By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Let Me Try This Again, Sony Copies Nintendo's Wii U Controller

Lol, I can't even begin to imagine the awkwardness that would ensue if Sony reveal their PS4 controller at E3 2013 or whenever that'll happen, and it has a bigass touchscreen on it. x'D

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network
oniyide said:
happydolphin said:
oniyide said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
It's funny because no one blames Nintendo for copying the Dreamcast controller.

We all know Ninty NEVER copies, there too good for that, never mind the 2nd stick addon for 3DS!! While we're at it how come no one is saying Kinect copied PSEye.

OT is anyone backing this guy??

So so, here's my view: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4410970

Sony, if this is true, would've copied Nintendo's business idea, while the tech itself is nothing new. It's mostly the API that's innovative in how it leverages the HW.

thats all well and good, but we still dont know if SOny will follow suit with their own tablet controller. Its just a patent, its not near enough proof, hell i remember when Sony had a patent for that PS2 player add on for newer PS3s, they had pics and everything and nothing came from it

I know Oni, notice the big "if this is true" bit in my posts and in the one I linked. Yah, these are all hypotheticals. And since OP found these, saying they're just patents doesn't lead to discussion, so the right thing to do is to run on hypotheticals, keeping in mind the big IF.

Looks like we're all still noobs at this whole forum thing, hence the usual trainwrecks.

happydolphin said:
oniyide said:
happydolphin said:
oniyide said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
It's funny because no one blames Nintendo for copying the Dreamcast controller.

We all know Ninty NEVER copies, there too good for that, never mind the 2nd stick addon for 3DS!! While we're at it how come no one is saying Kinect copied PSEye.

OT is anyone backing this guy??

So so, here's my view: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4410970

Sony, if this is true, would've copied Nintendo's business idea, while the tech itself is nothing new. It's mostly the API that's innovative in how it leverages the HW.

thats all well and good, but we still dont know if SOny will follow suit with their own tablet controller. Its just a patent, its not near enough proof, hell i remember when Sony had a patent for that PS2 player add on for newer PS3s, they had pics and everything and nothing came from it

I know Oni, notice the big "if this is true" bit in my posts and in the one I linked. Yah, these are all hypotheticals. And since OP found these, saying they're just patents doesn't lead to discussion, so the right thing to do is to run on hypotheticals, keeping in mind the big IF.

Looks like we're all still noobs at this whole forum thing, hence the usual trainwrecks.

yep, my bad you did say if.  I hope its not true, just cause I dont think they need it. Vita can do at least some of what the Wii U will do anyway, would be a waste of money to me

@OP, Are you joking? This has nothing to do with Sony fans. You know as well as me that if you say something agaisnt any company you will get backslash from fanboys. Particularly when the point your trying to make doesnt gives anything to anyone. Beside, I guess the right term would be influenced by, not copy, since there is no legal action from Nintendo. Maybe you would have gotten a better discussion using not as negative wording.

archbrix said:
Euphoria14 said

Also, the Vita fits your criteria though. Dual sticks, 4 face buttons, d-pad, shoulder buttons (Vita requires back panel to simulate R2/L2), 5-inch touch screen, ability to stream gaming from console to device. Only difference is that one is mandatory and can function only with it's host console while the other can go solo.

The difference here (I believe) is that the Vita, like the PSP, can only have the console game streamed to it instead of being displayed on the TV, not simultaneously.

Based on the following video of the Zelda HD real-time demo (about 1 minute in), we see that WiiU can actually display the full game on the TV while streaming the full game to the controller screen at the same time, giving it some unique possibilities for simultaneous interaction.  Not sure if Vita/PS3 would be able to do things like that golf demo you mentioned or that shuriken launching demo either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arHNcSMXaBk

Before the PS3 released, SONY demo'd an F1 game for the PS3 being played with the PSP as a controller. The screen of the PSP was a rear-view mirror. That's basically the type of interaction and connectivity the WiiU is promising. SONY just never supported this like they originally stated they would.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
Icyedge said:
@OP, Are you joking? This has nothing to do with Sony fans. You know as well as me that if you say something agaisnt any company you will get backslash from fanboys. Particularly when the point your trying to make doesnt gives anything to anyone. Beside, I guess the right term would be influenced by, not copy, since there is no legal action from Nintendo. Maybe you would have gotten a better discussion using not as negative wording.

+10 for Icyedge.

This is just so true.

4 ≈ One

Wow... this thread has gotten out-of control!

RolStoppable said:
NintendoPie said:
Wow... this thread has gotten out-of control!

Yes, this happens when I, the voice of reason, don't participate in the discussion.

I'm sure of it Rol. You must speak then.

Dgc1808 said:
archbrix said:
Euphoria14 said

Also, the Vita fits your criteria though. Dual sticks, 4 face buttons, d-pad, shoulder buttons (Vita requires back panel to simulate R2/L2), 5-inch touch screen, ability to stream gaming from console to device. Only difference is that one is mandatory and can function only with it's host console while the other can go solo.

The difference here (I believe) is that the Vita, like the PSP, can only have the console game streamed to it instead of being displayed on the TV, not simultaneously.

Based on the following video of the Zelda HD real-time demo (about 1 minute in), we see that WiiU can actually display the full game on the TV while streaming the full game to the controller screen at the same time, giving it some unique possibilities for simultaneous interaction.  Not sure if Vita/PS3 would be able to do things like that golf demo you mentioned or that shuriken launching demo either.

Before the PS3 released, SONY demo'd an F1 game for the PS3 being played with the PSP as a controller. The screen of the PSP was a rear-view mirror. That's basically the type of interaction and connectivity the WiiU is promising. SONY just never supported this like they originally stated they would.

That was a remote play feature (it worked with GT too, if I'm not mistaken).  The fact that it was dropped from the final game could be an indication that the streaming feature didn't work as they had hoped.  Additionally, streaming data to the PSP or Vita to support an alternate view is likely a much less demanding task than streaming an entire game and its full graphics for simultaneous viewing and interactivity on both the TV and the handheld screen, which WiiU is designed to do.

archbrix said:
Dgc1808 said:
archbrix said:
Euphoria14 said

That was a remote play feature (it worked with GT too, if I'm not mistaken).  The fact that it was dropped from the final game could be an indication that the streaming feature didn't work as they had hoped.  Additionally, streaming data to the PSP or Vita to support an alternate view is likely a much less demanding task than streaming an entire game and its full graphics for simultaneous viewing and interactivity on both the TV and the handheld screen, which WiiU is designed to do.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Bold reads particularly well.