By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Are too many Americans just using their PS3 as a Blu-ray player?

cmeese47 said:

Each week when I look at the software numbers, I ask myself what is up with PS3 fans. Okay I realize there is a 14 mil console difference for 360 but some of these sales numbers are just baffling. For example Mass Effect 2 and 3 sales. Mass Effect 2 has yet to reach a mil WW. Yes I know that it was released late but the PS3 had a ton of DLC included for free and still not even 1 mil in over a year. This week looking at the Mass Effect split 360 sold over a mil in America and PS3 sold 280k. Why Playstation fans? If you have a 360 and bought all the games on there I understand but these numbers should be better.

More though than Mass Effect, and other poor multi plat splits PS3 have not been supporting their own exclusives. 

Twisted Metal is awesome but it will likely barely sell a million units.
Resistance 3 sold so poorly Insomniac will no longer be developing games for the series.
There are many more examples that make me wonder whats up. 

Does anyone have an explination for Sony's failure to move software consistantly in America?

I do not want to hear Sony sucks, Microsoft is better etc. But if my sales expectations are unrealistic or you have a legit reason please let me hear it.

Might not matter much, in this case...but ME3 was available as a day one download on the PSN. Was it also a dayone download on the XBOX360?

Around the Network

Mass Effect started out as an Xbox 360 console exclusive.
Don't act so surprised that the PS3 version sells so much less.

Considering ME2 is at ~1mil sales, that's really impressive for a late port of a sequel to a game PS3 is never getting.

Funny how you ignore all those other games that sell more on PS3 than 360 in America. Fighting games and JRPGs come to mind.

sergiodaly said:
well... according to the site you are posting; PS3 as a tie ratio of games per console in NA of 10,66 gpc (games per console) while XB360 as 10,5 gpc in NA, just a bit less.
in the PS3 department NA is their strongest area, europe lags at 7,13 , japan sits at 5,42 and the rest of the world has a healthy 9,56...
so all your arguments are strange... why did you mention PS3, why do you mention NA... NA is the best zone and PS3 has healthy tie ratios for the size of user base...

Where are these figures from? I can't find them, I'd be very interested in reading the article/stats. Thanks. 

Maths using US numbers...

X360: 10.5 games per console
PS3: 10.6 games per console

Are too many Americans just using their PS3 360 as a Blu-ray DVD player?

I don't get the question because PS3 and 360 sell similiar in US (software).

The way i see it.
The PS3 has a lot more games coming out, so the sales are divided..
Just because something is popular doesn't mean Everybody will want it. e.g - Mass Effect

Around the Network

Some cherry-picked, low selling games don't indicate a trend.

The PS3 has many high selling titles and a comparable attach rate to the 360 and Wii. Twisted Metal didn't sell well because it was never a big IP and now it's on a much smaller userbase than the PS1 or PS2 had. The PS3 didn't have the first Mass Effect game so the initial userbase isn't there. It's not hard to understand. Heck, I could say 360 owners are just using the system for Facebook because Final Fantasy 13 and the FIFA games didn't sell as well as on the PS3.

sergiodaly said:
well... according to the site you are posting; PS3 as a tie ratio of games per console in NA of 10,66 gpc (games per console) while XB360 as 10,5 gpc in NA, just a bit less.
in the PS3 department NA is their strongest area, europe lags at 7,13 , japan sits at 5,42 and the rest of the world has a healthy 9,56...
so all your arguments are strange... why did you mention PS3, why do you mention NA... NA is the best zone and PS3 has healthy tie ratios for the size of user base...

We PS3 had a ton of exclusives last year which probably helped increase the attach rate. But I am more concerned with huge discrepancies on games like Borderlands etc that thrive on 360 in American but falter on PS3.

But maybe Sony just has to many games.

RolStoppable said:
Computer games do significantly better on the 360, video games do better on the PS3.

As for exclusives, Sony games don't sell on Sony systems. This isn't really anything new.

What?

RolStoppable said:
Computer games do significantly better on the 360, video games do better on the PS3.

As for exclusives, Sony games don't sell on Sony systems. This isn't really anything new.

i wonder how much killzone would sell for 360? i believe more than for ps3^^

but it would be the same otherwise with  some mistwalker games.

crissindahouse said:
RolStoppable said:

i wonder how much killzone would sell for 360? i believe more than for ps3^^

And I believe any JRPG exclusive for 360 will sell more on PS3... there games selling better on 360 and games selling better on PS3.