By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo may stop selling the 3DS at a loss between April-October

DanneSandin said:
Me, personally, wouldn't buy a handheld for 200 bucks... that's what I got my Wii for! No wonder Vita doesn't sell all too well; if there's one thing we've seen this generation of hw is that graphics alone doesn't sell consoles...

That's what I'm saying.  I wouldn't dare buy a handheld for 250$.  Plus Wii U is on it's way this year and I'm interested, and I just might buy it.  If I was too get both on top of everything else I gotta spend, that would be pocket suicide.

Around the Network
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Indeed, competition is good for everyone. I do wonder though why they would stick to the expensive hardware though. Clearly, that it what's bringing their brand down as both PS1 and PS2 were relatively cheap and still very successful. But yeah, it's not guaranteed *glares at Gamecube*...

Especially when you're 3rd to enter market (cube) and lack the system brandpower and 3rd party backing the PS1 had. In hindsight, the cube was DOA sadly. Nevertheless N still made money during that period and produced some very good games, like some 3rd parties did. But as far as I remember, the cube was more on the expensive side actually. It sold at a small loss I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Nothing like the PS3 though, and I don't think too similar to Vita, Vita seems quite advanced for its time, so I expect significant loss per system.

Then they can drop the price around Christmas and futher pummel the Vita. (Vita better lower price too. I wants one.)

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

Moonhero said:
Then they can drop the price around Christmas and futher pummel the Vita. (Vita better lower price too. I wants one.)

There's no reason to further pummel the Vita as long as it's outselling it, especially not when the profit on each unit finally kicks in (or, um... kicks back...).

Panama said:
I'm just saying it as it is guys, no need for a kerfuffle. The fact they dropped it by $80, acted as if it was a dignified act, and will still manage to make it profitable by April says a lot about its initial $250 launch price.

I'm a 3DS ambassador so i'm just perpetually pissed off with Nintendo, especially when I found out a lot of people picked it up at $170 a week early and managed to also get into the ambassador program. Don't worry I'll love them again once they localize Fire Emblem 3DS.

Why would that matter.... like at all?? You have gotten the ambassador games so why would you care if other people who didn't pay 250 dollar also got them?

I can understand being angry about the fact that in a few months time it dropped 80 dollars. Should I have known that I wouldn't have bought it at launch.  I don't get however why you could get upset about something like that. 

Around the Network

Misleading title.

"Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has said Nintendo expects to make a profit from 3DS hardware sales in the first half of its next fiscal year, which kicks off on April 1, 2012.

So it's April - October ..

Plus, already posted - http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=139273&page=1#4

On the front page as well ...

SleepWaking said:
Panama said:
I'm just saying it as it is guys, no need for a kerfuffle. The fact they dropped it by $80, acted as if it was a dignified act, and will still manage to make it profitable by April says a lot about its initial $250 launch price.

I'm a 3DS ambassador so i'm just perpetually pissed off with Nintendo, especially when I found out a lot of people picked it up at $170 a week early and managed to also get into the ambassador program. Don't worry I'll love them again once they localize Fire Emblem 3DS.

Why would that matter.... like at all?? You have gotten the ambassador games so why would you care if other people who didn't pay 250 dollar also got them?

I can understand being angry about the fact that in a few months time it dropped 80 dollars. Should I have known that I wouldn't have bought it at launch.  I don't get however why you could get upset about something like that. 

The ambassador games was obviously made to make up for the $80 cut, meaning that he then actually paid $170 once the game arrived.

The guy who then got it for $170 plus the game did, in principle, pay $90 (!!!) for it. Unless that guy was really poor or something, he didn't deserve it.

Seece said:
Misleading title.

"Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has said Nintendo expects to make a profit from 3DS hardware sales in the first half of its next fiscal year, which kicks off on April 1, 2012.

So it's April - October ..

Yeah, true. I'll fix it.