By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Think it quite funny how the demo alone has altered my current gaming habits. Before I on Battefield 3 most of the time whilst also trying to finish Batman Arkham City on New Game +. Now, both of those are collecting dust, I've finally ended up buying Mass Effect 1 (having previously rented it) and also tying up some loose ends on Mass Effect 2. Shame about the demo is since multiplayer was unlocked to the public, I've not been able to get a game.

Around the Network

Was anyone successful in saving that kid

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

lestatdark said:
fillet said:
lestatdark said:
selnor said:
@ lestatdark.

Yes ff has more in common with san and max hit the road than what role playing is.
Im not wrong here. Stats and level Ups do not and are not what makes a role playing game. I played enough advanced dungeons and dragons septor 2 when I was 10 years old to know what makes a great role playing game. It had nothing to do with stats at all. Stats were just a necessity to work out damage. The role playing part was the character and choices I made.

Funny, I played the same advanced D&D and many other pen&paper RPGs and I still know what makes a great RPG as well. 

And you still are wrong when you say that FF has more in common with Sam and Max than with RPGs. While I remit to my previous post and agree that stats and level ups don't make a RPG, the ability to play out as a character and to influence it does. While FF games are extremely rigid in their structure and character development, they have some parameters from D&D mechanics (which were paramount in creating the JRPG sub-genre) while on the other hand, they have no parameters whatsoever from P&C mechanics, other than P&C games have a rigid structure, but then again, all story driven games have, so that broad generalization wouldn't be effective as a categorization stick.

Mass Effect, as much choices it gives you, it still follows a rigid structure that's pre-ordained and which final outcome is already structured, so no matter your choices, you'll get one of many multiple endings, a factor that has been seen in other computerized RPGs and even RPGs (heck, even the most recent FF has multiple endings based on choices too). So by that definition alone, wouldn't you also say that games like Infamous also categorize as a RPG, given that you also have choices and you also play the part of a character that you grow to a certain outcome? 

If you want to restrict the categorization of RPGs to similar parameters as pure pen&paper RPGs, few, if any, computerized RPGs could meet those standards, because in the end, none offer you true freedom over your character development and story structure. At best, you can say that some games follow the RPG standards more closely than others, yet that will always fall into a biased comparison. For example, while you say that Mass Effect is closer to a true RPG than FF, I'd say that not even Mass Effect comes close to giving you a true RPG experience as an Elder Scrolls game gives you for example.

Stop thinking, it sounds like it's harming you.

Charming.

How about adding something meaningful to the discussion? At least some of us actually like to think

Oooh touche :) It wasn't a critisism though to be honest.

SnakeDrake said:
Was anyone successful in saving that kid

Obviously not, it's scripted.

fillet said:
lestatdark said:
fillet said:
lestatdark said:
selnor said:
@ lestatdark.

Yes ff has more in common with san and max hit the road than what role playing is.
Im not wrong here. Stats and level Ups do not and are not what makes a role playing game. I played enough advanced dungeons and dragons septor 2 when I was 10 years old to know what makes a great role playing game. It had nothing to do with stats at all. Stats were just a necessity to work out damage. The role playing part was the character and choices I made.

Funny, I played the same advanced D&D and many other pen&paper RPGs and I still know what makes a great RPG as well. 

And you still are wrong when you say that FF has more in common with Sam and Max than with RPGs. While I remit to my previous post and agree that stats and level ups don't make a RPG, the ability to play out as a character and to influence it does. While FF games are extremely rigid in their structure and character development, they have some parameters from D&D mechanics (which were paramount in creating the JRPG sub-genre) while on the other hand, they have no parameters whatsoever from P&C mechanics, other than P&C games have a rigid structure, but then again, all story driven games have, so that broad generalization wouldn't be effective as a categorization stick.

Mass Effect, as much choices it gives you, it still follows a rigid structure that's pre-ordained and which final outcome is already structured, so no matter your choices, you'll get one of many multiple endings, a factor that has been seen in other computerized RPGs and even RPGs (heck, even the most recent FF has multiple endings based on choices too). So by that definition alone, wouldn't you also say that games like Infamous also categorize as a RPG, given that you also have choices and you also play the part of a character that you grow to a certain outcome? 

If you want to restrict the categorization of RPGs to similar parameters as pure pen&paper RPGs, few, if any, computerized RPGs could meet those standards, because in the end, none offer you true freedom over your character development and story structure. At best, you can say that some games follow the RPG standards more closely than others, yet that will always fall into a biased comparison. For example, while you say that Mass Effect is closer to a true RPG than FF, I'd say that not even Mass Effect comes close to giving you a true RPG experience as an Elder Scrolls game gives you for example.

Stop thinking, it sounds like it's harming you.

Charming.

How about adding something meaningful to the discussion? At least some of us actually like to think

Oooh touche :) It wasn't a critisism though to be honest.

Ah well then. Though since this is the internet, I always have a bit of skepticism towards those kind of posts

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
selnor said:
Lol. Soz khuutra.

I did go off on a tangant. Lol

OT.

Can't wait for mass effect 3. Mass effect is one of my favourite series this generation. I love what bioware have crafted here. =)

It was a very interesting tangant to read though. Hearing Lest and your views on VG RPGs was actually quite entertaining and was a nice example of a good quality video game debate.

And @ bolded: agreed 100%!

Anyone know if the reload trick still works? I haven't checked. This could be important if I intend to roll Claymore.

ME3 multiplayer was impressive. Much more than the single player part.

i found a place can pre order it: http://www.igxe.com/-Affi-IGXE-5890.html ,maybe you can try

Oh man I just unlocked the krogan soldier

It is so fantastic you guys, it doesn't play like a normal soldier in any way whatsoever

Man I am super willing to unlock this big son of a bitch again, once the full game comes out

Edit: Interesting note is that the krogan soldier, when combining Fortification and Rage, could have damage reduction of 60%, which is 1.5 times greater than that of a human Sentinel with Tech Armor. Now a krogan Sentinel with Tech Armor, in Rage, could have damage reduction of 70%, which is almost silly.