By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Holy crap! eShop has tax

Tagged games:

So, I bought Rolling Western and it doesn't even have registration coins.

Around the Network
Galaki said:
So, I bought Rolling Western and it doesn't even have registration coins.

I hope this isn't the end of getting coins for digital games. It was nice to get 10 coins for my $2 Mahjong DSiWare game...

hentai_11 said:

Heh so it can be done. Put this will probally work until they update the system.

BlkPaladin said:

Heh so it can be done. Put this will probally work until they update the system.

I doubt that they will remove it by a system update. It should be legal to move from one state to another and of course you must pay the taxes of the state where you moved to. There is no GPS in the 3DS so there is no way that the 3DS can tell which tax he should choose. I think it will be kind of funny if most 3DS owners in the USA live in "Alaska" to save tax.

However tax fraud is a crime and every 3DS owner must choose if he want to commit the crime or play by the rules.

Around the Network

I'm glad that in Japan the consumption tax is already included and that the prices are "flat" (not something like 199 Yen, so you'll always have leftover money).

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

Cheebee said:
Acevil said:

Aren't all European Prices with Tax included?

In NA we never have tax included, unless you are using the "points" system of purchasing products. 

As far as I know, they are, yes.

Yup they certainly, and on the receipt it tells you how much of the cost was tax.

I've never paid tax on anything I've purchased online or digitally. When buying games off of the Wii Virtual Console, there was no tax. Amazon and Newegg purchases aren't taxed either.

I live in Michigan. If I go to the store and buy a toaster, it's 6% sales tax. No tax on food though.

Snesboy said:
I've never paid tax on anything I've purchased online or digitally. When buying games off of the Wii Virtual Console, there was no tax. Amazon and Newegg purchases aren't taxed either.

I live in Michigan. If I go to the store and buy a toaster, it's 6% sales tax. No tax on food though.

Newegg charges sales tax though only if you are in California, I believe. They are based in Southern California so Californians, such as myself, get charged tax when ordering from them.

Oh and I agree with you about the prices here in Japan. I paid 700 points for Pushmo (hiku-osu) on the e-shop and it cost me 700 points (700 yen). Tax is already included I guess. No muss, no fuss!

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

I wonder why the tax is so high? 13%, that's crazy high! I remember NYC having a pretty high tax when I visited there years ago.

CA tax varies by county but I'm pretty sure the highest rates are in the 8-9% range, generally being higher in the big cities (LA, SF). My county wasn't too bad in the 7.25 or 7.5 range I believe though it might've changed since I've been gone. Nothing close to 13% though.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"