By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Not all Wii U games need to be in glorious, full-blown HD - Iwata

Thats great; This type of thinking has destryoed a number of developers cause they wanted to make the most relalistic game in HD. It garnered a lot of reviews but they ended up losing money to a point that they filed for bankruptcy.

Around the Network

Nice to hear they are planning to collaborate with outside developers for the games that require it.

They seem to already be doing a bit of it with 3DS.

spurgeonryan said:
I was not going to comment on this, but I just found an article about this. Why do they need to even think this way at all? This has gotten them in trouble on multiple consoles now. If they want to continue to be successful, they need to embrace graphics. Casual gamers will only buy so many games. They need core gamers to come to the Wii U.
It is possible for them to continue to make games that are great with just mediocre graphics or even decent graphics, but why do it? It is a cop out. People, Stock holders, critics, analyst, etc are weary enough about the Wii U Nintendo. Please do not give more reasons to doubt the wii U.
HD Zelda
HD Pokemon
Start with that.
Oh and HD F Zero and HD Pikmin and HDSuper Smash Bros as well.

He's right though HD doesn't mean that core gamers will instantly buy a game, what he's saying is some games are better off being presentable while using the power for other things.

Zelda, Starfox, WaveRace...

I think titles like that demand high-graphical fidelity. Titles like Animal Crossing, the Wii ___ games, Mario Party, do not need it as much.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

They have talked alot of Zelda graphics. Every day I'm more convinced it will be Twilight Princess similar art style. Maybe the one in the HD experience.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network

It's comforting to hear that they understand the developing a game in HD doesn't necessary mean going the realistic way.

Yes, Zelda or Metroid can benefit from having photo-realistic graphics in HD, but other games like Mario (any of them) or Donkey Kong would, not only not benefit from them, but also get damaged by it.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

I don't see why all Wii U games would not be full hd. Being full hd does not mean the art direction has to change. Full hd will make any game crisper and more colourful. Full hd has got jack all to do with realism. Lol.

This worries me. Every Wii U game should be full hd with its power. And that will not affect dev teams or art direction.
I Remember when Nintendo were at the forefront in graphics technology and Mario was the flagship title to show off awesome visuals. When I grew up with Nintendo, ninty was the console to own for best visuals and best tech right up to the n64. After that they gave up.

With the Tablet being a big part of Wii U, I imagine that there will be a host of low budget games like on the ipad. For the purely tablet based games it may not make much sense to put in the attention to detail that an HD title would require, especially if it is an ipad like game that will be sold for five to ten dollars.

spurgeonryan said:
I was not going to comment on this, but I just found an article about this. Why do they need to even think this way at all? This has gotten them in trouble on multiple consoles now. If they want to continue to be successful, they need to embrace graphics. Casual gamers will only buy so many games. They need core gamers to come to the Wii U.
It is possible for them to continue to make games that are great with just mediocre graphics or even decent graphics, but why do it? It is a cop out. People, Stock holders, critics, analyst, etc are weary enough about the Wii U Nintendo. Please do not give more reasons to doubt the wii U.
HD Zelda
HD Pokemon
Start with that.
Oh and HD F Zero and HD Pikmin and HDSuper Smash Bros as well.

No, he is right. Not every game needs to push hardware to its limits.

That kind of thinking will doom even more devs next gen.

Like Iwata said, the big Nintendo games, such as Zelda and I guess Metroid, 3D Mario will benefit from it but some of their other Franchises don't need that.

It's the same for 3rd party software as well, not every publisher is EA or Ubisoft. the mediun sized/small developers should not feel that they have to match the graphics/production values of the games from the bigger devs.

selnor said:
I don't see why all Wii U games would not be full hd. Being full hd does not mean the art direction has to change. Full hd will make any game crisper and more colourful. Full hd has got jack all to do with realism. Lol.

This worries me. Every Wii U game should be full hd with its power. And that will not affect dev teams or art direction.
I Remember when Nintendo were at the forefront in graphics technology and Mario was the flagship title to show off awesome visuals. When I grew up with Nintendo, ninty was the console to own for best visuals and best tech right up to the n64. After that they gave up.

Iwata didn't say that games should be in HD, what he said is:

“Looking at the software for home console systems, there are certainly the software titles for which very rich graphics must be reproduced on HD displays and which demand a large number of developers to spend a very long time to develop.

“It is one of the truths that a certain number of such software titles must be prepared, or the consumers will not be satisfied. But we do not think that any and all the software must be created in that fashion."

Very rich graphics and graphics in HD are not the same. Zelda, Metroid would benefit from those very rich graphics if only for the enviroments, but in Super Mario Kart so much work would be pointless, an as such making it in 108p@60fps with its usual graphics style should be the way to go.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.