By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox 720: How Microsoft Could Determine Sony's Fate

Who, out of these two, do you think will win next gen?

Sony 111 29.37%

Microsoft 121 32.01%

Pretty much even 29 7.67%

Too early to tell 85 22.49%

See results 32 8.47%

Total:378
Dark_Lord_2008 said:
Both Microsoft and Sony should launch systems late 2013/early 2014 and only be 12 months behind Nintendo's Wii U, due out in late 2012/early 2013.
I do not see Sony abandoning Blu-Ray. Expect an upgraded version of Blu-Ray in the PS4.
Expect an upgraded Cell processor that will be around two or three times as powerful as the PS3.
Wii U will be more powerful than the PS3 and be a true HD console with touch controls.
X360 will be in between the PS4 and Wii U in regards to console processing power.
Blu-Ray will feature in some shape or form in all three 8th generation console systems.
Storage 160GB to 250GB+ should be standard in the PS4 and the Next XBox. Not so sure about the Wii U's HDD.

Sony theoretically doent have the budget for developing the most powerful console next gen. 

Yay!!!

Around the Network

My personal feeling is the next XBox will still dominate with hardcore players.

The current 360 can run decent versions of Crysis 2, Battlefield 3, The Witcher, etc. Yes, they're not PC perfect by any means, but to the average consumer they're close enough.

The "720" even if those leaked specs are true would be several times more powerful than a 360 and be able to give you some pretty damn high end visuals. I think what MS is banking on more than anything is that most developers really can't afford to make games that go beyond a certain threshold of visual complexity. 

Though honestly I wouldn't put it past MS to simply bump up their GPU spec once they get more details on the PS4. They can afford a $10-$20 loss easy on some launch units, Sony is much, much more trouble financially and MS did bump the RAM in the 360 later on. If developers are yelling at MS to go more powerful, I tend to think they will listen. 

I think Sony can only go up from this gen. A reasonable launch price such as $299 for the base model and $349 for the bigger HD model would get it started off right.

Andrespetmonkey said:
Nem said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
I think SONY is in a better position to get the hardcore, hopefully they aim for it. Look at what you did with PSP, then how you fixed it with VITA. Do the same with PS3 and PS4, only this time get some more system sellers at launch and make it $350-400 at launch.

I'm confused. What exactly was fixed with the Vita in relation to the PSP? They are the same thing except in power. Neither of them has a central diferenciating factor aside the graphical power.

As for the PS4 though, it will depend on the competitors if Sony keeps not bringing diferentiating factors to their systems. The only thing they got going for them is that PSN is free. If Microsoft goes for the tablet strategy like Nintendo, that will leave Sony in a better position to grab the hardcore, but i have to wonder if that segment is profitable enough. There is a reason why microsoft is trying to expand their target.

Who i would like to win next gen is Sony, because i want to go back to the playstation and have free online play. I dont think its funny to have to pay for temporary one-sided online play.

Who i think will win, is most probably Nintendo. The perceived graphical upgrades are little from this gen to the next, and the WiiU will have comparable graphics and yet will be cheaper to get and develop for. At the same time, it brings innovation and new ideas to gaming with the new controller. You just cant beat nintendo's marketing. Its really by the book, and its why they are winning every battle post Gamecube.

Basically, if nintendo manages to be part of the multi=platform titles they will no doubt win with the appeal to a broader market and the popularity of the Nintendo games. At that point Microsoft will become the underdog competitior trying to grab a share of that same market and Sony will be completely out.

Pretty big difference actually. PSP focused on being everything (at least before and just after launch). A portable media centre. Whereas the PSVITA has a clear focus on being a dedicated gaming device, with multimedia options. Also, the PSVITA has a stellar launch line-up and is 20% cheaper than PSP at launch. If SONY can market the PS4 in a way in which they say "we aren't going down the casual route like Microsoft is (based on my assumption they are, not saying it's factual) or Nintendo did, we want to be the system hardcore gamers go to, the most powerful system that focuses on the core gaming experience". This is similar to the PS3 in some ways, just release it for $400 max and have an exceptional launch line-up (like vita).

See what I'm saying?

The PSP was $250 at launch too. And add to that price of at least a 4 GB memory card.

I'm shocked to see how many people in this thread mention things like "hardcore gamer" and "most powerful hardware" as strategies that Sony will use to win next gen. Talk about retro thinking...

Around the Network

i think microsoft could be screwing themselves over if they include all the bells and whistles (also if they ban used games). If Sony can price the ps4 well and stick to the hardcore i think they could win everyone over.

also, if the wii u is significantly cheaper than the xbox 720, then ms will probably not get any of the casual crowd. i think nintendo learned alot from the 3ds launch, and also there software is what drives their hardware.

Well microsoft is currently in the best position to be successful next gen with Xbox life giving a huge financial advantage over its competitors. But I think microsofts biggest advantage over Sony will be Sonys potential breakup. I still anticipate either Samsung or lg purchasing their tv division...and if Samsung goes for the devices division as well it could lead to an end of ps4 development or at least a delay of release. But if that doesn't happen ps4 should follow a similar pattern to ps3, which is to say struggling to be profitable but a commercial success in terms of volume sold. Sonys continued lack of monitization of its online service will slow its earning potential and keep shareholders from fully supporting the ps4.

Not sure why the author writes off the wii u. Most developers believe it will be more powerful than the both Xbox 360 and ps3 and with a one year head start could see a successful and more important...profitable launch.

It is far too early to tell. We don't know anything about the next Microsoft and Sony consoles.

It you make me guess now, I would think that Microsoft and Sony are going to be battling out another very close gen like this one. I would also guess that Nintendo has the best chance to come out on top.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

It all depends on MS getting a head start and how long it lasts.

Difference is Xbox is a much bigger brand name now then it was in 2005 and if the reliability is good out the gate thats an even bigger reason to invest in it. Bigger Japan, Europe and especially NA brand presence will mean everything it gained over Sony this gen, only multiplied.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:

It all depends on MS getting a head start and how long it lasts.

Difference is Xbox is a much bigger brand name now then it was in 2005 and if the reliability is good out the gate thats an even bigger reason to invest in it. Bigger Japan, Europe and especially NA brand presence will mean everything it gained over Sony this gen, only multiplied.

That is something I forgt to mention in my post.  Nintendo will be getting a nice boost by launching first, as we saw with Microsoft this generation.  Both Microsoft and Sony will need to launch in 2013 to avoid giving up to much time to Nintendo.  If either Sony or Microsoft launch in 2013 and the other waits until 2014, than the one that waited will be doomed to 3rd place.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)