By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 flops in US (March) - what now?

FishyJoe said:
Hey, I'll at least admit that the Wii shipments are disappointing. I'm not going to be fanboy delusional. I'm not even going to take a swipe at the poor sales of other systems. Nintendo needs to get it's act together and ship more Wiis. No fanboy excuses here.

Thank you. A Wii fanboy that can admit defeat. (they are still selling like hot-cakes, but nintendo needs to fix the supply problems, or else they will NEVER pass the 360. At the rate from march, it looks like it will take... years to pass the 360 in america. If it ever passes it.

The biggest suprise was this.

37The Godfather: Dons EditionEA8,64928,319
44The Godfather: Backhand EditionEA7,24223,713

The graphical diffrence, is minimal. The gameplay is better on Wii. It is just a better Wii game.

WHY does the PS3 have 16% more sales?!?!?!?!?!?!

The Wii has almost 2x console sales,. A game better on Wii than PS3... Straight multiplatform port, looks almost the same on both consoles... better on the Wii... WTF!??!?! It sells better on PS3?!?!

Just... WTF!?!?!

(I expected Wii to smash PS3 on this game)

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

Hey something new. I dont feel like spending the time gathering these numbers.

How what are the attach ratios on 3rd party games for all consoles, in all regions. 

Kwaad said:
FishyJoe said:
Hey, I'll at least admit that the Wii shipments are disappointing. I'm not going to be fanboy delusional. I'm not even going to take a swipe at the poor sales of other systems. Nintendo needs to get it's act together and ship more Wiis. No fanboy excuses here.

Thank you. A Wii fanboy that can admit defeat. (they are still selling like hot-cakes, but nintendo needs to fix the supply problems, or else they will NEVER pass the 360. At the rate from march, it looks like it will take... years to pass the 360 in america. If it ever passes it.

The biggest suprise was this.

37The Godfather: Dons EditionEA8,64928,319
44The Godfather: Backhand EditionEA7,24223,713

The graphical diffrence, is minimal. The gameplay is better on Wii. It is just a better Wii game.

WHY does the PS3 have 16% more sales?!?!?!?!?!?!

The Wii has almost 2x console sales,. A game better on Wii than PS3... Straight multiplatform port, looks almost the same on both consoles... better on the Wii... WTF!??!?! It sells better on PS3?!?!

Just... WTF!?!?!

(I expected Wii to smash PS3 on this game)

There is much more content for Wii owners, unless its  a must have game, software sales will always be spread thin, especially with game sliek Wario War, SSX, Zelda....games that Wii owners are more prone to......

steverhcp02 said:

There is much more content for Wii owners, unless its a must have game, software sales will always be spread thin, especially with game sliek Wario War, SSX, Zelda....games that Wii owners are more prone to......

Yeah, and the PS3 is all about graphics. It looks almost the same on both palatforms. As long as 3rd party games like that... sell... like that. (attach ratio) 3rd party devs will look and say. "I can make a low budget, low graphics game... for the PS3... brute force code it so it's 4x easier to code... and it will sell better than if I finesse coded it."

Basically if you wanna make a cheap game. You can make it cheaper on the PS3... and it would sell better. 

jman8 said:
FishyJoe said:
If I'm a third party PS3 developer right now I'm scared. If a game like MotorStorm can't sell decently with no competition, how is any game outside of a select few going to sell in the face of heavy competition?

How is selling 200,000 not decent? That's over 10% of PS3 owners. That also doesn't include European sales where the game has been at the top of the charts. The game also sold pretty "decently" in Japan too. This is just as bad as the myth that PSP owners don't buy games when in fact the attach ratio is exactly the same as the DS (at least in the States).

You said it, it's 10% of PS3 owners which means that it didn't sell many systems if any. A good title will get people excited enough to buy at least some systems. This game was hyped by some to push PS3 sales to 300k. Instead PS3 sales went down 20% calculated on a weekly basis. 

Around the Network

yea i agree with you on that steverhcp02/// every console has some spin to to it..  so people spin it in their favor.. ps3 flops this month but yet 360 is only 60k ahead of it... wii is supply constrained which is prob true but gets outsold by ps2...360 sales are supposedly low because the elite is coming.... ps3 has 1 game come out thats supposed to move consoles but yet sales only rise 2%... its simple people pay attention... majority of games that have come out durin this time period so far are ports.... ports dont move alot of consoles..

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

If you want to make a cheap game you can make it cheaper on PS3? Huh?

Obviously, many "traditional" games are not going to sell on Wii. EA will have to make different types of games. And obviously, message board hype means next-to-nothing when it comes to actual sales.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

The point of Motorstorm was to sell systems, and clear it didn't as PS3 sales actually went down in March (adjust for extra week).  I don't see how you can twist these numbers in a good way. 

Just admit it Kwaad, you were claiming PS3 sales were gonna pick up in February, then you were claiming PS3 sales were gonna be 300k in March. 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

FishyJoe said:
jman8 said:
FishyJoe said:
If I'm a third party PS3 developer right now I'm scared. If a game like MotorStorm can't sell decently with no competition, how is any game outside of a select few going to sell in the face of heavy competition?

How is selling 200,000 not decent? That's over 10% of PS3 owners. That also doesn't include European sales where the game has been at the top of the charts. The game also sold pretty "decently" in Japan too. This is just as bad as the myth that PSP owners don't buy games when in fact the attach ratio is exactly the same as the DS (at least in the States).

You said it, it's 10% of PS3 owners which means that it didn't sell many systems if any. A good title will get people excited enough to buy at least some systems. This game was hyped by some to push PS3 sales to 300k. Instead PS3 sales went down 20% calculated on a weekly basis. 

You never said anything about Motorstorm selling/or not selling systems in your post. All you said is that 3rd parties are probably scared b/c a good game didn't sell well. Well, the game did sell well, and good third party games will sell equally as well considering the number of PS3 owners are on the rise. The PS3 is basically selling at 360 pace from last year, which means that by Christmas they'll have sold probably about 8 million units. So why should 3rd parties be shitting their pants again? Oh yeah, this doesn't even bring up the fact that a third party could always port their PS3 game to the 360.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

steverhcp02 said:

im not going to try to justify these awful sales, but im also going to have to call you on this. Motorstorm sold aproxamately 1 out of every 6 US consoles, pretty good IMO and by normal standards

And the fact you didnt know MLB is coming out May 15th may just show the farce that is this baited topic. And oblivion had 2 weeks on sale (not that it would have really helped anyway IMO but still)

Whats interesting is that for every console this month needs spin. Xbox below 200k (because of elite right) Wii dropping (supply, this is probably true, but the fact that they only had this much available still is stupid) and the PS3 (only system to improve even with the Euro launch focus)

So lets start a XBOX drops below 200k It's a flop!!!! Yeah i figured this wasnt a discussion thread my bad, burn sony burn!!!!! do i fit in now?

A few points here:

- Motorstorm was supposed to be a "system" seller. People want to play the game, and hence buy a PS3. Doesn't look like this happened.

- For a "hard-core" console with few games (and even fewer exclusive) titles worth playing, I would have expected Motorstorm to sell a lot better. Maybe the US doesn't care that much about racers... or maybe the game hasn't been as well received as people thought.

Re: MLB - oops, my mistake (for some reason I thought that a PS3 release, not a PS2 one).

Im not commenting here on the performance of other consoles - they all have their own tale to tell this month. And for once instead of deflecting the blame to other consoles, see if you can stay on topic - and suggest what can be done for the PS3. Feel free to disagree with my conclusions though (at the top), and (try to) argue that the PS3 actually had a good month.

C'mon Kwaad - YOU predicted PS3 sales of 300k this month. Not even half of that was sold, and over a 5 week period to boot.

(or is the best you can is throw some Godfather sales figures at us?)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099