By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
--OkeyDokey-- said:
Why isn't it on PSN yet? I have no room on my Xbox.

LOL No room on your 360 compared to your PS3 with all the installs? What are you installing man?

Around the Network
lestatdark said:
selnor said:
@ lestatdark.

Yes ff has more in common with san and max hit the road than what role playing is.
Im not wrong here. Stats and level Ups do not and are not what makes a role playing game. I played enough advanced dungeons and dragons septor 2 when I was 10 years old to know what makes a great role playing game. It had nothing to do with stats at all. Stats were just a necessity to work out damage. The role playing part was the character and choices I made.

Funny, I played the same advanced D&D and many other pen&paper RPGs and I still know what makes a great RPG as well. 

And you still are wrong when you say that FF has more in common with Sam and Max than with RPGs. While I remit to my previous post and agree that stats and level ups don't make a RPG, the ability to play out as a character and to influence it does. While FF games are extremely rigid in their structure and character development, they have some parameters from D&D mechanics (which were paramount in creating the JRPG sub-genre) while on the other hand, they have no parameters whatsoever from P&C mechanics, other than P&C games have a rigid structure, but then again, all story driven games have, so that broad generalization wouldn't be effective as a categorization stick.

Mass Effect, as much choices it gives you, it still follows a rigid structure that's pre-ordained and which final outcome is already structured, so no matter your choices, you'll get one of many multiple endings, a factor that has been seen in other computerized RPGs and even RPGs (heck, even the most recent FF has multiple endings based on choices too). So by that definition alone, wouldn't you also say that games like Infamous also categorize as a RPG, given that you also have choices and you also play the part of a character that you grow to a certain outcome? 

If you want to restrict the categorization of RPGs to similar parameters as pure pen&paper RPGs, few, if any, computerized RPGs could meet those standards, because in the end, none offer you true freedom over your character development and story structure. At best, you can say that some games follow the RPG standards more closely than others, yet that will always fall into a biased comparison. For example, while you say that Mass Effect is closer to a true RPG than FF, I'd say that not even Mass Effect comes close to giving you a true RPG experience as an Elder Scrolls game gives you for example.

Have to say I agree with your post.  I was actually thinking down this line as well.

VG's cant ever give us an actual Role Playing experience as Role Playng is intended. Because of the nature of non human on the fly Dungeon Master. Further to that although character creation has become much more provident and briliant it is still set in the parametes of the game and not human mind. 

Going back to my FF Point and Click statement. Thinking about that further, Final Fantasy has taken on several changes. in reference to what I deem FF to be point and click would be FF7 - 9. These PS1 era games were abundant in talking to certain people, finding certai objects to useon certain part to move forward. ESsentially these titles were little more than point and click adventures with a battle engine. I loved them for what they were, but  still remember playing thinking why the hell do VGers refer to these games as Role Playing. 

Stats themselves arre actually present in every genre of videogames and are used to guage how much damage is inflicted with whatever weapon or armour you are using. Call Of duty is governed by the same stats that Skyrim is, albeit with less variables. But although invisible in COD these stats are the same. 

In effect Role Playing is what it is playing the role of a character, which largely is every story driven game out there. 

For me the definition Role Playing Game in a Video Game world should only be given to titles which have character creation, morale choices ( this is important ) and a certain amount of freedom.

Do I think games like Final Fantasy or Grandia or Icewind Dale are RPG's? No. They are adventure games where the player guides ( not plays )  a character designed by someone else ( not me ) through a world and story where I have no effect on the moral choie of my party, who lives or dies or whether I should take specific job offer.

Does that mean they suck? Hell no.

I point all this out why?

because comments like Mass Effect is no longer an RPG imo are absurd.

ME2 had more role playing elemets than ME1.  

Selnor, lestatdark, cut that shit out right now, what is wrong with both of you, stop.

This is about the ME3 demo.

selnor said:
lestatdark said:
selnor said:
@ lestatdark.

Yes ff has more in common with san and max hit the road than what role playing is.
Im not wrong here. Stats and level Ups do not and are not what makes a role playing game. I played enough advanced dungeons and dragons septor 2 when I was 10 years old to know what makes a great role playing game. It had nothing to do with stats at all. Stats were just a necessity to work out damage. The role playing part was the character and choices I made.

Funny, I played the same advanced D&D and many other pen&paper RPGs and I still know what makes a great RPG as well. 

And you still are wrong when you say that FF has more in common with Sam and Max than with RPGs. While I remit to my previous post and agree that stats and level ups don't make a RPG, the ability to play out as a character and to influence it does. While FF games are extremely rigid in their structure and character development, they have some parameters from D&D mechanics (which were paramount in creating the JRPG sub-genre) while on the other hand, they have no parameters whatsoever from P&C mechanics, other than P&C games have a rigid structure, but then again, all story driven games have, so that broad generalization wouldn't be effective as a categorization stick.

Mass Effect, as much choices it gives you, it still follows a rigid structure that's pre-ordained and which final outcome is already structured, so no matter your choices, you'll get one of many multiple endings, a factor that has been seen in other computerized RPGs and even RPGs (heck, even the most recent FF has multiple endings based on choices too). So by that definition alone, wouldn't you also say that games like Infamous also categorize as a RPG, given that you also have choices and you also play the part of a character that you grow to a certain outcome? 

If you want to restrict the categorization of RPGs to similar parameters as pure pen&paper RPGs, few, if any, computerized RPGs could meet those standards, because in the end, none offer you true freedom over your character development and story structure. At best, you can say that some games follow the RPG standards more closely than others, yet that will always fall into a biased comparison. For example, while you say that Mass Effect is closer to a true RPG than FF, I'd say that not even Mass Effect comes close to giving you a true RPG experience as an Elder Scrolls game gives you for example.

Have to say I agree with your post.  I was actually thinking down this line as well.

VG's cant ever give us an actual Role Playing experience as Role Playng is intended. Because of the nature of non human on the fly Dungeon Master. Further to that although character creation has become much more provident and briliant it is still set in the parametes of the game and not human mind. 

Going back to my FF Point and Click statement. Thinking about that further, Final Fantasy has taken on several changes. in reference to what I deem FF to be point and click would be FF7 - 9. These PS1 era games were abundant in talking to certain people, finding certai objects to useon certain part to move forward. ESsentially these titles were little more than point and click adventures with a battle engine. I loved them for what they were, but  still remember playing thinking why the hell do VGers refer to these games as Role Playing. 

Stats themselves arre actually present in every genre of videogames and are used to guage how much damage is inflicted with whatever weapon or armour you are using. Call Of duty is governed by the same stats that Skyrim is, albeit with less variables. But although invisible in COD these stats are the same. 

In effect Role Playing is what it is playing the role of a character, which largely is every story driven game out there. 

For me the definition Role Playing Game in a Video Game world should only be given to titles which have character creation, morale choices ( this is important ) and a certain amount of freedom.

Do I think games like Final Fantasy or Grandia or Icewind Dale are RPG's? No. They are adventure games where the player guides ( not plays )  a character designed by someone else ( not me ) through a world and story where I have no effect on the moral choie of my party, who lives or dies or whether I should take specific job offer.

Does that mean they suck? Hell no.

I point all this out why?

because comments like Mass Effect is no longer an RPG imo are absurd.

ME2 had more role playing elemets than ME1.  

Actually, I have nothing to point out against this last post of yours. It seems we're in agreement on most things, even though we still have our individual opinions on the grounds of computerized RPGs

And I agree with you when you say that comments such as ME no longer being a RPG are absurd, because I also think of them that way.

@Khuutra

You're right good sir. Though I wished this could be about the full game already, i'm tired or replaying the demo and going through ME2 again isn't cutting it anymore

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Lol. Soz khuutra.

I did go off on a tangant. Lol

OT.

Can't wait for mass effect 3. Mass effect is one of my favourite series this generation. I love what bioware have crafted here. =)

Around the Network

Does anyone know, is it possible to just try co-op with my brother on PC?

I don't care much to play with people I don't know. As, I just don't have much fun playing multiplayer shooter's. But if there's a way to play it with only him or mostly him. I'd appreciate help.

I haven't payed much attention to the multiplayer, but it seems you guys are having fun, so I thought I should try it if I could with my brother.

trasharmdsister12 said:

Am I glad I tried this demo or what?! Now I'm more sure than ever about my decision to not buy this until it's less than $20 this coming holiday season.

The gameplay itself is decent but I totally disliked the direction they've taken with trying to make the gameplay more cinematic in nature. The assets in the first mission appeared incomplete at best and up to ME2 level in the second mission (I'm aware this is a demo and this isn't finalized code or art). The writing - well I'm not sure if anyone else noticed it, but I felt a pretty big drop in the quality of dialogue between the past two titles and what this demo showed.

It could just be the demo, that's this cinematic. Sometimes developers try to be too cool, and end up being not for demos.

I'm not sure if the dialogues gotten worse. I think the plot has. Though, they could throw a miraculous twist or too. I've noticed they said a fair amount of cringe-worthy things. Not that I mind cringeworthy. :D

ishiki said:
Does anyone know, is it possible to just try co-op with my brother on PC?

I don't care much to play with people I don't know. As, I just don't have much fun playing multiplayer shooter's. But if there's a way to play it with only him or mostly him. I'd appreciate help.

I haven't payed much attention to the multiplayer, but it seems you guys are having fun, so I thought I should try it if I could with my brother.

Should be. Long as you're friends on Origin you should be able to make a private match and invite him to it. Two-manning can be tough at lower levels, though, even on Bronze.

I'm not redownloading Origin to play the demo.

Downloaded it but not touching the single player, having a lot of fun in coop though