By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I think it's safe to say the PS3 is the definitive graphics king for this gen

Gilgamesh said:

There's been a lot of debate going back and forth of who's really the graphics king for consoles (go away pc gamers you don't belong in this thread!). With game after game out doing itself (graphically) it's hard to compete. Some how naughty dog outdoing themselves with Uncharted, I remember how surprised i was first seeing Uncharted, it's nothing now compared to Uncharted 3.

Also how huge God of War was. 

And now the new tech demo from the great creators of Heavy Rain shows off the power of the PS3 once more with an amazing looking video.

Heavy rain pic

Now don't get me wrong, the Xbox 360 sure put up a great fight. Alan Wake, Gear of War, Forza all amazing looking games, as close as some of them are the PS3 came out the winner as the best. I think it's time to finally put a nail in the coffin for this one.

PLEASE DO NOT CONFUSE:

Pre-rendered Bluray movie material with almost no artifacts and high bitrate for almost no compression (because of the bluray)

OR

stuff like special cutscene models eg. a single face with nothing else that needs to be rendered(no background etc.)  With "real" capabilities of a console. 

I had a 360 for years and after I bought the ps3 i was amazed how much of the stuff i see was made of movies etc.  Ratchet and clank cutscenes  etc  Uncharted cutscenes etc   its all movies.    (not that 360 games don't cheat the same way but its not that frequent at least  with the games I own)

Remember  Final Fantasy games?  They also had to cheat like that they used  CUTSCENE models etc  so the game looked better that it actually was etc.

Or do you remember the "intro" Super Mario 64 face you could manipulate? compare that to the actual mario64 model.

EXAMPLE:

So again special purpose/closeup/cutscene models with less background etc OR  on-disk-movies  =/= "real" capabilities of a console.

Other than that Ps3 and 360 have good graphics but im quite tired to see almost no improvement. I want the 8th gen already.

Around the Network

Man we need more 360 fans to defend against these laughable ps3 pics lol.

Xbox may not have wont the graphics wars of exclusives. But atleast ive got my pal multi-plats here. Im happy

Yay!!!

leo-j said:
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
Exclusives.. yes

Multiplats no

okay? Some multiplats shared with the 360, presumably the bigger ones like CALL OF DUTY look almost half a generation behind graphicly compared to some ps3 exclusives....

Nah man, about 85% Multiplats, Ive seen are running on the 360 than the Ps3. 70% of them all multiplats ive seen ran 1080p on 360 and 720p on Ps3. 

Lens of truth.

Yay!!!

Wow... Gilgamesh you sure know how to start a conversation! This thread is easily the most popular in the past few weeks. Congrats?

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
GodOfWar_3ever said:
I think its safe to say that Michael-5 should not be taken all that seriously, given he said that God of War III looks BAD (Giant WTF there) and because he spewed bullshit information about graphics awards which got pwned hard by aldro.

You sir, are entitled to your opinion, however biased it may be. Just be vary that everyone else has different opinions, and majority of them indicate that games like Uncharted, God of War and Killzone have superior graphics to most 360 games.

Never said that. I just said that Uncharted 3 and Gears 3 look better.

Also Gears 2 did get best graphics award for E3 2008, knocking out Killzone 2. I didn't lie there.

You sir are the one that shouldn't be taken seriously if your going to put words in my mouth.

Also I said Uncharted 3 is the best, the majority say that. Killzone I disagree with, that game didn't get any more Best Graphics awards then MGS4, and I think it got a similar number to Gears 2. Also God of War 3, I said that I can see why people would rank it above Gears 3 and any other PS3 exclusive. I just argued that it's subject to opinion. GoW 3 won may best graphics awards in 2010, but Gears 3 came runner up to Uncharted 3 in 2011 (argueably the best looking game this gen). I think the closeness of graphical differences between Gears 3 and well even Uncharted 3, is small, and that excluding UC3, there is no clear cut PS3 exclusive which looks better then Gears 3 (and we'll have to see how Halo 4 fits in). So there is no way you can award PS3 the definite graphics king this gen, especially since most MP games look better on 360, and that the few AAA looking PS3 exclusives are at best 5% better looking then 360 exclusives of that year (but take an old PS3 exclusive, and yea Gears 3, and soon The Witcher 2 kill it)

P.S. Speaking of Halo 4, there is strong talk about this being the best looking game on any console to date (meaning better then UC3).

I would definatly put this above everything up to Uncharted 3, just off this. So we will have to see how good this game ends up looking, and if The Last of Us can top Uncharted 3 visually (I don't think it will).

You did say all those things... including God Of War III looks "bad" in the 100000 posts you made on this thread. I can dig them up for you but it'll just be a colossal waste of time.

And on the topic of Halo 4, time will tell.

Aldro said:

Gears of War 3 was NOT the runner up in 2011. Battlefield 3 was. True story. I personally don't find it all that good looking, but thats the way it is. I got the facts to prove it

I like how you think The last of us wont look good based on one video (which by the way blew a lot of people and had ND confirm several times was captured with a PS3). Then again, the fact that you constantly pull facts out of your ass which are straight out lies and then show pictures of 360 exclusives that are laughable is truly outstanding.

Crysis 2, Battlefield 3, and Gears 3 all got runner ups on various websites.

As for The Last of Us...From what I've seen it looks sub Uncharted 3, but it's still far from release.

As for lies, I only speak the truth, you just need to learn to accept other people have a different view then you. You put Gears 3 at #5, I put it at #3 (I still think Forza 4 looks better then anything else), that's the difference, accept it.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

thehusbo said:
Michael-5 said:

I don't see what people find so interesting about that game. It doesn't look anything special, it just looks silly. XenoBlade is beautiful, Journey is just....I would say crap. It's just a different colour panel set, and type of imagry, but it's not unique or breathtaking.

Try playing the game before calling it crap. I've completed it 4 times and I can truly say its an incredible game and an experience. It has 93 metacritic and not 1 negative review. So how can it be crap? 

I did world that badly I see. I didn't mean to call it crap, but to me it looks like crap (not my type of game), but maybe I should play it. I though Pikmin looked like crap at 1 point, and then I played it.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Sal.Paradise said:

Really? Look how low-res those textures are (right click -> fullscreen), not to mention that the background is blurred out Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the game will be gorgeous when it's finished, but at the moment Gears 3 looks much better than this, never mind any other graphical-powerhouse console franchise.) Also, I don't really think press shots shoud be in this thread, but hey I can't control that. 

Anyway, since this thread is still alive here's some more God of War 3 shots showing off that sexy lighting, the last one isn't straight from a gamer capturing the screens but they're from a Digital Foundry article, so we can safely assume they're legit. (Sadface because I can't find any Hades screenshots, my favourite moment in the game)

I'm sorry you mock a bit of texture blur and return with a photo of sharp angles? Just look at that green light streak....

Mad55 said:
Man we need more 360 fans to defend against these laughable ps3 pics lol.

Please, I'm not even mainly a 360 fan, I like Wii the most, and then specific HD franchises (Mass Effect, Fallout, Forza, JRPG's like Tales of/Valkyria Chronicles, etc)...