By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Multiplatform - Is the tide turning at last?

I'll try downloading PS3 and Xbox 360 demos for Burnout Paradise later. They're out already right?

Around the Network

Midway said too that once they had their tools ready the PS3 version of their future games would be the leading one .

You people are a bit confounded .When you port a game with its code integrally to another machine its obvious it wont run perfectly and will have some issues .Confronted with those issues you can do basically two things ,one lower the amount of detail or graphical weight in the game for it to run flawlessly or second leave everything like it is and have the game having some serious frame rate issues .If you take some time to optimize the code you can get to a situation were the game runs nearly the same but has some minor changes and/or framerate problems and very concrete moments in the game.

Thats the lazy/comfortable/take it to the stores as soon as possible approach .

Then ,better developers can just spend some time optimizing the code and having very good results as in GRAW2 ,Colin Mc Rae DIRT ,Oblivion ,Stranglehold etc where the versions are just the same as in 360 when not somewhat superior .

The other way is simply not porting but developing both versions from the ground .Thats the case with Infinity Ward and COD4 and arguably Ubi Montreal and AC ,others in this scenario are Conan by Nihilistic and some others .In most of these games the games looks identical and even have edge on the PS3(better detail in AC ,more online players in COD4 ,etc) .

And theres one more factor to weight in all this .The programming tools .Its not a secret that the Unreal Engine 3 has been having some serious problems with the PS3 and that most games delayed are games running on said engine .Once Epic and Sony worked toghether and fined the engine for the Cell this has opened the gate for multiplattform titles to arrive as soon as the 360 version .Some games as Medal of Honour Airborne and Stranglehold that were delayed without a fixed release date saw another horizon once the UE3 was honed for the PS3 by Epic.Now most games shoulnt have any issues .And the Blu Ray and HDD on the PS3 plus the Cell processing power gives the PS3 some advantages ,the question is how and when will the third parties take the opportunity to use those .If we go after the userbase/sales approach as EA does probably theres a lot of time left ,but good developers are usually technology driven and they will take the PS3 as the main version and then port to the 360 .

@Diomedes

Midway never said that after their tools are done, PS3 will be the lead platform. Midway said that after their tools are done, they are going to develop PS3 games faster w/ hopefully, the same release date as the Xbox 360 version.

And your other points?

Sorry, but I don't know where to start.

@OP: Yes, I think it is. It will turn slowly, though.

I prefer the PS3 to the 360.  But I don't think we've seen the end of the PS3's port problems. There are several issues at work here:

(1) The 360 still has the biggest installed base, and still sells (by far) the most software. This will make it the more likely candidate to be the lead platform

(2) Developers primarily aren't sharing information, engines, programming, etc. Just because a dev team spends extra time optimizing codebase for the PS3, applying special tricks, playing to the hardware's strength, etc doesn't mean all other dev teams will know how to do so or will dedicate the resources into doing it.

(3) The PS3/360 hardware is different, and each have different strengths and weaknesses. The 360 has more versetile memory, more general purpose CPU power, etc. This naturally lends itself to games running better on the 360, although it doesn't guarantee it.

Until the PS3 has a bigger userbase than the 360, it's fairly reasonable to assume there will be a steady stream of ports that play better on the 360 primarily because it requires significant extra effort and resources to get the PS3 version running as well as a 360-first multiplat game.

And, as we've seen, very few development houses are willing to lend those resources to the minor (userbase) platform.

Around the Network
TheBigFatJ said:

I prefer the PS3 to the 360. But I don't think we've seen the end of the PS3's port problems. There are several issues at work here:

(1) The 360 still has the biggest installed base, and still sells (by far) the most software. This will make it the more likely candidate to be the lead platform

(2) Developers primarily aren't sharing information, engines, programming, etc. Just because a dev team spends extra time optimizing codebase for the PS3, applying special tricks, playing to the hardware's strength, etc doesn't mean all other dev teams will know how to do so or will dedicate the resources into doing it.

(3) The PS3/360 hardware is different, and each have different strengths and weaknesses. The 360 has more versetile memory, more general purpose CPU power, etc. This naturally lends itself to games running better on the 360, although it doesn't guarantee it.

Until the PS3 has a bigger userbase than the 360, it's fairly reasonable to assume there will be a steady stream of ports that play better on the 360 primarily because it requires significant extra effort and resources to get the PS3 version running as well as a 360-first multiplat game.

And, as we've seen, very few development houses are willing to lend those resources to the minor (userbase) platform.

I wholeheartedly agree. I do think the PS3 has several advantages over the 360, but the install base of the 360 and the ease of designing for it make it much more popular than the PS3.

Is the tide turning? When it can half the 360's lead, I'd say yeah. However, with the 360 leading in software sales worldwide, I don't think anyone would make the PS3 their lead platform  unless the game was exclusive. 

If such is the case, then 360 to PS3 ports will likely continue to sell marginally at best on the PS3. Smaller developer studios with fewer resources to produce quality ports would be at a severe disadvantage.

At this point in the game, there shouldn't be any developers releasing adequate or inferior ports on the PS3 now that it's becoming increasingly apparent that the hardware can deliver on its initial promises. Games are only going to improve technically for the PS3 at an expanding rate. Improvements on the 360 for games published in 2008, while pronounced, will not likely match the improvements for the PS3. Easier to program for inherently means easier to reach full potential earlier in the console life cycle. While the ceiling is still a ways off for the 360, the limitations will become apparent sooner.

BTW - I thought this thread was asking whether big cross-platform titles were becoming more in line on 360 and PS3 - not whether PS3 would be lead, not whether older games were better on one or the other.

In the last 3 months we've seen a big change in cross-platform equality and one that (confirmed by the devs themselves) is going to continue.

What's too argue about? The evidence is clear. I doubt cross-platform titles are going to get worse on PS3 again nor so I see the situation remaining static so which direction is it going to go in?

Are Ubisoft and all the other devs saying they're now able to deliver pretty much the same game to both lying?