By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
elprincipe said:
Kwaad said:

Who is buying Wii's? If you plan on buying a Wii say what consoles you have owned, and how many games you buy a year.

How many games you have total (guess)
How many games you buy a year. (give a guess)

Well, I plan on buying a Wii as soon as they become available at Best Buy (not that I like Best Buy; I hate them actually...but I have $250 in gift cards to use there).

Consoles owned: well, it's a lot. Everything from Atari VCS, a lovely beige TI-99/4A, Colecovision, Vectrex to Playstation 2, GameCube and everything pretty much in between. A bunch of portables like DS, GG, TurboExpress and Lynx as well (always prefered non-Nintendo handhelds until GBA).

Games total? Hmm, I have over 700 NES games alone, so it's probably somewhere around 1,500+. Yes, I know that's insane. :D

How many per year? It really depends...when I was building my collections of older games it was a lot more than now, when I basically wait for a sale/clearance. Maybe 30? Probably more.

What?  700 NES games?  If you live in the States, that's what... like $20,000? 

the Wii is an epidemic.

Around the Network

You bring up a good point there, Kwaad. Lets run through what I own:

Dreamcast - I own 12--16 DC games 

PS2 - NFL 2K5, Space Channel 5 part 2, Gran Turismo 3, MGS2 -- so 1 out of 4 games being Sony 1st Party - 25%

Cube - SSB:M, Lego Star Wars, Mario Golf, Metroid Prime, Mario Strikers, Animal Crossing, F-Zero GX, Viewtiful Joe, Ikaruga, Batallion Wars, MLB 2005, Madden 2006 -- So maybe 6 games out of 12 being Nintendo 1st Party (though I may have omitted some of my other games), - 50%

I support my 3rd Parties!

Lingyis, you bring up an interesting point about EA developing for the Wii with no-brainer titles like MySims.

I would say that since EA was slow to jump on the Wii bandwagon, they simply said to themselves, "hey guys, our shareholders will be mighty PO'd if we don't get some games on it!"

So, they (like many, many companies) scrambled to get lousy ports in place for the console. A few reasons why:

- mindshare: If a publisher is associated with the console first, chances are people will follow the brand when buying their next game, knowing that this publisher is spending time and money on the console.

- they are all trying to get a foothold in with the Wii, but they all were caught flat-footed with the console's runaway success. As they had no idea that the console would be so successful, they didn't have the time to plan their games or their releases to match the console's demographic. Hence, the "let's get Madden, Blackhand and whatever else we can quickly port onto this console, because we just don't have a clue (yet) what people will buy." In other words, these publishers came late to the Wii ballgame, and worse, they came without a gameplan.

Now time has passed, and market research has revealed numbers that these publishers can strategize upon; EA is starting to play Wii hardball - first, the Wii-centric games (MySims), and now a complete studio dedicated to nothing but the DS and Wii.

Now EA knows what the market is like, who they are going to market to, and more importantly, what games they need to develop and publish to suit that market. 

This is not just EA; most publishers late to jump on the Wii bandwagon have realized that they need to come out with distinct games with unique features to suit each console's demgraphic. 

Atari, NES, Genesis, 2 Dreamcasts, 2 XBox, 2 Gamecubes, 1 Wii. I have never owned anything Sony, just never cared for their games and seen how bad the hardware was from my friends experiences. Games I owned 5 or so Atari, 5 NES, 7 Genesis, 20+ Dreamcast, 2 XBox (Shenmue 2, Halo), 8 Gamecube, 5 Wii. Surprising thing is the only Nintendo game I owned for the Gamecube was Zelda: OoT.

"I only own a Wii because it's something I can't do on the PC."

Actually there are already programs u can install to use wiimote and nunchuk on the pc, u just gotta configure which buttons and movements do what. You wont get the same games on PC but it can do exactly the same thing. The PC can do everything, thats why it costs a fair deal more then a console.

Around the Network
torfred said:

Actually there are already programs u can install to use wiimote and nunchuk on the pc, u just gotta configure which buttons and movements do what. You wont get the same games on PC but it can do exactly the same thing. The PC can do everything, thats why it costs a fair deal more then a console.

Correct, but keep in mind that not everyone is "geeky" enough to know how to install those scripts, let alone write one themselves; additionally, there is the entire OOBE to consider.  having to go through the trouble to get games/peripherals/stuff to work on a PC is also the reason why so many people prefer console gaming - it just "works".

torfred said:

Actually there are already programs u can install to use wiimote and nunchuk on the pc, u just gotta configure which buttons and movements do what. You wont get the same games on PC but it can do exactly the same thing. The PC can do everything, thats why it costs a fair deal more then a console.

yeah, i've read about it.  but as you said i won't get the games, like Wii Sports, or warioware.  what's the point then? 

i think it'll be cool to give presentations using the wii remote on the projector screen. 

the Wii is an epidemic.

In the past i've owned the nes,snes,gameboy,ps1 and ps2.

Now i just have a Wii and DS Lite. I have 4 games each. Lately i've been mainly playing VC games on the Wii, which i have 13 to choose from. Super Paper Mario will probably be the next game i buy.

WiiFit will be 2008 #1 selling game in NORTH AMERICA!  
End of '08 Predictions: Wii - 48m X360 - 25m  PS3 - 19m
Wii monthly NA sales will top 400k every month in '08. *Jan sales ruined it. Grrrr!*
WiiFit will top 1m in sales in its first month of release in North America.
MGS4 will NOT be released in '08. *Darn it!* FF13 will NOT be released in '08.
Rockband Wii will top 600k in first month sales in North America.
WiiFit will pass the PS3 WW sales by Xmas '09.

Lingyis said:
elprincipe said:
Kwaad said:

Who is buying Wii's? If you plan on buying a Wii say what consoles you have owned, and how many games you buy a year.

How many games you have total (guess)
How many games you buy a year. (give a guess)

Well, I plan on buying a Wii as soon as they become available at Best Buy (not that I like Best Buy; I hate them actually...but I have $250 in gift cards to use there).

Consoles owned: well, it's a lot. Everything from Atari VCS, a lovely beige TI-99/4A, Colecovision, Vectrex to Playstation 2, GameCube and everything pretty much in between. A bunch of portables like DS, GG, TurboExpress and Lynx as well (always prefered non-Nintendo handhelds until GBA).

Games total? Hmm, I have over 700 NES games alone, so it's probably somewhere around 1,500+. Yes, I know that's insane. :D

How many per year? It really depends...when I was building my collections of older games it was a lot more than now, when I basically wait for a sale/clearance. Maybe 30? Probably more.

What? 700 NES games? If you live in the States, that's what... like $20,000?

I do live in the States, but I seriously doubt that they're worth that kind of money. I don't have the most valuable games, which are (in order) Nintendo World Championships 1990, Stadium Events, Bubble Bath Babes, Hot Slots and Peek-a-Boo Poker. All of those can go for hundreds if not thousands of dollars. I got most of my games years ago when they got really cheap (they sold for like $1/game on eBay for most game lots and oftentimes cheaper than that in places like Funcoland). NES is my favorite system by far, IMO the best system ever made in terms of good games. Checking my list, my exact numbers are 749 games (not counting doubles, but counting label variations), 296 manuals and 244 boxes. I also have some Famicom and PAL NES games, plus tons of other NES-related stuff like controllers, systems, etc.

I guess since I'm yapping on about my crap I'll yap on some more.  Here are the systems I currently own:

Atari VCS (aka 2600)

Atari 7800 (doesn't work)

Intellivision

Colecovision (w/Atari VCS converter)

Vectrex

TI-99/4A

NES (front- and top-loading)

SMS

TurboDuo

Genesis (w/Master System converter)

Sega CD (front-loading)

32X

SNES  (w/Super Game Boy)

CD-i (probably the worst system of all of these...yes, worse than 32X!) 

Neo-Geo AES (w/MVS converter)

Jaguar 

Saturn

PS1

N64

Dreamcast

PS2

GCN (w/Game Boy Player)

and handhelds... 

GameBoy Advance

GameBoy Advance SP (also a NES edition, of course!)

DS

Game Gear

TurboExpress

Lynx

Neo-Geo Pocket Color

Sega Nomad

Game Axe (portable Famicom)

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

Lingyis said:
torfred said:

yeah, i've read about it.  but as you said i won't get the games, like Wii Sports, or warioware.  what's the point then? 

i think it'll be cool to give presentations using the wii remote on the projector screen. 

There is no specific point but u could say the same for any console that has games that PC doesnt, why stick with PC when u cant play the cool console games, i just thought it was odd that u said u dont buy consoles cause PC can already do it. And some people enjoy using the wiimote in various PC games. But in terms of what it can do PC will always be able to do everything.