By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Oblivion vs. Skyrim

Tagged games:

i agree with slimebeast. skyrim had better graphics. but i enjoyed the gameplay of oblivion more. skyrim didnt give me enough to do with my character. i dont like how hey went about with dual wielding or the shortcut menu instead of hot keys. with dual wielding weapons, there should have just been a damage bonus and defense penalty. that would have allowed attack action, block action, and a spell or power to still be used. i also preferred oblivions skill and attribute system over skyrims. the enchanting system was just plain better in oblivion. but what has killed skyrim for me util mods save it, is the character creation. i want character classes and major and minor skills again.

Around the Network

I absolutely hate Oblivion. I bought it on Steam and let me tell you...the game does not look anywhere near as pretty as those screenshots they released in 2004.

However, I've not yet played Skyrim, but have played Fallout 3. And if Skyrim has all those tweaks Fallout 3 had to improve gameplay, then I'm all for it.

Lastly, this is just a personal thing, but I hated leveling up weapon skills in Oblivion. It was awful.

main quest, landscape, graphics: skyrim is better than oblivion.
mini quests, thieves guild, gladiator arena and dark brotherhood quest line: oblivion is better than oblivion.
both games are rated over 94% on metacritic and deserve their high ratings. both games were rightfully Game of the Year award winners.

One of the things i really miss from Oblivion is the sorting system, remember? You could easy find in a chest the weapon with more or less damage, or the heavier or lighter, or the most expensive. Or the most resistant armor and so on. Why did they change that? Was it too much to ask?

I also miss the Arena

And I miss that little menu window where you could perfectly see your character's looks

Combat was great in Oblivion and they improved it in Skyrim.

I prefer Skyrim music. Maybe I played too much Oblivion but I started to hate it.

Leveling in Oblivion was a punishment. And I can perfectly live without the atributes and major and minor skills and birhtsign and classes and all the rest. Creating a character in Oblivion was way too complicated for me

Leveling in Skyrim is actually a reward (perks)

I like the shouts

I like the fact that if you find a great armor you can use it right away, without having to achive the needed skill level.

Money is not such a big issue in Skyrim as it was to me playing Oblivion

I don't miss having to repair your gear in Oblivion and I love forging my own weapons in Skyrim.

The lockpicking game in Oblivion sucked for me. I enjoyed it so much better in Skyrim

The persuade and change disposition minigame in Oblivion was lame, I am glade that they got rid of that

And I love the fact that bethesda has allow themselves to get influenced by other games like Fable (marriage) and even Rockstar's Red Dead Redemption (The duels)

And even though it can be unfair to Oblivion I must say that the graphics and specially the design in Skyrim is a gigantic leap forward.

Oh! And I love the fact that they were not afraid to include the dragons in the game. Some people say is cliche, I say is a classic, a dream come true.

That's all I can come up with so far. And I agree with most of the people that says that Skyrim is sooo much better in every way. (Even though I am only half way through!) And those who say that Oblivion was better, I see their point.

My feelings in general is Morrowind > Skyrim > Shimmering Isles > Oblivion > Arena > All that shit they did between Arena and Morrowind...

Former something....

Around the Network

I really shouldn't even be commenting on this thread because I've never played Oblivion before; however, if Oblivion is anything like Morrowind, then Skyrim butt rapes it. The combat in Morrowind is abysmal and that's being generous. You can attempt to hit an enemy 15 times and you'll be lucky if you land 1 hit. I'm not kidding. Everything else about Morrowind is great, especially for it's time, but the combat is COMPLETE game breaker. Skyrim is fantastic... as long as it's not on PS3... damn you Bethesda... damn you....

monkeymonk65 said:
I really shouldn't even be commenting on this thread because I've never played Oblivion before; however, if Oblivion is anything like Morrowind, then Skyrim butt rapes it. The combat in Morrowind is abysmal and that's being generous. You can attempt to hit an enemy 15 times and you'll be lucky if you land 1 hit. I'm not kidding. Everything else about Morrowind is great, especially for it's time, but the combat is COMPLETE game breaker. Skyrim is fantastic... as long as it's not on PS3... damn you Bethesda... damn you....

Well I shouldn't comment on Morrowind, but Oblivion's combat is awesome. Skyrim combat is very similiar: just as good or maybe better but  not a whole lot better.

I probably prefer Skrim but it feels more like a simple evolution of Oblivion and Fallout 3. The combat is better, the land is more awe inspiring and it does give me the same sense of wonder I had when I played Morrowind that was absent in Oblivion. Oblivion was more traditional fantasy-fare whereas Skyrim feels more unique and imaginative. I also liked the fact you could choose perks like in Fallout as it gave an extra level of customisation but I do wish you didn't have to spend points on useless perks just to get the one you actually want. The main quest was also good fun and dragon fights were far more entertaining than the repetitive oblivion gates. Dungeons also felt more unique compared to Oblivion (although eventually they do get repetitive, but only after a long, long time)

However, some of the guild questlines in Oblivion were simply superb and that hasn't been replicated in Skyrim. The thieves guild and dark brotherhood were devilishly fun in Oblivion whilst in Skyrim they were fun but ultimately failed to acheive the same spark. The mages/college quests in Skyrim were fun but ended when it felt like they were just getting started. In Oblivion, each guild questline felt like its own game. In Skyrim they're simply short albeit rewarding side stories. They also made the races a bit more generic due to the new system of having no old school RPG stats (e.g. Strength, Endurance etc.) The Redguard Adrenaline Rush for instance is now near useless.

Morrowind > Skyrim >>>>> Oblivion

I felt some aspects of Oblivion were better - I actually preferred the old more complex skill system for example. However an RPG with a crap world and plot is a crap RPG, and that' what Oblivion was.

Morrowind is still the best hands down.

"Defeating a sandwich, only makes it tastier." - Virginia