By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Tagged games:

RolStoppable said:
Microsoft is to blame for everything, because they are an evil corporation. They wanted to destroy Rare right from the getgo which is why they opted for Grabbed by the Ghoulies as the first Rare game they published.

Hhhmm.. no. I think you might be thinking of EA, who has destroyed over 7 companies over the last 15yrs including Origin, BullFrog, Jane Studios, Maxis and many others. Rare pretty much killed themselves once the Stamper brothers left. There was no one really left to guide the creative team. The current RARE team is not the same team that created DKC, Banjo & Kazooie, Star Fox, GoldenEye 007 and Conker games. More then 1/2 the original team have left Microsoft.

My problem with Microsoft is that they switched RARE developers into making Kinect games (Kinect Sports & KS2). and Avatar content. Remember, when RARE first started for Microsoft, they created games like VivaPinata, Perfect Dark and Kameo: Elements of Power. All decent games. I think switching them to Kinect games and avatar content was a big mistake though. Still, I think they could have made some brilliant games if the whole team had stayed onboard.   

'gaming till I'm gone'

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Jumpin said:

The issue was that Rare was really only great under Nintendo's guidance. They were the hottest developer in the world (even outshining Nintendo and Square), but they got cocky. Without Nintendo, Rare didn't have that guiding force to keep them on top of the industry.

I don't think they needed Nintendo's guidance per se, they needed Nintendo's audience. Rare is more in touch with what Nintendo fans want than Xbox fans. Everything Rare has put out post Nintendo hasn't been bad. In fact, I think all their Xbox games would have sold significantly better on Gamecube and Wii. Those are consoles where casual games and platformers are in demand.

Basically, Rare was great at selling games to the audience Nintendo built. But they couldn't bring a casual audience to the Xbox.

Well, in a sense they did bring some casual gamers to the XBox 360 with Kinect. Millions bought Kinect Sport and most of the Kinect and Avatar contents was created by Rare. I would rather they made Killer Instinct 2, PD2 and another Conker game. Even a new IP game that didn't support Kinect would be fine with me.

'gaming till I'm gone'

XanderZane said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Jumpin said:

The issue was that Rare was really only great under Nintendo's guidance. They were the hottest developer in the world (even outshining Nintendo and Square), but they got cocky. Without Nintendo, Rare didn't have that guiding force to keep them on top of the industry.

I don't think they needed Nintendo's guidance per se, they needed Nintendo's audience. Rare is more in touch with what Nintendo fans want than Xbox fans. Everything Rare has put out post Nintendo hasn't been bad. In fact, I think all their Xbox games would have sold significantly better on Gamecube and Wii. Those are consoles where casual games and platformers are in demand.

Basically, Rare was great at selling games to the audience Nintendo built. But they couldn't bring a casual audience to the Xbox.

Well, in a sense they did bring some casual gamers to the XBox 360 with Kinect. Millions bought Kinect Sport and most of the Kinect and Avatar contents was created by Rare. I would rather they made Killer Instinct 2, PD2 and another Conker game. Even a new IP game that didn't support Kinect would be fine with me.

I don't think the Avatars brough many casual gamers, It was the Kinect that brought them. We can give some credit to Rare although I'm not sure how much, but you can't ignore they failed for about 10 years prior to that.

MS is sitting on a gold mine of IPs thanks to Rare. I'm hoping they make use of them in the near future.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I think they simply collapsed without Nintendo enlighting them.

AstroMaSSi rules

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
Cheebee said:
Seece said:
Cheebee said:
Rare? Those guys are still around? I thought they'd been disbanded a while ago

Really? They've sold about 6m units of Kinect Sports (1&2) over the last 15 months

Lol, they made those games? I had no idea.

They also made the freakin' avatars :P

Once a Nintendo copycat, always a Nintendo copycat.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Around the Network

After Microsoft bought them out many of their talented workers left and it's all been downhill since.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

amp316 said:
After Microsoft bought them out many of their talented workers left and it's all been downhill since.

It's also important to note that such a talent as Chris Seavor actually was fired (as you know?). Indicating that this recent direction is somewhat on purpose.

But yeah, people leaving is the major problem.

I kinda want to play "Grabbed by the Ghoulies", now. Never played it before.

sony is clearly to blame.

oniyide said:
fastyxx said:
The Viva piñata games are two of my absolute favorite titles on the 360. I thought they were genius and spent several dozen hours with each of them. And Banjo was pretty solid, though I'm not much of a "builder" so it wasn't really totally "me." (I don't sit and make maps or LBP levels or cars or anything like that. Not my forte.) But it was a quality game.

And I still think avatars are completely under-rated.

Really, i always thought they were just better versions of Miis

Actually, I think they are worse than Miis.  You can make/download anyone from Darth Vader - Obama - Link - Mario - Chuck Norris - crazy ass characters with Miis.  I highly doubt that those Microsoft Avatars can be made to look like so many people / characters.