By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mr. Iwata Announces 2D Mario for 3DS!

Tagged games:

Im kinda confused here, how can they possibly be posting losses with Hardware sales over 26 million and software sales over 200 million? They've had much worse years when it comes to software and especially hardware.

Around the Network
bobgamez said:
Im kinda confused here, how can they possibly be posting losses with Hardware sales over 26 million and software sales over 200 million? They've had much worse years when it comes to software and especially hardware.

The 3DS was being sold at a loss after the emergency price cut, and Nintendo not planning around the strong Yen. Check the investors' meeting notes on vgchartz, it's all outlined. The dev costs for Wii U are implicitely presumed.

About the 3DS being sold at a loss, nothing to worry about Nintendo announced that come April they should have resolved that and would, if not profit, break even on every portable console sold. Add to this the finalized launch of Wii U and a booming holiday season 2012 for the 3DS, Nintendo will most likely profit strongly this year. The yen problem has always been there, yet Nintendo has profited significantly in the past. Nonetheless, it would be interesting to see if Nintendo has found business/legal solutions to circumvent the Yen to dollar discrepancy.

spurgeonryan said:
TSweirdo said:
Awesome! Day 1 buy.

Do you have a 3DS?

I would think he would Spurge if he said that ;)

spurgeonryan said:
TSweirdo said:
Awesome! Day 1 buy.

Do you have a 3DS?

Yes I have a 3DS.

Pokemon Y FC: 1461-6202-2180

in-game name: Matthew

NintendoPie said:  I think SM3DL was the panicky game. They wanted at least some type of Mario out there because they knew it would push hardware and they were right. 2D Mario is just another game so they can dominate this Holiday season. 

3D Mario Land was showcased with every 3DS unveiling before they released the 3DS.  It was the title that everyone knew was coming.  2D Mario is a game that has nothing to do with the main concept of of the 3DS, which is the 3D part, and yet they want to push it to come out for next holiday season already.

It will dominate the Holiday season when it comes out, but I think when a new formula doesn't come through on expectations it is a common reaction to fall back on the tried and true formula.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  They tried to fix it

Again I really don't care what they do I just hope that it's not a panicky response for the sole reason that I want them to not take any content away from the already planned Wii U 2D Mario title.

Around the Network
robzo100 said:
NintendoPie said:  I think SM3DL was the panicky game. They wanted at least some type of Mario out there because they knew it would push hardware and they were right. 2D Mario is just another game so they can dominate this Holiday season. 

3D Mario Land was showcased with every 3DS unveiling before they released the 3DS.  It was the title that everyone knew was coming.  2D Mario is a game that has nothing to do with the main concept of of the 3DS, which is the 3D part, and yet they want to push it to come out for next holiday season already.

It will dominate the Holiday season when it comes out, but I think when a new formula doesn't come through on expectations it is a common reaction to fall back on the tried and true formula.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  They tried to fix it

Again I really don't care what they do I just hope that it's not a panicky response for the sole reason that I want them to not take any content away from the already planned Wii U 2D Mario title.

I seriously don't think that the 2D Mario is the panicky "we need to get it out there" type of game. It's just, like I said before, another Mario game. It doesn't necessarily show Nintendo doesn't like the way the 3DS is selling or that they are panicking about it. 

... I just noticed that if the Wii U comes out with NSMBM and then the 3DS's 2D Mario... That can't be right. One of them won't release this year, or Nintendo might just go crazy and release both of them..... Ah! I don't know. XD

NintendoPie said:
robzo100 said:

I seriously don't think that the 2D Mario is the panicky "we need to get it out there" type of game. It's just, like I said before, another Mario game. It doesn't necessarily show Nintendo doesn't like the way the 3DS is selling or that they are panicking about it. 

... I just noticed that if the Wii U comes out with NSMBM and then the 3DS's 2D Mario... That can't be right. One of them won't release this year, or Nintendo might just go crazy and release both of them..... Ah! I don't know. XD

I'm pretty sure Ninty said that was a tech demo and not an actual game, unless they said something different from E3. Am I missing something

oniyide said:
NintendoPie said:
robzo100 said:

I'm pretty sure Ninty said that was a tech demo and not an actual game, unless they said something different from E3. Am I missing something

You aren't missing anything it's just that a lot of people on this site have been specualting that NSMBM could be a launch game for the Wii U. Which does make sense but having two in the same year? I'm not sure...

Between this and Pikmin 3, EAD Group 4 must be soaking up a lot of resources. Or is Pikmin going to be delayed AGAIN?

Love and tolerate.

NintendoPie said: I just noticed that if the Wii U comes out with NSMBM and then the 3DS's 2D Mario... That can't be right. One of them won't release this year, or Nintendo might just go crazy and release both of them..... Ah! I don't know. XD

Well remember how They said they wanted the new smash bros game to be a simultaneous release on 3ds and Wii U?

Maybe we just found something out about the next 2d Mario.  It may come out for both systems simulataneously since they both use the same technology (pad, stylus, and motion control).  It may be a launch title for Wii U to demonstrate the cross over functionality that 3DS games will eventually have with Wii U.

I wouldn't be suprised especially since a Mario launch title makes sense on all accounts.  That being said, they may want a Wii Sports type of approach for a launch game (generic overview of the system's functionality).