By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Oblivion vs. Skyrim

Tagged games:

You know, I am almost afraid of recommend Oblivion to people who never played it but are enjoying Skyrim because going backwards in game series not always have good results... But anyway to the people ho is saying Morrowind is better that any of the last two TES games, would you please elaborate?

Around the Network
Snesboy said:
I absolutely hate Oblivion. I bought it on Steam and let me tell you...the game does not look anywhere near as pretty as those screenshots they released in 2004.

You mean these?

I think they were very truthful to what the final game looked like. My Oblivion has always looked that good. These screens just have slightly more HDR-lighting than the default "HDR on" setting in the PC version.

God I love Oblivion.

CGI-Quality said:

That is JUST what Oblivion looked like. I'm with you on this Slime, game is absolutely incredible! Best RPG to date in my book!

Your kind words toward this game warm my heart.

Slimebeast said:
CGI-Quality said:

That is JUST what Oblivion looked like. I'm with you on this Slime, game is absolutely incredible! Best RPG to date in my book!

I just can't get the game to look that good. I've got all the settings cranked up to max and it just looks so bad to me >.>

Wii_R2_Hardcore said:
You know, I am almost afraid of recommend Oblivion to people who never played it but are enjoying Skyrim because going backwards in game series not always have good results... But anyway to the people ho is saying Morrowind is better that any of the last two TES games, would you please elaborate?

More interesting world, more interesting plot and (although sometimes a bit broken) more interesting game mechanics.

Skyrim also had a pretty interesting world and plot and although the mechanics were fixed they were also dumbed down quite a bit.

Around the Network
Snesboy said:
Slimebeast said:
CGI-Quality said:

I just can't get the game to look that good. I've got all the settings cranked up to max and it just looks so bad to me >.>

That's strange. I know that on some monitors and some settings Oblivion can look a bit grainy and pixelated on the PC even on highest settings and the colors can be a bit dull. I don't know why it happens but I recall having experienced that myself. I recall Oblivion sometimes changed to a "dull" appearance after I updated to new ATI drivers which changed the graphics settings in the Catalyst Control Panel. Perhaps it's a similar reason in your case?

I still feel that Morrowind was vastly better than both Skyrim and Oblivion. Daggerfall was also very good imo.
I feel like the Elder Scrolls series hasn't evolved enough, especially the combat is way too simple and has little to no depth, the changes since the Morrowind days are miniscule at best (blocking as a deliberate action is the only major difference since then). All in all, the series is taking steps in the wrong direction in my opinion.

Slimebeast said:
Snesboy said:

That's strange. I know that on some monitors and some settings Oblivion can look a bit grainy and pixelated on the PC even on highest settings and the colors can be a bit dull. I don't know why it happens but I recall having experienced that myself. I recall Oblivion sometimes changed to a "dull" appearance after I updated to new ATI drivers which changed the graphics settings in the Catalyst Control Panel. Perhaps it's a similar reason in your case?

Yeah, probably. I updated my graphics card and of course had to reinstall to new drivers and since then, the game has looked "meh".

Fallout 3 nukes the hell out of both games IMO, though I'd have to give the edge to Skyrim over Oblivion.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

My vote go to Skyrim.

Game is easy, but if you want to master it you need good Skyrim leveling guide.