By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Are too many Americans just using their PS3 as a Blu-ray player?

For me I personally used it for Exclusive games and most part Blu-Ray player. When it comes to 3rd party games I tend to go for the 360 9 out of 10 times because the social aspect of if. I love to play multiplayer and co-op games so I can't go with the PS3 because most of my friends own the 360. Currently I own about 200 Xbox 360 games (XBL games included) to 20 PS3 games (PSN games included). The sad things is I own the PS3 at launce 1 month before I own my Xbox 360.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Computer games do significantly better on the 360, video games do better on the PS3.

Possibly a stupid question, but what do you mean?

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Ajescent said:
RolStoppable said:
Computer games do significantly better on the 360, video games do better on the PS3.

Possibly a stupid question, but what do you mean?

Western = Computer games

Japan = Video games

?

Back in 06-08 I would say Yes, and there is still a good portion doing it. Sony needs to focus on being a game machine next time, and not a multimedia center.

Dgc1808 said:

I'll let you in on a little secret: I downloaded ME2 in it's entirety via PS+ Full Game Trials. After the hour of play, I didn't feel the need to go further. Maybe if it wasn't 60$ I would have... but I doubt though.

I also never cared for Resistance. It seems like such a bland series and just never grabs my interest.

A physical copy of ME2 is $20, though.

Around the Network

for the people who have both 360 and ps3 people are more likely to get it for 360 because of friends, party chats, more online features, and 360 has been known to have better multiplatform games

cmeese47 said:

Each week when I look at the software numbers, I ask myself what is up with PS3 fans. Okay I realize there is a 14 mil console difference for 360 but some of these sales numbers are just baffling. For example Mass Effect 2 and 3 sales. Mass Effect 2 has yet to reach a mil WW. Yes I know that it was released late but the PS3 had a ton of DLC included for free and still not even 1 mil in over a year. This week looking at the Mass Effect split 360 sold over a mil in America and PS3 sold 280k. Why Playstation fans? If you have a 360 and bought all the games on there I understand but these numbers should be better.

More though than Mass Effect, and other poor multi plat splits PS3 have not been supporting their own exclusives. 

Twisted Metal is awesome but it will likely barely sell a million units.
Resistance 3 sold so poorly Insomniac will no longer be developing games for the series.
There are many more examples that make me wonder whats up. 

Does anyone have an explination for Sony's failure to move software consistantly in America?

I do not want to hear Sony sucks, Microsoft is better etc. But if my sales expectations are unrealistic or you have a legit reason please let me hear it.

It's likely that the consoles are bought by different types of consumers.

There are multi plat games that sell better on the PS3. Also, I have notice a trend that X360 have higher first week sales, but PS3 has greater long term sales. In some cases the PS3 version eventually outsells the X360 version.

The reason Xbox owners buy so many games is because they are never satisfied with their current library. They can never find a good to keep, so they're constantly looking for quality. PS3 owners on the other hand are satisfied with their library and don't feel the need to buy as many games.

well... according to the site you are posting; PS3 as a tie ratio of games per console in NA of 10,66 gpc (games per console) while XB360 as 10,5 gpc in NA, just a bit less.
in the PS3 department NA is their strongest area, europe lags at 7,13 , japan sits at 5,42 and the rest of the world has a healthy 9,56...
so all your arguments are strange... why did you mention PS3, why do you mention NA... NA is the best zone and PS3 has healthy tie ratios for the size of user base...

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

The only people that have said anything more than loosely based generalizations are rol and Koweniki. The simple premise of this thread is a simple observation made off a small amount of data and really says nothing about what the majority of ps3 users actually use it for.

That being said, i agree with rol and feel the 360 is the cheap pc (other than kinect, but that will soon change) and that for some reason over my life I shifted from Japanese games to pc style games over the past five years. The one thing is the ps3 still has tons of pc western style games so the difference between the consoles still is very minimal.

Also the original posters idea that it matters where the money comes from is pointless thought considering profit is profit no matter who buys, even if it is a British person like the original poster.