By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Let Me Try This Again, Sony Copies Nintendo's Wii U Controller

Foetoid said:

Actually, sorry to disappoint, but you are wrong. Sony filed this Patent in 2010, while the WiiU controller patent was filed in early Feb 2011. Fail. I could just see you reading about the Sony patent and flailing around like a magikarp out of water as your stuck in fits of "Sony Copied Nintendo Siezures" even tho you didn't actually check the dates on which these patents were filed. Nice.

And im a huge fan of all things Nintendo. Its just that this time, noone really copied anyone. It was different when Sony ditched the original Ps1 controller when the N64 came out, added 2 analog sticks and rumble, that was BLATANT copying. But who cares? The games industry is better because of it. Nintendo innovates, everyone does something similar, everyone wins. Next minute you'll be complaining that just because someone came up with hybrid vehicles a while back, that now every car maker is making one. OHHH NOES THEY IS COPYING! /sigh

Ya Nintendo put in a whole wack of work and even made a working model of Wii U and the controller and filed for the patent, just 4 Months before revealing it at E3? Give your head a shake man!. 

I already referred to page 20 on the Nintendo link I posted.

This was patented Feb 2010, along with other patents.The date you are referring to is for all of the patents together. Now thats what I call Fail! 

Gaming Away Life Since 1985

Around the Network

There is proof and then there is definitive proof. The OP provided proof but its not by any means definitive or irrefutable. Fact is The Wii U is doing remote play just like the psp did with the PS3, but it is doing it with the main controller of the console and not a separate portable console like in the case of Sony.

its all semantics. To create a completely new thread just to craft an argument made from patent application which prove your opinion that the wii had this concept first which completely negates the existence of remote play seems... incomplete.

This is the same sort of logic that conspiracy theorists believe in. If there is an argument that looks good on the surface, (like never landing on the moon, or fake 9/11, then it must be true right?)

wrong! We walked on the moon, a bunch of pissed off Muslims orchestrated 9/11, and yes Sony did in fact have remote play before the wii U controller concept ever existed.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

Gunman121 said:
Firstly, Could you please explain what sony is copying? You link us to page 20, yet I’m still unclear as to what you’re citing in both topics.

Second, you tell people to stop attacking you yet … you blatantly treat people as if they’re nerds who have no clear direction? Fair enough if you believe so, but treat others as you wish to be treated .. eh ?

I am referring to a new controller that Sony had patented that is the same basic idea as the WiiU controller.

How do I treat people like nerds? Where the hell did that come from??

oniyide said:
Euphoria14 said:
glimmer_of_hope said:
Panama said:

Pretty sure the PSP came out before 2008.

Also why are you so adamant on pressing this point when you're wrong?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Play

Excuse me how am I wrong? I just provided you proof!

And by the way N64 and Gameboy Advance had console/handheld communication way before Sony!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_GameCube-Game_Boy_Advance_cable 

A cable that allowed the GBA to connect to the Gamecube and supplement gameplay by enabling small games to be played on the GBA in conjuction with Gamecube games.

Hmmm... sounds like the VMU, which came out in 1998. Excuse it for the lack of color.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMU

dont forget Pocketstation or did that not predate VMU??

Pocketstation came out in 1999.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvTgLTrTfqE

lol what a load of horse shit

Around the Network

Wow you're persistent! XD

Hey, why you keep ignoring my posts?

You say this is about tablets, yet you mention the GBA cable.
I prove the GBA cable was not first, and you ignore it.

So, I prove Sony did streaming from console game to handheld first, you ignore it.
You later try to finally rebut by using the GBA cable and I rebut it again, with you of course ignoring once again.

Do I expect an answer in the next thread?

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Yet again, this has nothing to do with PSP or remote play. This is for something new, it was filed in 2010.
Please read before bashing.

I seriously cannot believe the people on this site, I am actually shocked.

glimmer_of_hope said:
Yet again, this has nothing to do with PSP or remote play. This is for something new, it was filed in 2010.

I seriously cannot believe the people on this site, I am actually shocked.

You're initial argument was that Sony copied Nintendo with the Wii U controller, yet that is false because what the Wii U controller is basically an enhancement of what the PSP did and  what the Vita is capable of.

You then go with the argument and claim that the PSP point is invalid because the Wii U was in development before the Vita or the new patent.

You then continue that same line of arguing when you bring the GBA cable into it.

Someone on here says the Wii U patent is later than the Sony patent? Is this true? 

Don't act like you don't remember what was said in this thread as well as the last one.

Regardless, Nintendo are no saints. Just like everyone else, they copy too.

Currently playing:

"Glimmer_of_hope:"" I am referring to a new controller that Sony had patented that is the same basic idea as the WiiU controller.
How do I treat people like nerds? Where the hell did that come from??"

" glimmer_of_hope: "" I cannot be on this site all day defending myself or to write a perfect article.....I have a job and a life.
People really need to stop being so offended to the point of attack because someone decided to write somthing about their beloved console maker. " 

Never the less, all companies are breaking everyones patents. Most companies ignore it, but the big ones take each other to court when they really feel like their feelings are hurt.

Looking over some of the patent details that you listed, I’m not seeing the similarities that you’re suggesting.

1) The hardware does not communicate in the same way
2) Technology presented, does not suggest that sony is doing anything in the same way.

"Glimmer of hope: "" Yet again, this has nothing to do with PSP or remote play. This is for something new, it was filed in 2010.

I seriously cannot believe the people on this site, I am actually shocked. "

You’re missing the point. People are making reference to the remote play, because you’re suggesting that nintendos patent on the controller is UNIQUE. People are telling you, that sonys earlier patents already utilize technology … though arguably in a much different way.