By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mr. Iwata Announces 2D Mario for 3DS!

Tagged games:

RolStoppable said:
theprof00 said:
RolStoppable said:

Kinect didn't eat into Wii sales. Suppose the Wii existed in a vacuum, its sales would have gone down dramatically in 2011 regardless. That's the course of life for consoles that have their release schedule drying up.

Well, I'll just have to trust you that 360 gaining a sales boost relative to the wii decline is purely coincidence.

The Wii decline was much bigger than the 360 gain. But if pretending that something like Kinect could stop Nintendo helps you to sleep better at night, then by all means B_E_L_I_E_V_E in it.

I'm not saying that 360 stole wii's thunder, mr. defensive, but don't you agree that people who might have bought a wii, bought a kinect instead? Kinect is the fastest selling consumer electronics device of all time. Only a large audience could possibly be capable of such a feat, not hardcore gamers. Given that these purchasers are likely part of the "expanded audience" don't you think that competition has arisen?

And yes, I know you're just being defensive. But learn to take a backhanded compliment a little more gratefully.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
RolStoppable said:
theprof00 said:
RolStoppable said:

Kinect didn't eat into Wii sales. Suppose the Wii existed in a vacuum, its sales would have gone down dramatically in 2011 regardless. That's the course of life for consoles that have their release schedule drying up.

Well, I'll just have to trust you that 360 gaining a sales boost relative to the wii decline is purely coincidence.

The Wii decline was much bigger than the 360 gain. But if pretending that something like Kinect could stop Nintendo helps you to sleep better at night, then by all means B_E_L_I_E_V_E in it.

I'm not saying that 360 stole wii's thunder, mr. defensive, but don't you agree that people who might have bought a wii, bought a kinect instead? Kinect is the fastest selling consumer electronics device of all time. Only a large audience could possibly be capable of such a feat, not hardcore gamers. Given that these purchasers are likely part of the "expanded audience" don't you think that competition has arisen?

And yes, I know you're just being defensive. But learn to take a backhanded compliment a little more gratefully.

Off.....fucking.....topic......

Take it to PM for fuck's sake.

Vita needs Monster Hunter.

theprof00 said:
RolStoppable said:
theprof00 said:
RolStoppable said:

Yes, but the idea is that we can't know if Kinect actually stole sales from the Wii because of how Nintendo really didn't support the Wii all year. The Wii's decline is entirely Nintendo's own doing, with possibly the third party conspiracy factoring in

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Awesome! Day 1 buy.

Pokemon Y FC: 1461-6202-2180

in-game name: Matthew

Crazy suggestion, but how would you guys feel about online co-op similar to local multiplayer in NSMB Wii?

Around the Network
Panama said:
Crazy suggestion, but how would you guys feel about online co-op similar to local multiplayer in NSMB Wii?

Hmmm... That could be cool but I doubt Nintendo will go for it. If they do it wouldn't be the whole game it would probably be mini games.

Panama said:

should've been like that from day one, IMHO. Just have it more co-op like instead of who can screw the other the hardest and we'll be golden

NintendoPie said:
RazoDigimax said:
robzo100 said:
I really hope this doesn't mean they are taking away material from the already-being-developed nsmb for Wii U.

My feeling is that this was a fallback plan if 3d mario didn't do well, meaning they didn't originally have a 2d title planned

I don't get this. 3D Land is doing fucking fantastic - so I doubt it's a "fallback" plan.

I'm notorious for misunderstanding things, tho.

It's not a fallback plan. Nintendo said themselves that SM3DL was doing good. The DS had SM64DS and then they came out with NSMB, they always do it.

It's doing good, which is acceptable if it is to be the premiere 3DS title.  But 3ds sales are clearly not where Nintendo wanted them given their latest statement.  So even with the sales this premiere 3d title can't seem to push hardware.  This is why I think their 2d mario is a fallback, especially so soon when they say next fiscal year.  Sounds panicky to me...

robzo100 said:
NintendoPie said:
RazoDigimax said:
robzo100 said:
I really hope this doesn't mean they are taking away material from the already-being-developed nsmb for Wii U.

My feeling is that this was a fallback plan if 3d mario didn't do well, meaning they didn't originally have a 2d title planned

I don't get this. 3D Land is doing fucking fantastic - so I doubt it's a "fallback" plan.

I'm notorious for misunderstanding things, tho.

It's not a fallback plan. Nintendo said themselves that SM3DL was doing good. The DS had SM64DS and then they came out with NSMB, they always do it.

It's doing good, which is acceptable if it is to be the premiere 3DS title.  But 3ds sales are clearly not where Nintendo wanted them given their latest statement.  So even with the sales this premiere 3d title can't seem to push hardware.  This is why I think their 2d mario is a fallback, especially so soon when they say next fiscal year.  Sounds panicky to me...

I think SM3DL was the panicky game. They wanted at least some type of Mario out there because they knew it would push hardware and they were right. 2D Mario is just another game so they can dominate this Holiday season. 

theprof00 said:
RolStoppable said:
theprof00 said:
RolStoppable said:

Well, I was happy to read it, can I be grateful for him or that doesn't count? :P

About what he said, I think what he means is that the decline in Wii sales is 100% Nintendo's fault (bad strategy). The 360's sales have their own merit, but didn't cause a decline in Wii sales since people were not gonna get it anyways, it wasn't a "this or that" choice, since there was no "this" (should I get the Wii) in the first place. If it's what I think he means, I kind of agree. Then again say bye bye heavy-hitting 3DS games had they supported the Wii instead of focusing on next gen. Both were important, but I think Ninty made the better choice ultimately, even if it meant almost 2 years dry spell with a handful of heavy-hitters. Business-wise this path was the better one I think. If you guys took this offline already, nevermind me. :P