By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Multiplatform - Is the tide turning at last?

AC is better on the xbox period i have tested both versions and the conclusion from about 4 people that were with me said the same thing. Better shadders and lighting on 360 that ps3,betters framerate(after the patch on ps3) also on 360, better AI on 360 than on ps3(monk cover is bug on ps3 no one ever attack you even in the line of site). Just for this matters the x360 version is better and anyone that says the opposite just haven't tested the two version.

Around the Network
Parokki said:

famine: Are you saying the PS2 was easier to develop for than the Xbox? I haven't exactly tried it myself, but every source I've read is saying the opposite. The Xbox kept getting games from American developers, because it was still relatively popular there, and could cater to the tastes of the local customers. It also had a high concentration of PC gamers who were persuaded into an affair with consoles, and traditionally PC stuff like Bioware's RPGs were pretty succesful.

That's what they said regarding the PS2: The architecture wasn't really forgiving. However, when the Xbox came out, the PS2 had the lead, developers were familiar with the hardware, and even though the Xbox was easier to develop for, there were a few games that looked and played better on the PS2:

• Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2:

"This fast-paced driving game is currently available for the PlayStation 2, Xbox, and GameCube, with a PC version to follow at the end of the month. You'd expect that the console versions of this game to be identical, but strangely enough, they're not. While the Xbox and GameCube iterations of Hot Pursuit II are in fact exact ports of one another, they're markedly different from their PlayStation 2 cousin, and in this case, "different" doesn't mean "better." In short, the Xbox and GameCube versions of Hot Pursuit II have slightly detuned graphics, mushier controls, and inexplicably, a variety of minute but tangible ommissions from the PlayStation 2 game."

• SSX: Tricky:

"If you're into snowboarding games, the Xbox has a wealth of choices. But so far, the sim-oriented Amped: Freestyle Snowboarding and the mission-based Dark Summit have failed to hit the mark. Enter EA Sports Big's boardercross game, SSX Tricky. Part racing game, part fighting game, and completely exciting, Tricky for the Xbox exhibits some the obvious signs of being a port but remains a highly addictive and entertaining experience."

• James Bond 007: Agent Under Fire:

"Halo has taught us what to expect from a first person shooter on the Xbox. It's certainly a lofty standard for every game to live up to, but Agent Under Fire could've worked on the Xbox if it hadn't come over as a PS2 port."

• Red Faction II:

"That's all fine and dandy, but there are some problems here in Xboxland. THQ took half a year to bring RF II to Xbox, and the only real enhancement aside from a few graphical bumps was some extra multiplayer maps? This game is screaming for Xbox Live. But the pioneers of Live (THQ published the first Live game) didn't take the game that far. In fact, the game doesn't even support System Link. That's a big knock against RF II. Delayed ports need to utilize the Xbox hardware in some way. Otherwise, what makes a $50 Xbox version better than the PS2 version you can find for $20 in some stores? Answer: Not much."

There were even numerous Gamecube ports that were weaker to the PS2. Even when the PS2 launched, there were games that still looked better on the Dreamcast.

A few developers just need more time to get adjusted to new systems.

Most of these games were started back when people thought PS3 would win

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Parokki said:
The games you list all started production back when it still looked like the PS3 wouldn't be dead last until at least 2009. If anything, decisions regarding games that start development now are made with a less positive mindset towards having the PS3 as the lead platform.

Couldnt be more wrong. The PS2 was the lead platform last time because it had a HUGE install base advantage. The Xbox360 doesn't have the same advantage. So then it comes down to selling games. It would obviously be better to make games on both platforms. They aren't thinking "the Xbox360 has the best install base and is easy to program for, lets make that first."

They are saying "lets go PS3 first, get that running smoothly, then lets port to the 360 since its the easiest way." Its been the most successful, and it will continue. If you have evidence from recent games to the contrary, I wouldnt mind seeing a source.

Parokki said:
The PS3 is slightly outselling the 360 right now. We don't how long it'll last, especially when MS decides to cut prices, and even in the best case for the PS3 it won't pass the 360 in Europe until very late this year. The strong performance of the last few months was mostly due to the 40GB model and holiday sales, neither of which is going to be happening for a while.

I think you guys are being seriously over-optimistic here. Developers are getting more used to the PS3, but the 360 is still easier and more profitable to work with.
Some games have actually sold better on the ps3 the the 360 counter part with less of a fanbase so ps3 will be very important being it has sold pretty good in all regions and not just one. of course the wii is everyones concern

Around the Network

@Jandre

been thinking about your second paragraph, other than Burnout(Sony source), any other confirmed multiplatform games out there being developed using PS3 as the main platform?

EDIT:

Oops, Unreal Tournament 3 is developed using PC as the main platform 

PS3 as the initial development platform is the direction more multi-platform developers are moving towards. It is not a matter of developers of earlier projects thinking along the lines of "the PS3 will be the immediate dominant development platform, but now we're switching to developing on the 360 first due to it's overwhelming sales and marketplace dominance." Seriously, does anyone actually believe that?

Early multi-platforms were initially developed for the 360 because it was available a year earlier and programmers were already familiar with the development on the platform. Everyone knows that.

The reason why more projects are seeing initial development on the PS3 is simply because it is easier to port to the 360. Is it pretty safe to say most developers have an easier time developing for the 360?

^^

sure, but anyone can confirm this? I mean the only statement we have re. this is the Sony PR spin.

I hope to god the tide is turning. With CoD4 showing us how to do Multi-plat right, and DMC4 showing us that again, it can only get better. Especially wit Burnout being developed on the PS3.

@kcua 626.

No, but other than those multiplatform games there arent many more at the current time. If anything its PC first, but we have seen making the 360 version first only leads to huge delays and/or nearly unplayable PS3 versions.

For reputation of your IP/company and to make the most profit PS3 version comes first. Its not like the 360 version will suffer from coming second. The only people worried about it so much are fanboys. But the best multiplatform game results (AC and COD4) come from either PS3 first or seperate developement.