By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Promoting Abstinence "proven to work"

We should teach all children that same sex = better sex, unless they're gay. I don't want gay people to have sex with people of the same sex so if you're gay you have to have sex with the opposite sex.

The benefits of this are three fold.

1. Kids won't rush into having sex, so abstinence will be a rule not an exception until a far later age.

2. Almost no risk of pregnancy even if they do have sex.

3. Men won't have to put up with women and women won't have to put up with men.

Tease.

Around the Network

Abstaining from sex would be unhealthy for both physiological and psychological development and well being. It doesn't seem like a good idea to teach that sort of thing. I think it's better to instead continue teaching correct use of birth control and relationship development.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Yeah these religious idiots against condoms and such have no sense of history and the simple fact that sex among teens has always existed (at least in US).

The only real solution is to teach people the bad side of sex and the way to be safe. This is the only way to realistically cut down on unplanned pregnancy and disease.

OR part of that sex education should also include that the only real way to be 100% safe is to be abstinent until married, etc. But an extreme stance of no contraception is just idiotic.

America has by far the largest teen pregnancy rate in the developed world- so whatever we're doing is not really working. Of course, I'd bet dollars to donuts that we sexualize our children more than any other culture.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

superchunk said:
Yeah these religious idiots against condoms and such have no sense of history and the simple fact that sex among teens has always existed (at least in US).

The only real solution is to teach people the bad side of sex and the way to be safe. This is the only way to realistically cut down on unplanned pregnancy and disease.

OR part of that sex education should also include that the only real way to be 100% safe is to be abstinent until married, etc. But an extreme stance of no contraception is just idiotic.

Exactly. The only way to cut down on the consequences is to prepare for them.

Around the Network
leatherhat said:
America has by far the largest teen pregnancy rate in the developed world- so whatever we're doing is not really working. Of course, I'd bet dollars to donuts that we sexualize our children more than any other culture.

The combination of hormone injected food, sexualization in media, early development, and limited access to birth control is the entire problem here.

Probably one of the biggest problems is that a whole lot of parents reject putting their daughters on the pill, so eventually, that daughter will have unprotected sex, and eventually get pregnant. Many pregnancies happen due to the fallacy of "pulling out". Had they simply been on the pill, it wouldn't have happened. And those kids would be on the pill had their parents not been ogres and scared their kids into going behind their back with 1/10th of the information they should be getting.

This is why I love living in Canada: we don't get 'abstinence only' propaganda. If we do, I've never seen it, and I live in a heavily religious community (2000 people, 6 churches).

What we were taught is that Abstinence is the only surefire way to avoid unwanted pregnancies and the transmitting of STD's, but it was always "But since I know you're going to experiment anyway, here's what you gotta do to play safe," There was never any scare tactics, condoms were and are freely available to anyone, and I remember there being teachers who would happily discuss things with you. Counselors who weren't judgemental pricks.

See, I'm a 'naturist' (I think that's the right term). I prefer to let nature take its course rather than doing all I can to limit natural behaviors and urges. Now I'm not saying we should be encouraging 12 year olds (or however old you may be when you hit puberty, I know people go from 8-13 typically) to be having sex, but since we know experimentation is going to happen, curiosity is a natural function and their bodies are being physically prepared for such things (including pumping them full of hormones that make them want it), the best thing to do is be realistic about it. Accept that, whether we try to keep them from it or not, if THEY want to do it, no amount of ignorant abstinence-only sex education in the world is gonna stop them from trying it.

The only way to get kids to not have sex is to let them decide for themselves that they don't want to. scaring them or flat out telling them not to only makes the curiosity stronger.

*insert obligatory inflammatory religion hate moniker here.* (Seriously, you people wonder why I hate conservatives and religion? this is one of the primary reasons: ignorance and power over knowledge and freedom)

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

theprof00 said:
leatherhat said:

limited access to birth control is the entire problem here.

http://asktheexperts.plannedparenthood.org/?p=2959

"VIn general, parental permission is not needed for prescription methods of birth control like the pill. However, there may be certain locations where, for one reason or another, a health care provider will require parental permission. Check with your provider about her or his policy."

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-center/findCenter.asp

I have yet to meet a girl who did not have access to birth control. I think it is even free. not sure though

thranx said:
theprof00 said:
leatherhat said:

limited access to birth control is the entire problem here.

http://asktheexperts.plannedparenthood.org/?p=2959

"VIn general, parental permission is not needed for prescription methods of birth control like the pill. However, there may be certain locations where, for one reason or another, a health care provider will require parental permission. Check with your provider about her or his policy."

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-center/findCenter.asp

I have yet to meet a girl who did not have access to birth control. I think it is even free. not sure though

Despite it existing, I'm more cautious than you to say that all teens know they have this confidential access.

Especially when you have smaller towns where everyone knows each other and even going into a planned parenthood building is like, she's-getting-an-abortion-rumor-city.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=planned+parenthood+reading+mass&ll=42.391009,-71.309509&spn=1.499044,1.656189&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&fb=1&gl=us&hq=planned+parenthood&hnear=Reading,+Middlesex,+Massachusetts&t=m&z=9

There's apparently 4 PP locations in Massachusetts. That's significantly less than I thought there'd be. I was thinking at least one in every town, like a hospital wing.

So again, I'm pretty sure daughters ask their parents for permission for the most part, rather than making up excuses to get driven a hundred miles into town.

Squilliam said:
We should teach all children that same sex = better sex, unless they're gay. I don't want gay people to have sex with people of the same sex so if you're gay you have to have sex with the opposite sex.

The benefits of this are three fold.

1. Kids won't rush into having sex, so abstinence will be a rule not an exception until a far later age.

2. Almost no risk of pregnancy even if they do have sex.

3. Men won't have to put up with women and women won't have to put up with men.

You should run for President. I know you're not American, but Obama is Kenyan and McCain was Panaman, so it's fine.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective