By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo may stop selling the 3DS at a loss between April-October

Source

"Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has said Nintendo expects to make a profit from 3DS hardware sales in the first half of its next fiscal year, which kicks off on April 1, 2012.

The company's money-making ambitions were significantly impacted by August's global 3DS price cut, which resulted in each unit selling at a loss, but things are starting to look rosier, according to the exec.

"I would like to begin with the product profitability of the Nintendo 3DS hardware, which has affected our profit the most for the current fiscal year," he told investors during a financial results briefing.

"Let me first inform you that, in the first half of the next fiscal term, we are now anticipating to get out of the situation that we sell the hardware below cost."

Iwata went on to say that he expects a steady stream of quality 3DS software going forward.

"Furthermore, here you can see the strong line-up of titles to be released in the current fiscal year. And, in the next term, we intend to release these various titles without any extreme interruptions.

"With the fulfilment of software, we are confident that we will be able to make the Nintendo 3DS active for the full year as the mainstream platform in the video game market."

Iwata also announced plans to launch a new side-scrolling 2D Mario title for 3DS during its next fiscal year, which ends March 31, 2013."

Around the Network

Well that was fast. Sony don't expect Vita hardware to be profitable for 3 years.

Panama said:
Well that was fast. Sony don't expect Vita hardware to be profitable for 3 years.

Did they expect a price cut in that estimation?

Excellent news for Nintendo, hopefully the next couple of years are good for them.

Around the Network
Panama said:

What!?

kowenicki said:
Panama said:

Really!?  Got a link for that?  Thats lunacy.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110862-Sony-Will-Lose-Money-on-Vita-Hardware-Sales 

ZaneWane said:
kowenicki said:
Panama said:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110862-Sony-Will-Lose-Money-on-Vita-Hardware-Sales 

That was (way) before the launch numbers came in though.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
ZaneWane said:
kowenicki said:
Panama said:

That was (way) before the launch numbers came in though.

And that's relevant because...? On the contrary, the lower the sales numbers, the less quickly will they cut costs since mass production is reduced. Granted we still don't know how things will go in the West, but my prediction is the Vita will do much better in the Western world than in japan, well at least I expect it to fair very well in North America. Nothing about the actual numbers should affect Kazuo's estimates though.

So they'll be earning money from the 3DS in about a year or so then? Not including the sw sales...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.