By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I think it's safe to say the PS3 is the definitive graphics king for this gen

S.T.A.G.E. said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:

Just some clarifications.  Crysis won 2007 for GFX award by a landslide or not?

I think OP is talking about console games.

Obviously, I know that. I have been following this thread since from the very start. Why not tell that to Michael-5? He was the one who brought it up.

I am just asking an honest off-topic question.

Around the Network
smroadkill15 said:
I think this was already established. Ps3 is the console king of graphics when it comes to exclusives.

Yeah, I mean, if it's Naughty Dog or Sony Santa Monica, then of course the graphics may best the others.  Those teams don't have to spend time making builds for multiple consoles, so they can expend extra effort to squeeze the most out of the PS3.

I think the same holds true for Gears and maybe a couple others for 360.

Dr.Grass said:
TadpoleJackson said:
Ignoring the PC is like saying England is the best country as long as you don't count the US.

Very few people estimate England to be a 'best' country. Nor is it very wonderful to live there if one considers the high childhood depression and climate. The picture becomes even more bleak when one considers the superiority agenda led by British academic institutions. Incredible to see that their work has had such a profound impact on opinion.

And no-one in their right mind would consider a country that will never be able to repay it's debt a king.

Here, here!

We are all slaves to the Federal Reserve system, whether we are aware of it or not.

TruckOSaurus said:
The PS3 does have the best looking games of this generation (in my opinion) but the gap between PS3 and Xbox 360 graphics isn't a big as what we were led to believe it would be when this gen started.

I don't think anyone could really sway a potential buyer either way with a graphics argument. There's a reason we call them the HD twins after all.

Absolutely right.  PS3 turned out to under-perform, based on Sony's initial promises.  But nevertheless, each of them has their strength, and they are basically one in the same, and to the vast majority of people, differences are near impossible to even tell.  I think the next-gen may have a bigger gap between the two, because I think Sony is going to go cheaper/lower price like Nintendo, and Microsoft will be a little more aggressive with their tech.  Especially if the rumor about the HD tablet controller is true.

NoCtiS_NoX said:
Michael-5 said:
Gilgamesh said:

The bigger question now is which PS3 games?

Well Uncharted 3 is the graphics King overall right now, after that...it's obviously debatable. People will argue where 2011 360 exclusives and MP titles rank (Some say above GoW3 and UC 2, some say below, most agree better then 2008 and older offerings).

On an annual basis, GoW for 2010, Uncharted 2 for 2009, MGS4 (although not a landslide victory against Gears 2) for 2008, and 2007 Crysis (PC) followed by Uncharted/Modern Warfare (no clear 2nd), 2006 - Gears of War.

Awards based off Gamespot, Gametrailers and IGN.

On those websites it won 3/3 times and got Readers choice. It's not a console game, but I don't see a clear winner for consoles. Uncharted 1 and Modern Warfare both got a good number of runner ups. However this is just 3 of the bigger review sites, Aldros is the one who for some reason records best graphics awards, so ask him what the generally accepted winner is.

I'd be real surprised if Gears of war didn't win 2006, despite these three major sites all giving Gears a landslide win.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Michael-5 said:

Well Uncharted 3 is the graphics King overall right now, after that...it's obviously debatable. People will argue where 2011 360 exclusives and MP titles rank (Some say above GoW3 and UC 2, some say below, most agree better then 2008 and older offerings).

On an annual basis, GoW for 2010, Uncharted 2 for 2009, MGS4 (although not a landslide victory against Gears 2) for 2008, and 2007 Crysis (PC) followed by Uncharted/Modern Warfare (no clear 2nd), 2006 - Gears of War.

MGS4 had the best graphics of 2008. Gears of War 2 couldn't contest it and it came out in 2009. That game pushed the PS3 early in its lifespan.

Gears 2 got 1/3rd as many best Graphics Awards as MGS4, and both released in 2008. Gears 3 took 3 years to develop remember?

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

NoCtiS_NoX said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:

I think OP is talking about console games.

Obviously, I know that. I have been following this thread since from the very start. Why not tell that to Michael-5? He was the one who brought it up.

I am just asking an honest off-topic question

Already responded. :)

Michael-5 said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:
Michael-5 said:
Gilgamesh said:

The bigger question now is which PS3 games?

On those websites it won 3/3 times and got Readers choice. It's not a console game, but I don't see a clear winner for consoles. Uncharted 1 and Modern Warfare both got a good number of runner ups. However this is just 3 of the bigger review sites, Aldros is the one who for some reason records best graphics awards, so ask him what the generally accepted winner is.

I'd be real surprised if Gears of war didn't win 2006, despite these three major sites all giving Gears a landslide win.

Uh, why bother with Gears 1 in the context of this thread? The PS3 was only out for a month and a half in 2006, and it didn't even launch in Europe until March 2007..

I guess this thread shows how subjective graphics are and it's all down to personal taste. Personally I think the Uncharted series and GOW3 are the best looking games, while the rest can be debated endlessly. For example I think 360 RDR looks better than IF2 and Gears 2 looks better than MGS4 and Heavy Rain graphics aren't THAT great but some of the other members beg to differ. For 360 best looking game is easily Gears 3.

I do think though depending on which side of the fence you sit on then graphics can look better or worse. i,e I know a major 360 hating PS3 fanboy who swears by the graphics of Twisted Metal and Starhawk and I just don't see what's so amazing about them (they look good don;t get me wrong but not that good). Same fan thinks Gears 3 looks mediocre except the last level boss while I think it looks pretty darn special especially for what is essentially a 7 year old bespoke PC.

Badassbab said:
I guess this thread shows how subjective graphics are and it's all down to personal taste. Personally I think the Uncharted series and GOW3 are the best looking games, while the rest can be debated endlessly. For example I think 360 RDR looks better than IF2 and Gears 2 looks better than MGS4 and Heavy Rain graphics aren't THAT great but some of the other members beg to differ. For 360 best looking game is easily Gears 3.

I do think though depending on which side of the fence you sit on then graphics can look better or worse. i,e I know a major 360 hating PS3 fanboy who swears by the graphics of Twisted Metal and Starhawk and I just don't see what's so amazing about them (they look good don;t get me wrong but not that good). Same fan thinks Gears 3 looks mediocre except the last level boss while I think it looks pretty darn special especially for what is essentially a 7 year old bespoke PC.

Graphics are technical, the aesthetics is subjective. Saying Gears 2 looked better than MGS4 is pure opinion. The best looking games on the 360 are PC ports.