By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 flops in US (March) - what now?

Well, now that the figures for March are out we can properly dissect and analyse them.

To me, the big news is that the PS3 flopped. This was meant to be its 'comeback' month (as stated by Kwaad, and other PS3 ... fans).

The sales were going to be driven by Motorstorm (1st party, exclusive PS3 title), HOME announcement (stories of people seeing the announcement, and "rushing out" to buy a PS3), various other releases (Oblivion, MLB). And to top it off, the top selling title for the month - God of War II - would have been a great title to run on a PS3 (improved graphics, etc...).

But with all of that, the PS3 FLOPPED. It not only came last in sales, the sales were down approximately 20% over February (comparing a 5-week sales period to a 4-week period).

The sales in the US averaged around 25k / week, and the sales in Japan around 25k / week (over the same period).

The sales are weak, it is being comprehensively outsold by all its competition (including its older brother the PS2) - and there are no significant exclusives hitting the console for months to come.

What happens now? The obvious answer is a "price-cut" (similar to the Xbox1 had, when faced with a similar sales/market position last generation). If Sony don't cut the price - what happens to the PS3? Will a price cut of $100US even make that much of a difference?

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

If I'm a third party PS3 developer right now I'm scared. If a game like MotorStorm can't sell decently with no competition, how is any game outside of a select few going to sell in the face of heavy competition?

Wii sales dropping. Wii is a failure. PS2 to be the first console ever to take 2 generations on.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad said:
Wii sales dropping. Wii is a failure. PS2 to be the first console ever to take 2 generations on.

Wii is supply constrained, only 3% national availability according to Itrackr

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Well, Sony has decided that it want the console with the most staying power.  In a year or three, when the cell is old news, when chips muuucccchhh better than 65nm are available, when blu-ray devices are everywhere, sony will be able to implement some serious price cuts. 

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Kwaad said:

Wii is supply constrained, only 3% national availability according to Itrackr

that was scarcasm.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Hey, I'll at least admit that the Wii shipments are disappointing. I'm not going to be fanboy delusional. I'm not even going to take a swipe at the poor sales of other systems. Nintendo needs to get it's act together and ship more Wiis. No fanboy excuses here.

i think he was just being sarcastic... ps3 isnt flopping people calm down.. i could say the 360 is slowing down alot sales went down  from the month before

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

FishyJoe said:
If I'm a third party PS3 developer right now I'm scared. If a game like MotorStorm can't sell decently with no competition, how is any game outside of a select few going to sell in the face of heavy competition?

How is selling 200,000 not decent? That's over 10% of PS3 owners. That also doesn't include European sales where the game has been at the top of the charts. The game also sold pretty "decently" in Japan too. This is just as bad as the myth that PSP owners don't buy games when in fact the attach ratio is exactly the same as the DS (at least in the States).

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

shams said:

Well, now that the figures for March are out we can properly dissect and analyse them.

To me, the big news is that the PS3 flopped. This was meant to be its 'comeback' month (as stated by Kwaad, and other PS3 ... fans).

The sales were going to be driven by Motorstorm (1st party, exclusive PS3 title), HOME announcement (stories of people seeing the announcement, and "rushing out" to buy a PS3), various other releases (Oblivion, MLB). And to top it off, the top selling title for the month - God of War II - would have been a great title to run on a PS3 (improved graphics, etc...).

But with all of that, the PS3 FLOPPED. It not only came last in sales, the sales were down approximately 20% over February (comparing a 5-week sales period to a 4-week period).

The sales in the US averaged around 25k / week, and the sales in Japan around 25k / week (over the same period).

The sales are weak, it is being comprehensively outsold by all its competition (including its older brother the PS2) - and there are no significant exclusives hitting the console for months to come.

What happens now? The obvious answer is a "price-cut" (similar to the Xbox1 had, when faced with a similar sales/market position last generation). If Sony don't cut the price - what happens to the PS3? Will a price cut of $100US even make that much of a difference?

im not going to try to justify these awful sales, but im also going to have to call you on this.  Motorstorm sold aproxamately 1 out of every 6 US consoles, pretty good IMO and by normal standards

And the fact you didnt know MLB is coming out May 15th may just show the farce that is this baited topic.  And oblivion had 2 weeks on sale (not that it would have really helped anyway IMO but still) 

Whats interesting is that for every console this month needs spin.  Xbox below 200k (because of elite right) Wii dropping (supply, this is probably true, but the fact that they only had this much available still is stupid) and the PS3 (only system to improve even with the Euro launch focus)

So lets start a XBOX drops below 200k It's a flop!!!!  Yeah i figured this wasnt a discussion thread my bad, burn sony burn!!!!! do i fit in now?