By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WiiU to be launched at the end of the year in all markets

From Iwata's Q&A

Nintendo: to launch Wii successor in key markets for year-end

OSAKA, Japan | Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:36am EST
(Reuters) - Nintendo will launch a successor to its Wii game console in the U.S. and other key markets in time for the crucial year-end shopping season later this year, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata told reporters on Thursday.

He said the WiiU would be launched in the United States, Europe, Australia and Japan for the year-end season.

(Reporting by Yoshiyuki Osada; Writing by Edmund Klamann; Editing by Edwina Gibbs)

Around the Network

So, we get to taste it before the world ends. That's not so bad.

Will most likely launch in Japan first.
Don't see them doing a simultaneous worldwide launch.

I thought this was common knowledge.

I think everyone was (pretty much) expecting this ...

The real questions are whether Nintendo will release it earlier in the season (early October) or later (late November or Early December), whether it will launch on the same day in all regions or be released days/weeks apart, how many units Nintendo will be able to produce/ship, and how much it will cost.

Around the Network
Galaki said:

I disagree. We got to taste the awesomeness only to be ripped apart a few days later.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

I call dibs. Now, which one is it. *stares*

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Very nice so some time between october-December? hmmmm should be good.

I'm betting on first launch being in September with final major market launch in November.

Galaki said:

Nope, it is going to bomb hard. Knowing humans, there will be mass panic come the end of the year and everyone will be spending their money on water and canned goods, thinking it will keep them alive after the apocalypse.

There won't be any money left to spend on the Wii U.

Now, with the 720 launching in 2013 it is going to sell boatloads thanks to what I mentioned above. People spent so much on canned goods that they don't need to buy anymore throughout 2013, enabling them to save up plenty of cash for the 2013 holiday season, and the 720 will be the new HOT item.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!