By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Let Me Try This Again, Sony Copies Nintendo's Wii U Controller

With Nintendogs Nintendo copied Tamagotchi.

Around the Network
Dgc1808 said:
archbrix said:
Dgc1808 said:

Before the PS3 released, SONY demo'd an F1 game for the PS3 being played with the PSP as a controller. The screen of the PSP was a rear-view mirror. That's basically the type of interaction and connectivity the WiiU is promising. SONY just never supported this like they originally stated they would.

That was a remote play feature (it worked with GT too, if I'm not mistaken).  The fact that it was dropped from the final game could be an indication that the streaming feature didn't work as they had hoped.  Additionally, streaming data to the PSP or Vita to support an alternate view is likely a much less demanding task than streaming an entire game and its full graphics for simultaneous viewing and interactivity on both the TV and the handheld screen, which WiiU is designed to do.

Probably true for PS3-PSP. I'd hold judgement for PS3-PSV and PS4-PSV, though.

I wouldn't hold my breath for PS3-Vita matching the WiiU's performance.  I'm sure they can share some cool interactivity, but again, WiiU was specifically designed for this task; probably the reason that Nintendo went with the rumored POWER7 (2010 CPU architecture) even though the GPU is 2008 architecture (albeit highly customized).

PS4-Vita is much more likely, particularly if Nintendo's new method of streaming becomes the next big thing.  Then we'll have even more of these "Sony copies Nintendo" threads to look forward to...

glimmer_of_hope said:

So I posted a thread the other day and was attacked non stop for it, I also had that thread locked on me for some reason. I was trying to explain how Sony is copying Nintendo's Wii U controller.

But like death and taxes the other quarantee in life is if you say something negative (direct or indirect) about Sony, you will be met head on by fanboys.

I find it extremly sad that a person cannot come on here and post his valid thoughts, whitout being torn to pieces. Especially when the topic being posted not only relates to gaming, but also the future of gaming.

So heres the PROOF that Sony not only copied Wii U's controller, but could possibly be a part of PS4.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20110190052.pdf - Nintendo Patent (page 20)

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=Sony.AS.&s2=PlayStation&OS=AN/Sony+AND+PlayStation&RS=AN/Sony+AND+PlayStation - Sony Patent

This is clear proof that not only has Nintendo been planning/developing Wii U since 2008 but had the controller patent 5 Months ahead of Sony.

In the future please have some respect for what others write. I may not be a professional writer, but this is what I was alluding to. I cannot be on this site all day defending myself or to write a perfect article.....I have a job and a life.

People really need to stop being so offended to the point of attack because someone decided to write somthing about their beloved console maker.

So... because Nintendo filed their patent a whopping 5 months before Sony, they "copied" Nintendo's Wii U controller?

That is either some damn fine industrial espionage (unlikely conspiracy theory), or they simply weren't aware of what Nintendo was developing internally (mostly likely reality). 

Besides, Sony had been working on PSP/PS3 connectivity since before the PS3 was even released. Integration with the PSV will likely be even tighter. So what, if we start seeing the PSV used as a PS3 controller before the Wii U is released, do we make the even more ridiculous claim that "now Nintendo's copying Sony!" Hardly. 

Until we see something that definitively states the PS4 will be shipping with a tablet controller, I don't see how they "copied" anything.

archbrix said:
Dgc1808 said:
archbrix said:
Dgc1808 said:

Before the PS3 released, SONY demo'd an F1 game for the PS3 being played with the PSP as a controller. The screen of the PSP was a rear-view mirror. That's basically the type of interaction and connectivity the WiiU is promising. SONY just never supported this like they originally stated they would.

That was a remote play feature (it worked with GT too, if I'm not mistaken).  The fact that it was dropped from the final game could be an indication that the streaming feature didn't work as they had hoped.  Additionally, streaming data to the PSP or Vita to support an alternate view is likely a much less demanding task than streaming an entire game and its full graphics for simultaneous viewing and interactivity on both the TV and the handheld screen, which WiiU is designed to do.

Probably true for PS3-PSP. I'd hold judgement for PS3-PSV and PS4-PSV, though.

I wouldn't hold my breath for PS3-Vita matching the WiiU's performance.  I'm sure they can share some cool interactivity, but again, WiiU was specifically designed for this task; probably the reason that Nintendo went with the rumored POWER7 (2010 CPU architecture) even though the GPU is 2008 architecture (albeit highly customized).

PS4-Vita is much more likely, particularly if Nintendo's new method of streaming becomes the next big thing.  Then we'll have even more of these "Sony copies Nintendo" threads to look forward to...

Word on the street is that there will be a firmware update, that will allow PS3 games to be streamed to PSV, this is just a rumor, but it might be possible

wow who cares. lame thread.

Around the Network
maverick40 said:

Wow gamers care, lame comment. If you don't like it.....please move alnog.

Gaming Away Life Since 1985

glimmer_of_hope said:
maverick40 said:

No, Die hard Nintedo fans care. Not gamers. They really don't care.

Mmmfishtacos said:
glimmer_of_hope said:
maverick40 said:

No, Die hard Nintedo fans care. Not gamers. They really don't care.

No! No, no, no.

you're wrong mmmmmmm.  No!

lol.

happydolphin said:
archbrix said:
Dgc1808 said:
archbrix said:
Euphoria14 said

Also, the Vita fits your criteria though. Dual sticks, 4 face buttons, d-pad, shoulder buttons (Vita requires back panel to simulate R2/L2), 5-inch touch screen, ability to stream gaming from console to device. Only difference is that one is mandatory and can function only with it's host console while the other can go solo.

The difference here (I believe) is that the Vita, like the PSP, can only have the console game streamed to it instead of being displayed on the TV, not simultaneously.

Based on the following video of the Zelda HD real-time demo (about 1 minute in), we see that WiiU can actually display the full game on the TV while streaming the full game to the controller screen at the same time, giving it some unique possibilities for simultaneous interaction.  Not sure if Vita/PS3 would be able to do things like that golf demo you mentioned or that shuriken launching demo either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arHNcSMXaBk

Couldn't have said it better myself. Bold reads particularly well.

Well, on the other hand, Vita has its own processers and the ability to load the game to its own system the only thing to do from that point is the run the two systems in tandem and a lot less information is required to be passed back and forth.