By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Not all Wii U games need to be in glorious, full-blown HD - Iwata

Play4Fun said:
kitler53 said:
Play4Fun said:

3D Mario is one of Nintendo's big franchises and in the article Iwata clearly stated that their big franchises will benefit from lots of power.

My post to teigaga didn't say anything about people who like photo-realism. It referred to the people who think anything colorful and not photorealistic has sucky graphics.

i don't think i came to that conclusion from what's in that article.  zelda and rythm theif where the only two games mentioned so things like mario (especially 2D mario) could fall into either bucket or perhaps even somewhere in between.

"However, he thinks there are several franchises that will benefit from Wii U’s HD capabilities, like Zelda. “As I mentioned, it is true that, in some software areas, we need to be engaged in the power games."

What Nintendo franchises would need that besides Zelda? 3D mario, Metroid, any RPG like what monolith is rumoured to be working on, etcetra.

well in my opinion - all of them. 

in iwata's opinion - all i'm saying is until he specifically calls out a franchise by name i'm not making any assumptions.  ..except for metroid.  metroid needs the "full-blown" treatment.  :)

Around the Network

You know what I'd like to see? A big-ass Fire Emblem, with no polygonal graphics - it's all hand-drawn sprite graphics, along the lines of Odin Sphere or Muramasa: The Demon Blade. That would look so incredibly nice you guys, man. And would probably be relatively cheap, since the animation demands for Fire Emblem are fairly low.

Personally I agree with Nintendo many of their games will not benefit massively from HD or photo realism. How much better can you make Animal Crossing for example? Their really isn't as much of a drive for big budget visuals. Yes most of Nintendo's franchises will benefit but not all of them. If it boiled down to Nintendo making the game four hours longer or having it rendered in beautiful 1080p I would likely prefer the extra few hours.

Nintendo has always been about the gameplay and have got a long fine without state of the art visuals in the past. Did crisp state of the art graphics help GameGear? 3DO ? Saturn? Ya Nintendo has had power behind it tons of times too but they make games so great you don't need cutting edge visuals.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Iwata, get me a Pokemon MMO, that's all you need to do.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

aside from a few peculiarities of word choice and translation, this is a bleedingly obvious statement

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

how has this destroyed developers.

iwata is just saying that its optional which it is !
if a small time developer (the ones who make mini desktop racers just want to make a game) then thats ok .

remember its for everybody not just one group,

there for its up to developers to use HD and the big ones will . so I don't see why you think this has ruined developers it actually helps .

that if those dont have the money don't have to do it in full 10 80 p HD they can stick with 720 if they want

so no its not going to hurt any one . it will help the ones that don't have the bank.

you don't seam to understand do you.

had microsoft and sony been this way . free radical could have been here. still.
but they said you had to use HD.

so be it, you knew nintendo was not going to always make a game that required loads of graphics .

but when they do it will look beautiful .
mario doesnt need graphics . to suceed but zelda or metroid or fzero could use them to the fullest. you see the point Iwata is trying to make is that you do not need graphics over gameplay all the time . called mixing it up

also another point he should make is first person shooters should have their share of the spot light

and other genres have theres as well this is what made wii fly off the shelves .
the balance of genres .
fun to be had . but if they make the mistake the hd twins made this gen -rely on one genre. your not going to sell 90 million units . and have software sales through the roof out side the notable few. .

come on now

on the hd twins call of duty hogs the spot light

gt5 forza and other titles are lucky to get 3 million -5 million thats no where near call of duty!

another thing I want to add that I hope there is more balance next gen not just for Wii U but for all 3

no genre should be ignored!

this gen theres way to many first persoon shooters. last gen was the same but the previous n64 /ps1 gen and gens before that had a good balance between educational puzzle rpg racing fps .fighting and your occasional quick pick me up

this is the balance I think hd twins sort of missed .

look at how many first person shooters there are vs other genres. I like shooting as much as the next guy but

if there's nothing of note elsewhere besides a few notable racing games and sports games . then its stale because your playing one type of genre all the time. for the majority of the gen .

fps claim 50 percent of this market today . vs a good split down the middle

STAR FOX

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .