By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox 720: How Microsoft Could Determine Sony's Fate

Who, out of these two, do you think will win next gen?

Sony 111 29.37%

Microsoft 121 32.01%

Pretty much even 29 7.67%

Too early to tell 85 22.49%

See results 32 8.47%

Total:378

Well if it's to compare like this,
DS > PSP
Wii > PS3/360
3DS > Vita

Then you look
PSP > 3DS
PS3/360 > Wii U

like that i assume that Wii U undoubtly it's more powerfull than PS3/360

About the next gen winner, it's to soon, but i think that on home console market Sony will take the sales crown, about overall quality winner i don't know.

Around the Network

well, gaming wise nintendo is already out of the competition, its still viewed as a child system.

its between xbox and PS.
if xbox continues down the kidnect path then sony wins.
if playstation doesn't get better online it has a problem.

if xbox announces 3 new IPs for next gen and confirms the used game block is fake, it will probably win no matter what sony throws at it.

honestly all MS has to do is make games and it will be fine.. sony is making games, and they are OK, but none of the stand out enough to be worth noticing.
Sony has a better online deal, but the UI and lag kills it for me and many others, some games are good but others its like wtf. PSN+ is amazing and hopefully MS will copy its model for next gen, free arcade game every week as long as i'm gold? yes please.

in the end, it will be does MS have the launch line up and no used game rumor, or will sony win because MS fails.

usrevenge said:
well, gaming wise nintendo is already out of the competition, its still viewed as a child system.

its between xbox and PS.

if xbox continues down the kidnect path then sony wins.
if playstation doesn't get better online it has a problem.

if xbox announces 3 new IPs for next gen and confirms the used game block is fake, it will probably win no matter what sony throws at it.

honestly all MS has to do is make games and it will be fine.. sony is making games, and they are OK, but none of the stand out enough to be worth noticing.
Sony has a better online deal, but the UI and lag kills it for me and many others, some games are good but others its like wtf. PSN+ is amazing and hopefully MS will copy its model for next gen, free arcade game every week as long as i'm gold? yes please.

in the end, it will be does MS have the launch line up and no used game rumor, or will sony win because MS fails.

I fail to see the relevance.

Both Microsoft and Sony should launch systems late 2013/early 2014 and only be 12 months behind Nintendo's Wii U, due out in late 2012/early 2013.
I do not see Sony abandoning Blu-Ray. Expect an upgraded version of Blu-Ray in the PS4.
Expect an upgraded Cell processor that will be around two or three times as powerful as the PS3.
Wii U will be more powerful than the PS3 and be a true HD console with touch controls.
X360 will be in between the PS4 and Wii U in regards to console processing power.
Blu-Ray will feature in some shape or form in all three 8th generation console systems.
Storage 160GB to 250GB+ should be standard in the PS4 and the Next XBox. Not so sure about the Wii U's HDD.

It's impossible to tell.

Around the Network
Andrespetmonkey said:
I think SONY is in a better position to get the hardcore, hopefully they aim for it. Look at what you did with PSP, then how you fixed it with VITA. Do the same with PS3 and PS4, only this time get some more system sellers at launch and make it $350-400 at launch.

I'm confused. What exactly was fixed with the Vita in relation to the PSP? They are the same thing except in power. Neither of them has a central diferenciating factor aside the graphical power.

As for the PS4 though, it will depend on the competitors if Sony keeps not bringing diferentiating factors to their systems. The only thing they got going for them is that PSN is free. If Microsoft goes for the tablet strategy like Nintendo, that will leave Sony in a better position to grab the hardcore, but i have to wonder if that segment is profitable enough. There is a reason why microsoft is trying to expand their target.

Who i would like to win next gen is Sony, because i want to go back to the playstation and have free online play. I dont think its funny to have to pay for temporary one-sided online play.

Who i think will win, is most probably Nintendo. The perceived graphical upgrades are little from this gen to the next, and the WiiU will have comparable graphics and yet will be cheaper to get and develop for. At the same time, it brings innovation and new ideas to gaming with the new controller. You just cant beat nintendo's marketing. Its really by the book, and its why they are winning every battle post Gamecube.

Basically, if nintendo manages to be part of the multi=platform titles they will no doubt win with the appeal to a broader market and the popularity of the Nintendo games. At that point Microsoft will become the underdog competitior trying to grab a share of that same market (presumably with kinect) and Sony will be completely out because they dont offer anything the other 2 dont (nintendo network will most probably be free aswell).

kowenicki said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
I think SONY is in a better position to get the hardcore, hopefully they aim for it. Look at what you did with PSP, then how you fixed it with VITA. Do the same with PS3 and PS4, only this time get some more system sellers at launch and make it $350-400 at launch.

Wayyyyyy to easrly to say that

Also too early to say who will win next gen... we dont know nearly enough yet

If we go with momentum (gen to gen) and with ability to sepnd and keep their audience then MS has a strong hard.

xbox to 360 momentum? check

masses of cash? check

captive audience (LIVE subscribers) check?

but you must remember how PS1->PS2 was a big jump.. but then...

I trust no one, not even myself.

Dark_Lord_2008 said:
Both Microsoft and Sony should launch systems late 2013/early 2014 and only be 12 months behind Nintendo's Wii U, due out in late 2012/early 2013.
I do not see Sony abandoning Blu-Ray. Expect an upgraded version of Blu-Ray in the PS4.
Expect an upgraded Cell processor that will be around two or three times as powerful as the PS3.
Wii U will be more powerful than the PS3 and be a true HD console with touch controls.
X360 will be in between the PS4 and Wii U in regards to console processing power.
Blu-Ray will feature in some shape or form in all three 8th generation console systems.
Storage 160GB to 250GB+ should be standard in the PS4 and the Next XBox. Not so sure about the Wii U's HDD.

Bolded: Wii U is confirmed to be released before 2012 ends.

Italics: Definitely confirmed.

Underlined: Wut?

Bolded italics: Wii U will not feature blue-ray.

Underlined italics: Wii U will not have a HDD as standard.

Nem said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

I'm confused. What exactly was fixed with the Vita in relation to the PSP? They are the same thing except in power. Neither of them has a central diferenciating factor aside the graphical power.

As for the PS4 though, it will depend on the competitors if Sony keeps not bringing diferentiating factors to their systems. The only thing they got going for them is that PSN is free. If Microsoft goes for the tablet strategy like Nintendo, that will leave Sony in a better position to grab the hardcore, but i have to wonder if that segment is profitable enough. There is a reason why microsoft is trying to expand their target.

Who i would like to win next gen is Sony, because i want to go back to the playstation and have free online play. I dont think its funny to have to pay for temporary one-sided online play.

Who i think will win, is most probably Nintendo. The perceived graphical upgrades are little from this gen to the next, and the WiiU will have comparable graphics and yet will be cheaper to get and develop for. At the same time, it brings innovation and new ideas to gaming with the new controller. You just cant beat nintendo's marketing. Its really by the book, and its why they are winning every battle post Gamecube.

Basically, if nintendo manages to be part of the multi=platform titles they will no doubt win with the appeal to a broader market and the popularity of the Nintendo games. At that point Microsoft will become the underdog competitior trying to grab a share of that same market and Sony will be completely out.

Pretty big difference actually. PSP focused on being everything (at least before and just after launch). A portable media centre. Whereas the PSVITA has a clear focus on being a dedicated gaming device, with multimedia options. Also, the PSVITA has a stellar launch line-up and is 20% cheaper than PSP at launch. If SONY can market the PS4 in a way in which they say "we aren't going down the casual route like Microsoft is (based on my assumption they are, not saying it's factual) or Nintendo did, we want to be the system hardcore gamers go to, the most powerful system that focuses on the core gaming experience". This is similar to the PS3 in some ways, just release it for $400 max and have an exceptional launch line-up (like vita).

See what I'm saying?

Well in terms of tablet controllers, for Wii U and next Xbox, if in case of next Xbox, if microsoft follow nintendo strategy in that segment, it doesn't mean that they will lose hardcore players, because it's up to developers, to make the games compatible with other inputs, like in Wii and Wii U will have compatibility with Wii Classic Controler and Controler Pro, i expect to a revised classic controler for Wii U, Microsoft could make their games compatible with a traditional controler input for their next gen console. the tablet controller is no excuse for lose of hardcore gamers, since they could still have other input options for consoles