By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 flops in US (March) - what now?

I agree, as the time passes, the chances of Sony shrink. This generation i think it's lost for the ps3, it'll be like Gamecube, will have some good games, but won't have quantity, and this is fundamental

"Everything you do, comes back to you."

Around the Network

Major Blockbuster, million dollars productions: 360 Family, party games: Wii Obscure games, ports: PS3 360 best thing that happened to video-games enthusiasts since PS2. (yes I can glorify the 360 and be a PS2 fan. It's my life, it's my wallet)

I think Sony needs to start with a worldwide PS3 price cut, and go from there. If they can only afford a $50 cut fine, but $100 would be better, and maybe a $150 cut where it's way overpriced in Europe. The fact is the price is a bigger hindrance to the system than the software. I think most people know the software will be there eventually. I think a problem with not only the PS3 now, but the 360 which has hardly been lighting up the charts, is that the majority of American household don't have HDTVs yet, and it's even a smaller penetration in Europe and Japan. The 360 and PS3 are HD systems, and it's much easier to make the arguement to get one to someone who has an HDTV than one who doesn't. Until there's a rapid explosion of HDTVs I think both systems will be in the drivers seat to the Wii, which I see as the dominant system over the next two years.

Those people who only own PS2 in the previous generation will move to the Wii for this generation. From a console comparison, Wii is going the route of the PS2 with its rapidly growing userbase. From overall comparison, Wii is closely trailing the DS. At this point as well, EA is already giving the Wii many games, exclusive and multiplatform. From historical facts, EA has always gone with the console system with the most userbase. So far, EA still develops multi-platform games for 360 and PS3, but keeps most of its exclusives on the Wii. I think EA feels that Wii is more deserving of new IPs since they feel 360 audience aren't receptive to non-action games (Viva Pinata debacle comes to mind). From historical perspective, Square has always gone with the system that has the most userbase as well - remember the announcement of FFVII going to PS1 instead of N64? This means that there is a high probability Square might decide to create FFXIII on the Wii or the 360. Creating it on the 360 might hurt the brand name in Japan although they will still get profits. Creating it for Wii will require downscaling the graphics although it will ensure Square has a PS2 of this generation in the form of Wii and profits as well. There is very little chance they will continue to develop for the PS3 since any investment in the PS3 seems too much of a risk for such a small profit.

I think if they'd actually advertised the Wii version of Godfather it would've sold a lot better.  Tiger Woods Wii seems to have done pretty well.

Around the Network

the majority of American household don't have HDTVs yet, and it's even a smaller penetration in Europe and Japan. Actually, Japan is at over 60% penetration. The country is densely populated, so living space is at a premium. Ultra thin HDTVs caught on fast. And of course there goes the argument that people will want the more powerful consoles in a few years when HD penetration goes up. Its already up in Japan, and they aren't buying many PS3s, let alone 360s.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Erik Aston said:
the majority of American household don't have HDTVs yet, and it's even a smaller penetration in Europe and Japan. Actually, Japan is at over 60% penetration. The country is densely populated, so living space is at a premium. Ultra thin HDTVs caught on fast. And of course there goes the argument that people will want the more powerful consoles in a few years when HD penetration goes up. Its already up in Japan, and they aren't buying many PS3s, let alone 360s.

Erik,

I didn't know that. That's...hilarious! XD 

"There are three types of lies : Lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli ( Made famous by Mark Twain )

PSN ID: DeviantPathways

Wii Number: 0081 3044 1559 2355