By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 flops in US (March) - what now?

YOU are forgetting something....

By the mid of march Nintendo had already reached its goal of 6MM...

I believe they've been increasing their production but they did not ship it because they wanted to wait until the new fiscal-year... 

That would explain this march's sales... if this theory is correct, we should see and big increase in april's sales... 

Around the Network

PS3.. a flop... no... the virtual boy was a flop. The PS3 is having a rough time with no games. Sony has a total of like 16 games coming out in the next 3 months. This will help. The Home Beta will help some too. As long as Sony sells 100k a month in the US, above 10k a week in Japan, and maybe 200k for the rest of the world the PS3 isn't going to fail. I think at the end of this generation Sony will accomplish being the first gaming company that has been on top for 3 generations in a row.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Sony should just keep making games for the PS2 and cut its loses on the PS3. It doesn't seem like people are ready for the "next generation". I am just confused on why you would make a new console when you still have almost 300k (almost) consoles being sold every month and over 1000k consoles already sold. I know that the NES was outselling the SNES for a while and what not but at that time nintendo wasn't losing HUGE amounts of money with every SNES sold and had billions of dollars invested into developing the SNES. If sony waited longer then more games would be available near or at launch and things would not have been some bleek for them. I hear talk about how developers are forming wii studios and what not after a few months! I wonder if that would have happened if the PS3 was not out... people would be like "wait until the ps3 comes out... you'll see".

ssj12 said:
PS3.. a flop... no... the virtual boy was a flop. The PS3 is having a rough time with no games. Sony has a total of like 16 games coming out in the next 3 months. This will help. The Home Beta will help some too. As long as Sony sells 100k a month in the US, above 10k a week in Japan, and maybe 200k for the rest of the world the PS3 isn't going to fail. I think at the end of this generation Sony will accomplish being the first gaming company that has been on top for 3 generations in a row.

Well, how many games were released for the Dreamcast in its 2 year life?

Momentium shifts in the videogame industry are typically sparse and small, and currently the PS3 needs a pretty major sales improvement to be brought up to the sales of the Gamecube.

It is mimicking the ps1 in speed. (launch) Price drops will accelerate it, and once it hits $300 and under, it will be going at ps2/wii speed.

Around the Network

Just found this article/press release from Sony. What a bunch of COMPLETE lies. I am very much not impressed:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=24341

Firstly, as *everyone* here knows March NPD covers 5 weeks - not 4 (Feb). So there is no "2%" increase in sales, they have actually dropped (in terms of weekly, or even monthly sales).

And secondly, to suggest the figures were low because of "constrained stock issues" in the US is just a complete lie. I haven't seen any reports or issues with the PS3 "selling out", or not being available when people want to buy one. I think a quick look at a stock tracker will show PS3 in stock just about everywhere - with the Wii being the one that is sold out.

Nice going Sony - lets piss off your customers even MORE, and hope that helps the situation. I'll like to see what excuse you come up with next month.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

shams said:

Just found this article/press release from Sony. What a bunch of COMPLETE lies. I am very much not impressed:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=24341

Firstly, as *everyone* here knows March NPD covers 5 weeks - not 4 (Feb). So there is no "2%" increase in sales, they have actually dropped (in terms of weekly, or even monthly sales).

And secondly, to suggest the figures were low because of "constrained stock issues" in the US is just a complete lie. I haven't seen any reports or issues with the PS3 "selling out", or not being available when people want to buy one. I think a quick look at a stock tracker will show PS3 in stock just about everywhere - with the Wii being the one that is sold out.

Nice going Sony - lets piss off your customers even MORE, and hope that helps the situation. I'll like to see what excuse you come up with next month.

really amusing ...

maybe someone should tell sony to visit itrackr.com

holy sh*t - sony really thinks people are stupid

Gamecraze said:
It is mimicking the ps1 in speed. (launch) Price drops will accelerate it, and once it hits $300 and under, it will be going at ps2/wii speed.

Why?

The Playstation was given a very long time to build momentium because it launched against the Saturn (a product from a company which had alienated consumers and developers through lack of support of the Sega-CD and 32X; and was also sold at an amazingly high price) and 18 months before the N64 (a product from a company which had alienated developers through its attempts to control development). Besides name, what do these two systems have in common?

Looks like Nintendo pushed Wiis for Europe in march, because of the PS3 release. At least in here the quantities have been pretty big, since some stores had some consoles in the shelves (mosty in stores, that haven't sold Nintendo in few years). And they have had bigger quantities than what the supply was at it's release in december. The Godfather sold less than what i expected on Wii and PS3 both. But it's pretty old game anyway, PS2 owners have it on PS2 and propably new features aren't enough to get them buy the new version. Almost equal sales numbers of 3rd party games, between Wii and PS3, is propably because of wider usergroup of Wii (also the casual and non-gamer group have bought the Wii, if it's happened to be available in stores). How does Kororinpa sell? If it's pretty much equal with Godfather, then the usergroup for both games is equal for Wii. And, PS3 doesn't come with a game, so you have to buy one if you want to play. Usually people buy a game, when they are tired of playing the old one and this could take a month or two, and for casual gamers even more. PS3 sells one game for one console sold, but Wii doesn't sell even that one game (this is just a principle). For example, Viva Pinata, it didn't sell too well (at least what i know), despite of no competition and wide userbase. It just weren't a game for 360s targetgroup. The PS2 sales could look pretty strange, but looking at kids in stores bargaining their parents to buy them a console, they usually give an option (this is what i have noticed) to buy "console X" or PS2 (which "all" their friend have). So when given this option, parents looks at the price, Wii (if available) 270 EUR, 360 Core about 300 EUR and PS3 around 690 EUR, when PS2 is 160 EUR. So Sony gets to sell lot of PS2:s to the first console buyers. Sony after all rules the kids market with PS2 and there are a lot of kiddy games for PS2. Also Guitar Hero, Singstar and Buzz are pretty good games for the non-gaming audience. And then there are the people who reason PS2 as a cheap console with lots of cheap games. PS2 IS pretty good deal at the moment.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Gamecraze said:

Ah yes, the system launch fallacy.

The system launch fallacy is to believe that consoles of a similar brand somehow have similar sales trends, when in fact every console is usually quite, quite different. The only thing that the Ps3 and Ps1 have in common is... wait... crap. I figured I'd have a witty quip to put there, but I honestly can't think of a single way (even jokingly)  to compare the two consoles.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.