By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why doesnt Sony charge for PSN membership?

Should Sony charge for PSN membership?

Yes, it makes sense. 108 24.16%

NO! 297 66.44%

I couldn't care less, man-bear-pig! 42 9.40%

Total:447
room414 said:
Metroid33slayer said:
Saeko said:
Would prefere free, but its good for sony and gamer, if they have more money they make more quality game.

Keep telling yourself that when they are screwing you up the ass.

For October i picked up Kingdoms of Amalur, Shadow of the Colossus and Hotline Miami all for $3.33. If that's getting screwed up the ass then i hope it never stops.

Your forgetting the point, he said it was good for gamers that they have to pay to access online gameplay. How can that be good for gamers? He has got sony's genitals rammed firmly down his throat and so have you.

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

Around the Network

They do if you wanna play online on the ps4. Everyone will need to be a ps + unless you plan to stick with certain free to play games

attaboy said:
Everything changes in time, I guess. Women voters, black golfers, white rappers, gay marriage, Sony charging for online. It's the world we live in.

Wait... what?

EDIT: Oh, I thought that said white rapers

Jay520 said:
attaboy said:
Everything changes in time, I guess. Women voters, black golfers, white rappers, gay marriage, Sony charging for online. It's the world we live in.

Wait... what?

EDIT: Oh, I thought that said white rapers

I thought I did! Damn auto-correct.

I wasn't happy about it first, but being a PS+ subscriber since a month or two after the service started, I'm ok with it. If PS+ was getting a price hike because of this, then I probably wouldn't be too friendly about it because in that situation, it's clear they're just charging for online.

The way they introduced this online pay-wall was superb. They're also not blocking you off from free-to-play games with it and never stopping you from accessing other payed services like netflix, which MS did at one point in the past I believe.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
Osc89 said:
I don't see how someone can defend them for this. It was a pretty underhanded thing for them to do, and the only bad thing in an otherwise great launch.

the true fact is there is still a option to play online multi-player gameing on the PS4 without the need or requirement for playstation+ So even though its bad on one hand, its not completely cut off with No online multi-player gaming with  out having to pay. because you still can play online Multi-player games on the PS4 your just restricted to freemium  multi-onlin play games only without requireing paying for Multi-player so there is still an option open.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

shloob said:

They do if you wanna play online on the ps4. Everyone will need to be a ps + unless you plan to stick with certain free to play games

but that still means you have online multi-player that you can indeed play, so its not 100% in back of a pay wall. with games like planet side 2, DCUnivers is really do not think that would be a problem for many anyway.

and with many MMO's also being without a paywall requirement, its not going to be that much of an issue.

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

joeorc said:
Osc89 said:
I don't see how someone can defend them for this. It was a pretty underhanded thing for them to do, and the only bad thing in an otherwise great launch.

the true fact is there is still a option to play online multi-player gameing on the PS4 without the need or requirement for playstation+ So even though its bad on one hand, its not completely cut off with No online multi-player gaming with  out having to pay. because you still can play online Multi-player games on the PS4 your just restricted to freemium  multi-onlin play games only without requireing paying for Multi-player so there is still an option open.

I can see how it isn't as bad as XBL, but it doesn't make it good. It doesn't affect me personally as I already subscribe to PS+, but I disagree with the principle of it. If they are charging for it now, they should be very clear about what it is that requires the cost, for example dedicated servers or something. Otherwise it comes across as gouging their fanbase, or slipping in hidden charges for people who are unaware they have changed policy.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

Osc89 said:
joeorc said:
Osc89 said:

I can see how it isn't as bad as XBL, but it doesn't make it good. It doesn't affect me personally as I already subscribe to PS+, but I disagree with the principle of it. If they are charging for it now, they should be very clear about what it is that requires the cost, for example dedicated servers or something. Otherwise it comes across as gouging their fanbase, or slipping in hidden charges for people who are unaware they have changed policy.

your right, and Yoshida did that in the Q&A about the reason why:

We’re focusing on new services and online, like the “Share” button I previously mentioned and the ability to play using mobile devices with the cloud feature. Our plan is to continue to invest in the future, but investing like this is not compatible with our previous policy that involved reducing costs by every mean to keep the service free.

yoshida went further and stated:

I apologize for the financial burden on our users, but on PS4 it’ll also provide early access to beta versions, free games and discounts like on PS3 and PS Vita. In addition to that PS Plus members will receive for free a special edition with slightly reduced functions of DriveClub.

While direct competition in real time won’t be possible [without PS Plus] for instance in the case of DriveClub, asynchronous online gameplay and receiving data from other players will still be free of charge.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/06/12/e3-2013-sonys-shuhei-yoshida-shares-relevant-details-on-playstation-plus-requirement-for-multiplayer-on-ps4/

While i also agree, that it may not effect gamers in one way, other's it may indeed infact hinder their enjoyment of the system because certain games would require online pay just to play. but on the same token, Sony has not cut off everyone to online multi-player gaming by the way of a pay wall so that still is one thing. for those that cannot pay or refuse to pay can still play online multi-player for free still. and with the PS3 still being free online its still @ benefit for the consumer for those that are not keen on paying to play online. Thats one area that i tip my hat to Nintendo on, still free online multi-player play also.

I AM BOLO

ps:

I'm fine with how they're doing it now. It's cheaper, gives you more, and you're not screwed if you don't get ps plus (a lot of games don't require you to pay for online.