By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playstation Vita is the Wii

Two very important things were mentioned in this thread:

1) With the Wii I finally could finally play a game without succumbing to sleep.

2) The PS Vita is not a phone.

It remains to be seen if I can play a game on this thing without falling asleep since I hate handhelds. Also, the Vita not being a phone means that it will be sledding uphill in my opinion. This is why I think that the PS Vita is not the Wii and that your thesis is fundamentally flawed.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
VicViper said:
theprof00 said:
curl-6 said:
theprof00 said:

I mean, for one, nobody likes the Wii really.

I do. 

I've enjoyed it more than any other console I've ever owned except for the SNES. (And I've had a PS1,  a PS2, an Xbox, an Xbox 360, and every Nintendo console)

Ah, see, I do too but everyone keeps telling me that I don't.

Well, I'm not the typical wii gamer though. I do tend towards the more niche games on the system. My favorites are LKS and muramasa. Interestingly enough, in another strange twist with the Vita, both of these devs next games are going to be on the vita LKS 2 and dragons crown.

What's LKS?

Little King's Story

Oh, yeah! how could I forget! Looks like a nice pikmin style game, maybe I'll get it! And it's coming out soon, just checked.

amp316 said:

1) With the Wii I finally could finally play a game without succumbing to sleep.

It remains to be seen if I can play a game on this thing without falling asleep since I hate handhelds. Also, the Vita not being a phone means that it will be sledding uphill in my opinion. This is why I think that the PS Vita is not the Wii and that your thesis is fundamentally flawed.

My point about vita being like the wii, (which thanks to rol's quote should really be "like the the DS"), is that this console is a very important console for Sony and could determine their long lasting success or their first step into oblivion.

It's really not like the wii in any shape or form, except in the case that this is Sony's really first step into the modern gaming environment. This is a counterattack to mover downstream, and they are going to be butting heads now with iphones as well as the 3ds.

The problem is that it seems like a half-hearted attempt. In their defense, there's not a whole lot they can do short of designing some really strong IPs or making it a phone. I believe we'll see a phone version sometime next year, or at least some kind of attempt to target people outside the gaming environment. To summarize, this is not a strong counterattack against nintendo or phones, and it could put sony in a very tough position if it fails to draw a crowd. ie; it needs more than it has right now.

VicViper said:

Oh, yeah! how could I forget! Looks like a nice pikmin style game, maybe I'll get it! And it's coming out soon, just checked.

Yeah that's basically what it is, except I think the game is a hell of a lot more robust than pikmin ever was. It has a really nice feel and atmosphere. It's just a  blast to play. I just hope they do as good of a job on LKS 2 on Vita, because I've seen the new sprites and can't say I'm instantly in love with it as I was when looking at the wii LKS.

theprof00 said:
amp316 said:

My point about vita being like the wii, (which thanks to rol's quote should really be "like the the DS"), is that this console is a very important console for Sony and could determine their long lasting success or their first step into oblivion.

It's really not like the wii in any shape or form, except in the case that this is Sony's really first step into the modern gaming environment. This is a counterattack to mover downstream, and they are going to be butting heads now with iphones as well as the 3ds.

The problem is that it seems like a half-hearted attempt. In their defense, there's not a whole lot they can do short of designing some really strong IPs or making it a phone. I believe we'll see a phone version sometime next year, or at least some kind of attempt to target people outside the gaming environment. To summarize, this is not a strong counterattack against nintendo or phones, and it could put sony in a very tough position if it fails to draw a crowd. ie; it needs more than it has right now.

Eloquently put, and I'd have to say that I agree in certain respects.

The problem with the PS Vita is that I already see it as being doomed.  If  Sony really wanted it to be successful, they should have made it a phone and had Angry Birds as a launch title.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network

Ok, I'll give a more serious response to the point that was hidden behind the Wii-insults.

You're trying to use disruption theory, but you seem to not be familiar with the big picure. The Vita is following a pattern that Christensen calls cramming. Sony is not really trying to attract the low tier gamers, instead, they only see the technology in the disruptive products, and they cram it in their usual high performance upmarket product, that's all there is to it. They are trying to compete against disruption using conventional means.
If they really wanted to counterattack, we'd see software like Doktor Kutaragis Brain Training and Sony Sparrows and New Ratchet & Clank Brothers on it. Or if they wanted to counterattack Apple, they would have to turn a lot of their studios to heavily supporting their andoid phones.

This is not counterattack, this is not an attempt at any sort of disruption, this is just cramming.

I LOVE ICELAND!

I like the Wii very much, every Wii owner i know loves it so ...........SPEAK FOR YOURSELF BOY!!!!

Actually you could argue the PSP was the true disruptor. Because if you think about it, the PSP was actually more versatile that than the PSV because it could play movies from media.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

KungKras said:
Ok, I'll give a more serious response to the point that was hidden behind the Wii-insults.

You're trying to use disruption theory, but you seem to not be familiar with the big picure. The Vita is following a pattern that Christensen calls cramming. Sony is not really trying to attract the low tier gamers, instead, they only see the technology in the disruptive products, and they cram it in their usual high performance upmarket product, that's all there is to it. They are trying to compete against disruption using conventional means.
If they really wanted to counterattack, we'd see software like Doktor Kutaragis Brain Training and Sony Sparrows and New Ratchet & Clank Brothers on it. Or if they wanted to counterattack Apple, they would have to turn a lot of their studios to heavily supporting their andoid phones.

This is not counterattack, this is not an attempt at any sort of disruption, this is just cramming.

I disagree, you will see soon enough when they start pushing out these new things. They are developing mini games for the vita and new apps that fit the ios environment. So yes, we are seeing that software in development. However, it's a half-hearted attempt because the device doesn't currently fit the strategy.

Plus the playstation suite is an application suite like steam. They are preparing to brand and move down using this platform.

Secondly, there's been nothing concrete but I believe we've heard rumors about a phone version of the vita coming out. Noone knows when where or how, but it's said to be on the horizon.

mike_intellivision said:
Actually you could argue the PSP was the true disruptor. Because if you think about it, the PSP was actually more versatile that than the PSV because it could play movies from media.

Mike from Morgantown

psv has netflix