By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Not all Wii U games need to be in glorious, full-blown HD - Iwata

Play4Fun said:
kitler53 said:
Play4Fun said:
teigaga said:
Iwata makes the mistake of equating "glorious, full-blown HD" graphics to photorealism.

It's not really a mistake since that's how some of the hardcore market thinks.

Just because some people like photorealism doesn't make teigaga's point any less correct.  titles like 3D mario could be really lush and beautiful in "full blown" HD without going anywhere close to photorealism.  Just look at the ps3 releases of ratchet and clank as an example ... beautiful.

at OP - lulz at the thread title.  that's a great "hits" title.  xD

3D Mario is one of Nintendo's big franchises and in the article Iwata clearly stated that their big franchises will benefit from lots of power.

My post to teigaga didn't say anything about people who like photo-realism. It referred to the people who think anything colorful and not photorealistic has sucky graphics.

i don't think i came to that conclusion from what's in that article.  zelda and rythm theif where the only two games mentioned so things like mario (especially 2D mario) could fall into either bucket or perhaps even somewhere in between.

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
Didn't Reggie say they were going to be unlike Sony and release everything in 1080p?... Well! Mr. Iwata's views are much different.

Just because it's rendered in 1080p doesn't mean that the visuals are highly detailed or expensive to produce. You could render Wii Sports in 1080p and the only noticeable difference would be smoother edges. Reggie was likely just pointing out that the Wii U was powerful enough that developers wouldn't need to upconvert a native resolution of 600p like they so often do on current gen consoles.

If Nintendo makes a Wii Sports U, yes, it will be rendered in 1080p. No, it won't look especially better than Wii Sports Resort.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

The ps3 and 360 already have this it is called arcade and ps store games. If Nintendo prices non-HD games appropriately like Sony and MS do than it is a good thing. If they charge full price I would consider it an insult to the consumer and would have more reason to not want to support them. Time will tell.

famousringo said:
NintendoPie said:
Didn't Reggie say they were going to be unlike Sony and release everything in 1080p?... Well! Mr. Iwata's views are much different.

Just because it's rendered in 1080p doesn't mean that the visuals are highly detailed or expensive to produce. You could render Wii Sports in 1080p and the only noticeable difference would be smoother edges. Reggie was likely just pointing out that the Wii U was powerful enough that developers wouldn't need to upconvert a native resolution of 600p like they so often do on current gen consoles.

If Nintendo makes a Wii Sports U, yes, it will be rendered in 1080p. No, it won't look especially better than Wii Sports Resort.

Ahh I see. Although I do think Wii Sports U will look much better than Wii Sports.

kitler53 said:
Play4Fun said:

3D Mario is one of Nintendo's big franchises and in the article Iwata clearly stated that their big franchises will benefit from lots of power.

My post to teigaga didn't say anything about people who like photo-realism. It referred to the people who think anything colorful and not photorealistic has sucky graphics.

i don't think i came to that conclusion from what's in that article.  zelda and rythm theif where the only two games mentioned so things like mario (especially 2D mario) could fall into either bucket or perhaps even somewhere in between.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4403677 

Iwata (from another piece):

"Take The Legend of Zelda franchise, for example, the fans must be looking for the graphic representations that they do not see as cheap at all when the title is released for the Wii U. When it is necessary, we do not hesitate to role out our resources."

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
Play4Fun said:
kitler53 said:
Play4Fun said:
teigaga said:
Iwata makes the mistake of equating "glorious, full-blown HD" graphics to photorealism.

It's not really a mistake since that's how some of the hardcore market thinks.

Just because some people like photorealism doesn't make teigaga's point any less correct.  titles like 3D mario could be really lush and beautiful in "full blown" HD without going anywhere close to photorealism.  Just look at the ps3 releases of ratchet and clank as an example ... beautiful.

at OP - lulz at the thread title.  that's a great "hits" title.  xD

"However, he thinks there are several franchises that will benefit from Wii U’s HD capabilities, like Zelda. “As I mentioned, it is true that, in some software areas, we need to be engaged in the power games."

What Nintendo franchises would need that besides Zelda? 3D mario, Metroid, any RPG like what monolith is rumoured to be working on, etcetra.

seems to me like Iwata is just talking about the equivalent to XBL/PSN games here

selnor said:
I don't see why all Wii U games would not be full hd. Being full hd does not mean the art direction has to change. Full hd will make any game crisper and more colourful. Full hd has got jack all to do with realism. Lol.

This worries me. Every Wii U game should be full hd with its power. And that will not affect dev teams or art direction.
I Remember when Nintendo were at the forefront in graphics technology and Mario was the flagship title to show off awesome visuals. When I grew up with Nintendo, ninty was the console to own for best visuals and best tech right up to the n64. After that they gave up.

for once, i agree with selnor.

HD has zero to do with realism, explosion, photorealism, etc.

you can have arts-y games, like mario benefit greatly from HD.

and it should be difficult at all to get these games to run at native 1080p, unless the wii U really isnt that much of an upgrade over Xbox/PS3

Millenium said:
Photorealistic? No
HD? Yes

Don't be tossers Nintendo, Zelda at 720p or 1080p native, or gtfo.

My hands are shriveled now, reaching like claws, clattering against the cold hard surface of my computer screen. Dear God, they are trying to kill you! Run! Run!

Seriously though, geez, how many of you people are trying to just drop a load on this topic and run? Iwata never said anything about HD graphics, he said graphics that pushed the capabilities of the system. And he specifically said that Zelda would be one of the series that would push the Wii U as far as it would go.

Khuutra said:
Millenium said:
Photorealistic? No
HD? Yes

Don't be tossers Nintendo, Zelda at 720p or 1080p native, or gtfo.

My hands are shriveled now, reaching like claws, clattering against the cold hard surface of my computer screen. Dear God, they are trying to kill you! Run! Run!

Seriously though, geez, how many of you people are trying to just drop a load on this topic and run? Iwata never said anything about HD graphics, he said graphics that pushed the capabilities of the system. And he specifically said that Zelda would be one of the series that would push the Wii U as far as it would go.

I don't think Nintendo would waste one of it's Assassin's on me, if they did I couldn't buy the WiiU (Please Ninty, change the name!)

I hope so, I haven't been enjoying Zelda as of late, hopefully with the new console they'll be able to reinvigorate the franchise.