By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - console market ohh noes ... Sonys doom!!

Kwaad said:

Ok guys. I'm gonna stand beside Hus for once... maybe the only time.

But guys, your saying you can twist numbers any way you want?

Saying that you have to count handhelds. Look Nintendo Dominates the handheld market. The Handheld market is NOT a home-console. Diffrent people buy them. People are more inclined to buy more than one. They are easier to break, and when they break your most likely gonna be buying a new one. (the quality applies more to the PSP than DS but still)

Sony is cleaning up the home console market... STILL. When the games come to the PS3 the sales will go up (percentage compared to 360/wii (if it's not still supply constrained)). The big question... When will the PS2 sales drop?!

Will the PS2 be the first console in history to win 2 generations in a row!?!?! 

And I agree with you handhelds are not home-consoles but he just said consoles and consoles are hardware home or not a console is a -gaming platform- meaning handhelds ARE consoles they are not home consoles. Otherwise I'd agree with him I'm just the type of literal jerk who'd argue this fact lol

Around the Network
Kwaad said:

These numbers are GROSS sales.

PS2 - 36,400,000 - 14%
Wii - 64,750,000 - 25%
360 - 74,625,000 - 29%
PS3 - 78,000,000 - 30%

Total - 253,775,000

And for the brand names.

Sony - 44%
Microsoft - 29%
Nintendo - 25%

OMGZOR. Everyone hates sony, and no-one is buying their stuff. Looks like the most money is being spent on sony products... Sony has lost. 

What if we looked at GROSS profits? :)

ps. kwaad, ur ok the way you are right now. u dont have to follow in anybody's footsteps.

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

Also, wasn't March the worst month on record, in regards to the shipment numbers for Wii?

It's still sold out by the way. I can find a PS3 anywhere I go that sells electronics....

Kwaad, your logic is reminiscent of Nintendo's spin they tried to put on GC back when the gross sales of the console sold more than the likes of the Harry Potter movie that was out at the time. “Hotter than Potter” was their tagline. Call me a fool if you like, but I'm pretty sure that Harry Potter would have made a whole lot more money if they could charge the parents and kids $250 per ticket....

Why are we starting to see an increase of "fuzzy" math on this board?

"There are three types of lies : Lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli ( Made famous by Mark Twain )

PSN ID: DeviantPathways

Wii Number: 0081 3044 1559 2355

Applying this logic, General Motors must be doing great because their Gross Revenue is so high.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/fuzzymath.php

Around the Network

I'm not saying sony is makeing a profit. However more money is being spent on the 360... the only console that the Wii beats for total invested money.. is the PS2... and well... that's a 7 year old console... XD

The Wii beats a 7 year old console. wow... amazing... /scarcasm.

Ever hear 'put your money where your mouth is'

Wii game sales are kinda... low. 3rd party

PS3 game sales... arent. 3rd party.

Now the thing about that is... the Wii has great 3rd party games. I have both consoles, I've played the games. The Wii has MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better games. Yet the PS3 has slightly better sales... yet WTF?! Why does the PS3 version sell more, yet have half the consoles sold?!?!?

My point is. Sony isnt doing THAT bad. Sony has the most consoles sold total, and sony has the most being spent on their consoles by a fair 15% ahead of the 360, and 20% ahead of Wii.

It's fuzzy logic, to say nintendo is doing better. Because Unlike the GameCube wich is GONE. The PS2 is still there, and still selling strong. That puts it in this generation as well. And since sony has 2 consoles in this generation, that means you have to add both together to see how sony is doing. Sony *is* winning so far. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

The numbers can all be real we just all have to use our brain when looking at them. Hus has a valid point that right now Sony still holds the majority of the console market. But in using the numbers to make that point to counter the idea that Sony is losing ground is silly. Most of that market share comes from a last gen system. In fact the idea that people are still buying the ps2 like crazy is another bad sign for the ps3.  Where are all the people that would pickup a ps3 with God of War and then a few blu-ray films and motorstorm or something? more people are opting to just buy the old system as if many of them gave up on purchasing a ps3. Plus the ps3 didn't outsell the GBA which is kind of sad. And with Kwaad bringing bringing up total amount spent on the systems, would only be valid if translated into profit. As does with most expensive items. Rolls-Royce don't mind having a small market because not only are they expensive but the mark up is huge, with the consoles though Sony has not a mark up but a mark down. In other words it's not a great acheivement geting 600 bucks for something that cost you 800.

I hate Sony... final

StarcraftManiac said:

Hus, you don't see it do you?!... Always with your pro-Sony talk. Trying to pick out stats that work for you and Sony (which i guess is very hard for you to find)

Btw, Nintendo Wii has sold like 400k in March And DS like 600k...!

And now lets look at the WHOLE picture (Including PSP and DS) (I'm sure you left those out of the equation because they didn't work in your advantage)... Then Nintendo owns more then 50% of the market.

Edit: Nintendo Wii sold A MERE 250k And DS a nice 508k... PS3 at ONLY 130k... PS2 outsellin every next-gen... What the hell, that console is easily gonna live 12 years (Hus... Respect for PS2 cause it Won't leave out of this market...:P)

And to add it up: Nintendo owns about 75% of Japan and has sold more then 50% of the software and hardware in Europe holiday 06.

wow i love people that critisize fanboyism...then go on a non-bias rant way to keep an open mind. The Playstation 2 will continue to sell as long as the Wii does since they are in the same generation tech wise.

Look at it this way if one go into the store and see a PS2 and a Wii running side by side they are not going to see much of a difference. So then if they then look at the price you get a PS2 at less than half the price the number of games are amazing and all you loose is the Wii mote. Alot of casual gamers and non gamers will pick up thae PS2.

Developers realise this too so any game that is not wiimote centric will appear on PS2 as well. The PS2 could be around until the next "next gen consoles" come out. I don't think that in itself helps the PS3 but does help Sony in the long run. It definitly gives credit to them saying they want the PS3 to be around for 10 years or more. I think this proves that this "next gen" came a little to early... both Nintendo and Sony were forced by Microsoft to realese alot earlier than they wanted.

The question is is Wii getting enough of the current PS2 owners or are they getting "new gamers" when the time comes for the huge amount of PS2 owners to upgrade where will they go? My guess is when the Games come so will old PS2 owners series like Socom, Grand Turismo, Rachet and Clank, Metal Gear,and God of war have become Sony's Metroid ,Mario,Zelda and Castlevania. When the sequels to these games come to PS3 the decision to go next gen will be made for most PS2 owners. If they switch to another console instead thats when Sony would be in trouble. Right now though Sony still leads the console market and by the looks of it will not be going anywhere soon even if the PS3 would not sel at all. 

Northstar:  the wii remote is the whole point of the wii.  not graphics, but gameplay is the selling point.

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW