By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - console market ohh noes ... Sonys doom!!

PS2 has better rivals than the PS1. Wii will hurt PS2 sales although PS2 will be around at least the next 2/3 years. I expect not 12 years because of the Wii.

Around the Network

i think that GBA vs ps3 is a very good rivalry.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

StarcraftManiac said:

Fact is: Wii is poownin PS3... Ds is poownin PSP... U'r just trying to say Sony is winnin (Which it isn't, just as much as you want it...) I do recognize however, that PS2 is still strong but that is Last GEN!

Ps2 is last gen..... yet Wii is getting PS2 ports LOL.

Sony has biggest market share = FACT. 

Hus said:

Ps2 is last gen..... yet Wii is getting PS2 ports LOL.

Sony has biggest market share = FACT.

Sony has also lost the most marketshare thus far in the race = FACT

"There are three types of lies : Lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli ( Made famous by Mark Twain )

PSN ID: DeviantPathways

Wii Number: 0081 3044 1559 2355

Delusional said:
Northstar: the wii remote is the whole point of the wii. not graphics, but gameplay is the selling point.

There is a PS2 controller coming out with the exact same features of the Wii. All it needs is to be supported. Likely it will come to the PS3 in the future as well. Moral of the Story. The controller is exactly that. A controller. If you spend 250$ to buy a controller... You must really love that controller, and there had better be no-where else to get it. (I say in 2 years the controller on the Wii will be replicated on everything)

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

Total money spent is an awful metric when you're comparing game systems ...

When EA is considering whether they are producing a version of a game for a platform which is going to be more important a system which has 10,000 users who spent $10,000 on the system or a system with 1,000,000 unsers who each spent $100 for their system. It really doesn't matter if the $10,000 system has Quad Geforce 8800GTX graphics cards, 2 Quad Core processors, 4GB of memory, a HD-DVD/Blu-Ray combo drive and a 500GB hard-drive because the small userbase will never be able to provide the revinues they're looking for.

The same is true (on a lesser scale) when they compare the Wii and PS3; it doesn't matter how much money was spent all that matters is that the Wii has sold twice as many systems as the PS3 ...

As long as the 10,000 users are buying more games than the 1,000,000 games... They will make them for the console that buys the most games. That would be the 10,000 userbase.

At least that seems to be what is happening to EA.

EA spends tons of money creating a new control scheme, tons of money to advertise the Wii version... Lots more than the PS3 version. Only for it to sell LESS than the PS3 version. Had they spent that money makeing the PS3 version look better, the PS3 version would have sold MUCH MUCH more, probibally more than the PS3+Wii version.

So EA screwed up, spent money makeing controlls for the Wii and advertising it... when if they would have just pimped the graphics, and let the game sell itself, they would have made more money.

Moral of the story. Number of consoles sold... means NOTHING. Number of games sold... does.

The only way to sell games on a nintendo console, is to out-nintendo, nintendo. That is a VERY VERY VERY VERY hard thing to do. 

Well its clear the PS3 isnt exactly impressing with its sales ,thing is the rivals have had a way worse month if we speak about "trends " .After Cvgchartz (before we lost the monthly data and with it the historic american data and all the data outside the Top50 of each month ) the X360 sold some 240K+ units in February and the Wii almost 400K ,dropping 50K and 150K for those consoles in the next month is way worse that merely gaining 2-3K units sold as the PS3 .Its still outsold by both but while last month it was 3-1 by Wii this one is 2-1 for example .I think the supply issue Sony is claiming is simply not true ,still if they can gain some sales and the rivals continue dropping who knows .In any case Sony should profit the X360 rise of price with the Elite to lower the PS3 price .Now that would put them again in the race .

DoesWhatNintenDont said:

Oh I have no doubt that Sony will try and milk Playstation for all it's worth. But I should specify here, Nintendo continued to manufacture NES systems until 2003.

First of all you fanboy you are WRONG. The NES had it's production scrapped in 1996. a full 7 years EARLIER than you said. the SNES was canned in 2003. However I dont recall EVER seeing games for it after 1998. I saw PS1 games commonly up untill 2005. That gave it a actual 10 year cycle. I dont think the SNES was over 8 years.

So your 21 year lifespan on the NES dropped down to about 10.

Try not to bash sony, with AMAZINGLY wrong numbers. Thanks.

EDIT: And just to say this agian. Sony can NOT produce the PS3's fast enough. Stores are buying them as fast as they make them. Meaning Sony is shipping them the minute they are made. That means sony is NOT lying, Sony is stating the facts. Sony for... 'console' sales, only cares if it is sold to a retailer. Sony is still selling out to retailers. Ok. Sony is not lying. (sony never says it is not on store shelves) 

Kwaad said:
HappySqurriel said:

As long as the 10,000 users are buying more games than the 1,000,000 games... They will make them for the console that buys the most games. That would be the 10,000 userbase.

At least that seems to be what is happening to EA.

EA spends tons of money creating a new control scheme, tons of money to advertise the Wii version... Lots more than the PS3 version. Only for it to sell LESS than the PS3 version. Had they spent that money makeing the PS3 version look better, the PS3 version would have sold MUCH MUCH more, probibally more than the PS3+Wii version.

So EA screwed up, spent money makeing controlls for the Wii and advertising it... when if they would have just pimped the graphics, and let the game sell itself, they would have made more money.

Moral of the story. Number of consoles sold... means NOTHING. Number of games sold... does.

The only way to sell games on a nintendo console, is to out-nintendo, nintendo. That is a VERY VERY VERY VERY hard thing to do. 

That is 100% false ...

Anyone who has done game development (regardless on whether it is professional or just mods) will be able to confirm that changing the control scheme is a very minor change; to port a game like The Godfather there was probably only 1 or 2 guys actually doing any work on implementing the control scheme for the Wii while there were dozens (probably in the 36 to 48 range) of artists working on improving the graphics for the PS3 version.

On top of that there is no (real) evidence showing that Wii software is selling worse than PS3 software, in particular not on a level which compensates for the higher development costs of the PS3.

I really don't understand how you can always deny what is being reported everywhere just because it doesn't support the PS3 Kwaad; Wii is selling better, gaining more and more exclusive support from third party developers while the PS3 struggles and finds most of its support disapearing.

Kwaad: this explains why the 20 GB model is being discontinued, right? Because all of the stores were buying them as fast as Sony could produce them? Not because of a lack of demand?

Wow, Kwaad... you should talk to my Macroeconomic Environment teacher... and videotape the conversation... I could use a laugh.