By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - RAGE - Possibly one of the biggest disappointments?

Tagged games:

Nah, MW2 was for me.

Around the Network

The whole time playing i was thinking i would rather play Borderlands

You wanna have your opinion, then you have to respect different opinions as well.

coolbeans said:
I thought the part I played at my friend's house was great.

Which part did you play? We've played the coop splitscreen and gave up at the first stage, the controls were jumbly and the coop itself was just chaos, so we stopped it about 5 minutes in and went back to Castle Crashers.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

reviniente said:

I think you expected something different from what id does. They craft tight, cohesive and meaty FPS experiences. It's old-fashioned because id invented and help define the FPS genre; id is the FPS. When they stray from the FPS formula, they falter; when they condensate, when they deliver the pure, undiluted, unadulterated FPS experience, they cannot be equaled. Heck, id Software even implemented the first LAN based multiplayer with Quake. As far as I'm concerned, when you talk FPS at least, whatever John Carmack says, goes. It's his universe, we just play in it.

The problem with this is the FPS genre as a whole has moved a long way from the genre that ID invented. In many ways they're still stuck in old school mechanics, which for some is fun and pure no holds barred FPS gameplay. Unfortunately, for many who have started playing FPS in the last 10 years it represents a throw back to a by gone era of gaming that they never cared for. Even I (having started FPS gaming on Doom, Wolfenstein, etc.) find many of IDs modern games to be a bit dull. There's nothing special in their gameplay anymore and the other aspects of their games aren't exactly the best in class. The only feature they've really innovated on has been in graphics.

The other point is the team is too small to truly compete with the likes of Epic, Valve and the publishing/developing might that Activision manage to churn out.

It's not John Carmack's universe anymore. It hasn't been for a long time.

They should have been bolder and made it truly open world instead of hub-based with linear id corridoors. And they should have implemented much stronger and meaningful RPG elements.

I hope id lets Rage die now but from what I understand they still believe in this franchise and are planning a sequel.

Around the Network
Scoobes said:
reviniente said:

I think you expected something different from what id does. They craft tight, cohesive and meaty FPS experiences. It's old-fashioned because id invented and help define the FPS genre; id is the FPS. When they stray from the FPS formula, they falter; when they condensate, when they deliver the pure, undiluted, unadulterated FPS experience, they cannot be equaled. Heck, id Software even implemented the first LAN based multiplayer with Quake. As far as I'm concerned, when you talk FPS at least, whatever John Carmack says, goes. It's his universe, we just play in it.

The problem with this is the FPS genre as a whole has moved a long way from the genre that ID invented. In many ways they're still stuck in old school mechanics, which for some is fun and pure no holds barred FPS gameplay. Unfortunately, for many who have started playing FPS in the last 10 years it represents a throw back to a by gone era of gaming that they never cared for. Even I (having started FPS gaming on Doom, Wolfenstein, etc.) find many of IDs modern games to be a bit dull. There's nothing special in their gameplay anymore and the other aspects of their games aren't exactly the best in class. The only feature they've really innovated on has been in graphics.

The other point is the team is too small to truly compete with the likes of Epic, Valve and the publishing/developing might that Activision manage to churn out.

It's not John Carmack's universe anymore. It hasn't been for a long time.

ID has not made a good game in over a decade, when this was announced I knew it was going to be average.

Has anybody noticed that all id software ip's are named after FF spells? Doom, Quake, Rage... I wonder what's next. Weak? Stone? Nuke?... Elf fire?

-This user was warned for this post by amp316

I missed this thread somehow, so I'll pretend that that was just posted yesterday and add my two cents.

I thought Rage was pretty good. There was a nice feeling of tension when exploring and fighting the Authority was fun. I liked that you never knew what was around the next corner. However, it wasn't mind-blowing. It was solid but not spectacular. The story was very SyFy Channel and the ending was lame. It was very obviously an installment game without any resolution of its own.

I liked it enough that I'm interested in the next game in the series, though I hope it has more meat to the story and the experience.

now that was a bump,i only noticed on page 2,i thought notstan was in the bargain bin

Above & Beyond