for Sony's failure to move software consistantly in America?

I do not want to hear Sony sucks, Microsoft is better etc. But if my sales expectations are unrealistic or you have a legit reason please let me hear it.

It is because PS3 has to many games! Duh

New Tales games just released today... And I want that One Piece Pirate Musou game too... To many games man..Just to many

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

I'll let you in on a little secret: I downloaded ME2 in it's entirety via PS+ Full Game Trials. After the hour of play, I didn't feel the need to go further. Maybe if it wasn't 60$ I would have... but I doubt though.

I also never cared for Resistance. It seems like such a bland series and just never grabs my interest.

4 ≈ One