By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Holy crap! eShop has tax

Tagged games:

ZaP~ said:
Galaki said:
So, where can I "relocate" my 3DS to not get massive tax?

I "have" it Florida and have no taxes, as far as i know that was the only state without taxes...this was a huge advantage in the NBA xD

You mean for the 3DS or overall?

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
ZaP~ said:
Galaki said:

I "have" it Florida and have no taxes, as far as i know that was the only state without taxes...this was a huge advantage in the NBA xD

Overall, every the import companies that brings stuff from USA to Chile is located in Miami, FL

And, as far as i know, that's to avoid adding extra taxes for importing

WiiU/Wii/3DS/DS/Xbox360/PS3/PSP Owner 
3DS FC: 1032-1246-9162  (Nacho)
Nintendo Network ID: Zap786
If you add me, please let me know to add you back

ZaP~ said:
NintendoPie said:
ZaP~ said:
Galaki said:

Overall, every the import companies that brings stuff from USA to Chile is located in Miami, FL

And, as far as i know, that's to avoid adding extra taxes for importing

We have tax though. Our county has a tax of 9% or 8%, I can't remember for sure.

Relocate your 3ds to Tennessee. No online tax for me although I don't know about the eshop. :)

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Arizona has no tax for online purchases and I do a lot of online purchases.

However, I'm betting it looks at your IP connection to define where you are and thus you'd have to actually be in AZ for this to work.

I don't have a 3DS, so I can't test.

Around the Network

In Australia it's a 10% gst on everything except food and the money raised is divided up by the states this was done by the federal government and in return the states dropped a whole raft of local taxes.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

superchunk said:

However, I'm betting it looks at your IP connection to define where you are and thus you'd have to actually be in AZ for this to work.

I'm in Chile and i can buy games online as if i were in Florida, so i guess it's just due to configuration... and should be in that way until IPv6

WiiU/Wii/3DS/DS/Xbox360/PS3/PSP Owner 
3DS FC: 1032-1246-9162  (Nacho)
Nintendo Network ID: Zap786
If you add me, please let me know to add you back

ZaP~ said:
superchunk said:

I'm in Chile and i can buy games online as if i were in Florida, so i guess it's just due to configuration... and should be in that way until IPv6

Ah, well then, someone set it to Phoenix or Tucson AZ and see what happens.

I think it goes by your billing address, so unles you relocate your credit card, you will be out of luck trying not to pay the tax.

Nintendo charges sales tax for Wii points, even though some retailers do not (incorrectly ont the part of the other retailers).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

This isn't new, but 13% holy shit!

And I thought it was bad when MA upped the sales tax from 5% to 6.5%

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League