By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox 720: How Microsoft Could Determine Sony's Fate

Who, out of these two, do you think will win next gen?

Sony 111 29.37%

Microsoft 121 32.01%

Pretty much even 29 7.67%

Too early to tell 85 22.49%

See results 32 8.47%

Total:378

lol @ sony latching hardcore looking at the 3ds i dont think so (points finger to sky w electricity striking up)

Around the Network

It probably has more to do with the overall environment of the console, I.E. software, integration with Windows 8 and the tablet/phone versions and the user experience than it will be the outright performance of the system. Given we're looking at an 8 year gap between the systems I suspect what we'll see will be based on the Xbox 360 S type design parameters instead of the original so I suspect a profitable system with decent performance and a focus on accessories will be the order of the day.

Tease.

Nintendo having a 1-year head start on the competition, plus most likely being the least expensive console of the next gen for the duration of its life will automatically give them a great start and a healthy life. Whether or not they "win" the generation is still completely up in the air, but right now they're the ones with a pretty damn good shot of doing so.

Sony on the other hand is the one in the worst position heading into the next gen IMO. They've had their backs against the wall ever since the start of the current gen, going from 1st to 3rd in console sales and market share faster than you can blink, and while they've slowly been gaining momentum with the PS3, it's going to be tough to carry that over to the PS4, and it remains to be seen just how successful the Vita will be. Add to all that the company's current financial troubles, and there's not a real positive outlook for them going into the next gen.

That leaves M$, who turned the tables on Sony this gen by making the 360 the HD system of choice for the majority of core gamers, especially in NA. And now thanks to Kinect they've expanded their audience even further, and have a ton of momentum going into this year and eventually into the next gen. That said, their Achille's heel continues to be Japan, where they are shunned by the general population for being a foreign company, and therefore do not have as much support with most Japanese developers as Sony and Nintendo do. If they can somehow translate their success in the west to Japan and become even moderately successful, then it's definitely game over for Sony.

When all is said and done, I expect the next gen to be Nintendo in the lead with M$ trailing just behind in WW sales, with Sony a distant third unless there's a dramatic shift in the worldwide gaming landscape somehow.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Oh, and while reading the article, Iwata's quote about Nintendo steering away from "long, expensive development cycles with large numbers of teams for HD games" really bugged me.

I mean, this is the same Nintendo that typically waits a minimum of 3-4 years to churn out cookie-cutter sequels to some of its franchises, isn't it? Really Nintendo... did you guys need to work on Wii Sports Resort for 3 years? And 5 years for yet another Mario Party? 7 years for that piece of shit Brawl?!? And who knows how long it'll be before the next Zelda hits the Wii U. Did it really take 5 years for them to develop Skyward Sword?

Thank God other developers aren't like Nintendo, or we'd still be waiting for followups to so many of our favorite games of this gen.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

disolitude said:
I'm shocked to see how many people in this thread mention things like "hardcore gamer" and "most powerful hardware" as strategies that Sony will use to win next gen. Talk about retro thinking...

Truly? Sony fans on VGChartz more often than not, advocate a strategy that would often lead to Sony's ruin. I used to jokingly post that worst thing that could thing Sony could do is listen to it's fans.

Around the Network

Even as a Nintendo fan, I really feel bad for Sony... they are really not doing good on alot of fronts.. I.E. 'Apple ipod dominating sony walkman, samsung and Lg dominating sony tvs etc. As a nintendo fan microsoft is a lot more intimidating as competition.

sensebringer said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Nem said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
I think SONY is in a better position to get the hardcore, hopefully they aim for it. Look at what you did with PSP, then how you fixed it with VITA. Do the same with PS3 and PS4, only this time get some more system sellers at launch and make it $350-400 at launch.

I'm confused. What exactly was fixed with the Vita in relation to the PSP? They are the same thing except in power. Neither of them has a central diferenciating factor aside the graphical power.

As for the PS4 though, it will depend on the competitors if Sony keeps not bringing diferentiating factors to their systems. The only thing they got going for them is that PSN is free. If Microsoft goes for the tablet strategy like Nintendo, that will leave Sony in a better position to grab the hardcore, but i have to wonder if that segment is profitable enough. There is a reason why microsoft is trying to expand their target.

Who i would like to win next gen is Sony, because i want to go back to the playstation and have free online play. I dont think its funny to have to pay for temporary one-sided online play.

Who i think will win, is most probably Nintendo. The perceived graphical upgrades are little from this gen to the next, and the WiiU will have comparable graphics and yet will be cheaper to get and develop for. At the same time, it brings innovation and new ideas to gaming with the new controller. You just cant beat nintendo's marketing. Its really by the book, and its why they are winning every battle post Gamecube.

Basically, if nintendo manages to be part of the multi=platform titles they will no doubt win with the appeal to a broader market and the popularity of the Nintendo games. At that point Microsoft will become the underdog competitior trying to grab a share of that same market and Sony will be completely out.

Pretty big difference actually. PSP focused on being everything (at least before and just after launch). A portable media centre. Whereas the PSVITA has a clear focus on being a dedicated gaming device, with multimedia options. Also, the PSVITA has a stellar launch line-up and is 20% cheaper than PSP at launch. If SONY can market the PS4 in a way in which they say "we aren't going down the casual route like Microsoft is (based on my assumption they are, not saying it's factual) or Nintendo did, we want to be the system hardcore gamers go to, the most powerful system that focuses on the core gaming experience". This is similar to the PS3 in some ways, just release it for $400 max and have an exceptional launch line-up (like vita).

See what I'm saying?

The PSP was $250 at launch too. And add to that price of at least a 4 GB memory card.

my mistake 

MS has the money to attract Hardcore Sony does not.

MS can heavily invest on a cheap but powerful console through expensive research. Something Sony cant do. Making the system more advanced means future-proofing it.

Yay!!!

honestly I think Microsoft because it can capture both casual and hardcore. Also withthe 360's huge name in america, then again Nintendo has Mario, Zelda, and a lot more 1st party games coming with HD that can also get hardcore games now, and it also has Nintendo Network which bridges the online community as well making it the most complete Nintendo Home Console. Then there is Sony who is in trouble financially but lets not forget that they have the best hardcore lineup. However since Microsoft has really taken a hold of America I believe it will beat out sony again. But I'm not going to pull off a pachter because he is always wrong, what I'm going to say is, let's wait until we actually see the consoles and prices before making a decision. Last gen the PS2 sold 150 mil and ps3 has sold 60 mil so far. XBOX was at 24 and now 360 is at 64 mil and gamecube at 21 mil where as wii is at 95 mil. You cant predict this kind of stuff because there will be a lot of surprises. If I was going off the info I have today then Microsoft, Nintendo, then sony because Microsoft continues to grow each gen just like 360 does better each year. Nintendo because 95 mil people has now witnessed mario, zelda, donkey kong, wii fit, wii sports, etc. Although they will lose a lot of the user base they will also gain a new userbase with the tablet and a better core. Sony last because where they are financially and they have yet to produce a massive game on the PS3 besides Uncharted. Like I said, let's wait until we hear info on each console because our predictions will likely change then. Right now people are just basing it off of them being a fan of a specific system instead of statistics which has tarnished this website imo

DirtyP2002 said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
I think SONY is in a better position to get the hardcore, hopefully they aim for it. Look at what you did with PSP, then how you fixed it with VITA. Do the same with PS3 and PS4, only this time get some more system sellers at launch and make it $350-400 at launch.

This is the first time I see somebody using the Vita as a positive example for Sonys new direction. Most people talk about it like another nail in the coffin.

It is way too early to tell.  Who would have thought that Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3 are in the order like they are today? Every new gen is basically random and everyone has their strenghts.

Sony: brand name "Playstation" that sells quite a few consoles.

Microsoft: Best and most spread online functionality (A lot of those 40 million Xbox Live users will keep on playing with their friends on the next xbox)

Nintendo: Best known franchises.

So just wait and see.

you made the post before i could, and i couldn't agree more.

But, if i had to pick a winner it'd be Sony battling with Ninty, but that's only if Sony can market their console, have a better launch, and launch PS4 like they've done with Vita with the exception being a ww luanch.

now, in the past i've stated that the 8th gen, will be a war worth watching cause of how close it's going to be, but 1 game could seal the deal for either console maker, to pull ahead and win the war.