By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Multiplatform - Is the tide turning at last?

Parokki said:

I think you guys are being seriously over-optimistic here. Developers are getting more used to the PS3, but the 360 is still easier and more profitable to work with.

So was the PS2 last gen, but that didn't stop developers making games on the Xbox first later on.

Around the Network

Don't expect much from Turok, whether a 360 or PS3 supporter, you would do well not to hold that game as a measure of anything.

kcua_626 said:

@leo-j

look at the skin of the demon as it transits through the divider to the Xbox 360 area.

Actually, it looks like the PS3 version has some kind of blur filter or better AA to make it look softer.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

@davygee

looks worse to me, less sharp textures = waste of 1080p

I guess it's just a matter of how you wanna look at it.

davygee: Yes, Assassin's Creed sold slightly more on the PS3 in Europe, although the 360 version still wins worldwide. This doesn't refute, and actually futher proves, my claim that working on the 360 is both easier and more profitable.

famine: Are you saying the PS2 was easier to develop for than the Xbox? I haven't exactly tried it myself, but every source I've read is saying the opposite. The Xbox kept getting games from American developers, because it was still relatively popular there, and could cater to the tastes of the local customers. It also had a high concentration of PC gamers who were persuaded into an affair with consoles, and traditionally PC stuff like Bioware's RPGs were pretty succesful.

I suppose this point also works for the PS3 in Europe. Not quite as well due to Europe being more heterogenous than the US in gaming taste, and how the PS3 is harder to work with than its competitors, rather than the other way around, but it's still valid to some degree.

Anyway, here's my point about the topic of this thread, hopefully more logically than in my first reply:

Back when the games getting released now started development, the PS3 was certain to have the largest install base in no time. This was a big reason to develop for it, and pretty much the one thing that made everyone ignore how hard the PS2 was to work with. Oupsie, suddenly it's dead last by a clear margin until 2009 at least, and possibly for the rest of it's life. Now that reason no longer exists, developers are still much more familiar with the 360, and there is that funny little console called the Wii that's looking better and better every day. The PS3 is in a weak position for being chosen as the lead platform of multiplats (let alone exclusives), and getting weaker all the time.

Around the Network

Assasins Creed worse on the PS3 ?I have to differ .Just look at this comparative please :

http://zonaforo.meristation.com/foros/viewtopic.php?t=932648

I would say just the contrary .

Assassins Creed has reports of lock ups and glitches in the PS3 version due to alleged improper testing by Ubisoft. It's unanymous that the 360 version is the better if for quality reasons alone.

@Diomedes

very bad comparison. not even the same angle shots and very unprofessional pictures. I can confirm that Assassin's creed on the X360 looks nothing like that.

Kcua_626

Diomedes is an avid PS3 supporter and has demonstrated in the past that he'll find any reason to believe what he wants in the PS3's favor. Don't worry too much about his take on the matter.

I prefer to take what I can glean from developers, which is basically:

a) we're getting better on PS3

b) there are sales worth getting on PS3 (AC & COD4 & FIFA plus I suspect DMC and Burnout Paradise in the near future)

c) Both machines can produce essentially same results with some differenes in rendering, etc.

So yes, cross platform games are going to only get better on PS3. It' hit the end of it first dry year (which was just about as dry on the 360 until GOW) and the titles are hitting their stride for developers.

Also, the world is bigger than US and the strong sales of AC and COD4 and FIFA on PS3 in Europe with a much smaller install base vs US 360 install base isn't going to be missed by devs.

If you thought PS3 was going to fail because devs were going to abandon the platform or continue to struggle then you were wrong. More and more titles are heading past 1M mark and this year will see more strong cross platform titles than before with big name exclusives.

I don't care either way but I'm amazed people want certain systems to fail. I mean, when I had an Audi or BMW I didn't want Ford, etc. to go out of business.

Also, having looked at AC on 360 and PS3 there are few differenes and those I can see are down to different rendering approaches per machine. To me 360 tends to look sharper with more vibrant colours (but it seems less realistic as a result while PS3 is softer with more realistic look. I'm comparing look of lighting and dust to actual trips to Middle East.

Depends on what you prefer I guess but otherwise the game is essentially the same experience with nothing about either version hurting gameplay