By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Tagged games:

the reason of Rare "Dead" is because "real" gamers don't buy their "real" games until "non-real" game Kinect Sport sold fucking good

Around the Network

You could blame M$ all you want for Rare's downfall... but I'm pretty sure the jokes that were Perfect Dark Zero and Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts were all on Rare.

Two exclusive sequels to Rare's biggest IPs on a next-gen HD console... and that's the best they could do. No wonder all their focus is on Kinect Sports these days.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

The issue was that Rare was really only great under Nintendo's guidance. They were the hottest developer in the world (even outshining Nintendo and Square), but they got cocky. Without Nintendo, Rare didn't have that guiding force to keep them on top of the industry.

Still, they are legends, and probably the best videogame console developer in western gaming's history. The closest is probably Rockstar North, another former Nintendo second party developer that was let go during the N64 era... Only they went in the opposite direction.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

The issue was that Rare was really only great under Nintendo's guidance. They were the hottest developer in the world (even outshining Nintendo and Square), but they got cocky. Without Nintendo, Rare didn't have that guiding force to keep them on top of the industry.

I don't think they needed Nintendo's guidance per se, they needed Nintendo's audience. Rare is more in touch with what Nintendo fans want than Xbox fans. Everything Rare has put out post Nintendo hasn't been bad. In fact, I think all their Xbox games would have sold significantly better on Gamecube and Wii. Those are consoles where casual games and platformers are in demand.

Basically, Rare was great at selling games to the audience Nintendo built. But they couldn't bring a casual audience to the Xbox.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
JayWood2010 said:
Microsoft did not kill rare. Rare's games fit better with Nintendo is the problem. If Banjo Nuts & Bolts, Kameo, Viva Pinata were on the Wii they probably would have done better simply because Nintendo does better with Cartoony type games. Rare can't adapt to making games that fit the 360 nicely which would be nobody's fault but there own

While that is partly true, you will find out that it's actually more complex than that if you read the article (if you have 15 minutes to spare, that is.....).

Microsofts management had a large role in this.

Dude i read the article way before someone posted it on vgchartz and that is my honest opinion about it. The brothers may have quit and microsoft may have been new to the gameing business but in the end Rare were still making the games.  Every company goes through changes and if you cant adapt you will not succeed.  IN this case they survived like they said but if they were with NIntendo they probably would have done better because the games they make fits better with the Wii community.  You dont have to agree with me but yes I read this already on N4G

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
JayWood2010 said:
Microsoft did not kill rare. Rare's games fit better with Nintendo is the problem. If Banjo Nuts & Bolts, Kameo, Viva Pinata were on the Wii they probably would have done better simply because Nintendo does better with Cartoony type games. Rare can't adapt to making games that fit the 360 nicely which would be nobody's fault but there own

While that is partly true, you will find out that it's actually more complex than that if you read the article (if you have 15 minutes to spare, that is.....).

Dude i read the article way before someone posted it on vgchartz and that is my honest opinion about it. The brothers may have quit and microsoft may have been new to the gameing business but in the end Rare were still making the games.  Every company goes through changes and if you cant adapt you will not succeed.  IN this case they survived like they said but if they were with NIntendo they probably would have done better because the games they make fits better with the Wii community.  You dont have to agree with me but yes I read this already on N4G

I'm not disagreeing at all, I did say it was true. But there are examples where Microsofts management had direct effects on Rare's software. Most notably, Perfect Dark Zero was barely finished but Microsoft forced them to rush the game to make it an Xbox 360 launch title.

Yes, that game is indeed great, but I can't even imagine how it would have turned out if Microsoft gave them the time they wanted.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
JayWood2010 said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
JayWood2010 said:

I'm not disagreeing at all, I did say it was true. But there are examples where Microsofts management had direct effects on Rare's software. Most notably, Perfect Dark Zero was barely finished but Microsoft forced them to rush the game to make it an Xbox 360 launch title.

Yes, that game is indeed great, but I can't even imagine how it would have turned out if Microsoft gave them the time they wanted.

I know Microsoft had an affect on Rare, no doubt, but that just shows that Rare is no longer an elite company.  Gears of War and EPIC Games usually doesnt have much time either but they pulled them off and the same goes to uncharted and Naughty Dog.  They both made a trilogy on one console all having metacritics of 90s. I hope Rare does make some good games again but i still think it comes down to the developers mainly at the end of the day.  THey still have showed potential with Kameo, Viva Pinata, Perfect Dark, and Banjo so that is a good thing.  They by no means make bad games right now, just not great games like they once did

JayWood2010 said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
JayWood2010 said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
JayWood2010 said:

I know Microsoft had an affect on Rare, no doubt, but that just shows that Rare is no longer an elite company.  Gears of War and EPIC Games usually doesnt have much time either but they pulled them off and the same goes to uncharted and Naughty Dog.  They both made a trilogy on one console all having metacritics of 90s. I hope Rare does make some good games again but i still think it comes down to the developers mainly at the end of the day.  THey still have showed potential with Kameo, Viva Pinata, Perfect Dark, and Banjo so that is a good thing.  They by no means make bad games right now, just not great games like they once did

Yeah, I'm hoping for some great games in the future too. However, it's too bad they've done such stupid things like firing Chris Seavor and many others (yep, Rare did that, not Microsoft) which I can't understand at all. Maybe kinect stuff is all they'll have/wants to have left...

Oh well, fingers crossed.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
JayWood2010 said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
JayWood2010 said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
JayWood2010 said:

Yeah, I'm hoping for some great games in the future too. However, it's too bad they've done such stupid things like firing Chris Seavor and many others (yep, Rare did that, not Microsoft) which I can't understand at all. Maybe kinect stuff is all they'll have/wants to have left...

Oh well, fingers crossed.

Honesly I dont think Microsoft will allow them to do kinect only titless exclusivly.  I think they might be working on a title for the nexbox  I mean kinect sports couldnt have taken that long to develop and MS knows they will need to capture the hardcore crowd again.  MS seems to keep secrets pretty well so I wouldnt doubt at all that Rare doesn't have a title for the launch of the nexbox like they did with Kameo

Red4ADevil said:
Even though MS bought out the company, it was the stamper brothers who sold their 51% shares to MS in the first place. If they sold them to Nintendo then maybe they would've still been same Rare (but now most of the orignal people who were part of rare are now gone)

Nintendo had the opportunity of buying out Rare but they didn't which is why Rare began seeking other buyers in the first place.

Signature goes here!