By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Tekken Wii U: 60fps, low image latency, Touchscreen controller as a strategy guide

Eurogamer

Tekken on Wii U will run at 60fps, has impressive image latency, and will make use of the console's touchscreen controller in interesting ways, designer Katsuhiro Harada has revealed.

Harada has seen the upcoming console up close and personal, and is impressed with the results of latency tests - news sure to please frame-obsessed fighting game fans.

"The speed of the image transmission feature from the screen to the controller is impressive," he told Nintendo Gamer.

"The first time I saw Wii U, I thought, 'isn't the delay longer than one frame? If it is, it's going to be difficult for fighting games.' But when I heard that the latency actually isn't more than 1/60th second I was really happy."

The development team's goal is to get the fighting game running at 60fps, Harada revealed.

"In reality most games offer a variable frame rate of no more than 20fps to 40fps," he said. "But one of our major objectives will be to fix the frame rate of our game at 60 so it becomes a match about movements and no longer a match about visuals.

"Of course, with a frame rate of 30 images per second, we still get very nice visuals, but you can't compare our 60fps games with those that have low frame rates - we're taking the fight into an entirely different dimension altogether."

According to the report, Harada doesn't think Nintendo is planning to enter the graphics race with the Wii U.

Instead games will stand out courtesy of the touchscreen controller and the unique features it enables.

For Tekken, one of these unique features may be using the controller's screen to display an interactive strategy guide.

"I've often heard about or seen fighting-game players playing with a strategy guide open at their feet," Harada said. "So it would be useful if we could, for example, distribute an enhanced digital version of the guide that the player could see while playing, and even touch to have a live preview on the main screen."

Tekken Wii U was announced during Nintendo's E3 2011 press conference as part of a long list of titles due out for the console from third parties.

Little is known about it, although we expect more information at E3 2012, where Nintendo will unveil the final design of its Wii successor, due out in time for Christmas.

Another idea Harada has for the Wii U's second screen is to use it as a drawing board, letting gamers design their own patterns for character customisation.

"Another thing I would like to do is use the capacity to write on the screen," he said. "I'd like to implement a feature such as being able to customise the character by drawing and painting on the screen."

Tekken Wii U footage from last year shows how this may manifest itself in-game. It also shows live-editable stages, lending the 3D fighting game a Smash Bros. feel.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-28-tekken-wii-u-60fps-low-image-latency

Around the Network

Yeah.. I would love to write LOSER on the controller just to display it on my opponent screen after a match of online multiplayer..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Yep, It would be awesome to have some sort of Mortal Kombat-ish "Finish Him" where you can doodle on their unconscious body after you win.

I'm the result of someone exclusively playing Final Fantasy XI from the PS2 release till 2010, and only stopping for small bouts of catch up. 

3DS Friend Code: Tate - Uh.. stuff happened... I need to get a new 3DS 

Switch FC: SW-3272-7705-6029

If you add me, please let me know so I can add you back. =D

FFXI Character: Formally Tatewaki of Cerberus, Now Arngrim Of Sylph.  Retired forever. ; ;

FFXIV Character: Tate Raken of Hyperion

All time favorite game: Chrono Trigger. 

All time favorite Manga: One piece... Followed by Ranma 1/2. 

That's a great idea, if I could see what the combos are from the touchscreen, would make it really easy. Actually having a digital strategy guide for every game on the touchscreen would be awesome.

Wii Friend Code: 6138 6258 1100 8121       3DS Friend Code: 3609 1395 1239

How would he have such intimate access to the hardware, and yet merely "think" that they weren't going to compete graphically?

One also wonders exactly what that means.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
How would he have such intimate access to the hardware, and yet merely "think" that they weren't going to compete graphically?

I think he might have gotten REALLY drunk and confused a take out box for the Wii U dev kit.

I'm the result of someone exclusively playing Final Fantasy XI from the PS2 release till 2010, and only stopping for small bouts of catch up. 

3DS Friend Code: Tate - Uh.. stuff happened... I need to get a new 3DS 

Switch FC: SW-3272-7705-6029

If you add me, please let me know so I can add you back. =D

FFXI Character: Formally Tatewaki of Cerberus, Now Arngrim Of Sylph.  Retired forever. ; ;

FFXIV Character: Tate Raken of Hyperion

All time favorite game: Chrono Trigger. 

All time favorite Manga: One piece... Followed by Ranma 1/2. 

There hasn't been a tekken game released since 10 years that doesn't run at 60fps to my knowledge.

Tatewaki75 said:
Yep, It would be awesome to have some sort of Mortal Kombat-ish "Finish Him" where you can doodle on their unconscious body after you win.

You just want to draw penises on the loser's face.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

fillet said:
There hasn't been a tekken game released since 10 years that doesn't run at 60fps to my knowledge.

dosen't run pretty much every fighting game at 60fps ?

Mr Khan said:

He says that Nintendo will not "to enter the graphics race". He says nothing about that the Wii U can't compete graphically.