By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why doesnt Sony charge for PSN membership?

Should Sony charge for PSN membership?

Yes, it makes sense. 108 24.16%

NO! 297 66.44%

I couldn't care less, man-bear-pig! 42 9.40%

Total:447

Isnt that exactly what they are doing with PS4? You cant access online multi player unless you have PS+

Around the Network

It still doesn't change the fact that you have to pay to play online now even with the added feature of free games*.

osamanobama said:
because its something that should be free. paying to use your own internet connection is not cool

Yes, but with the almighty PS4 that everyone seems so excited about, you WILL have to pay just to use your own internet connection. At least to play games online. Which is still absurd.

Saeko said:
Would prefere free, but its good for sony and gamer, if they have more money they make more quality game.

Keep telling yourself that when they are screwing you up the ass.

kowenicki said:
pezus said:
man-bear-pig said:
Yes, but Sonys 'love' of their gamers has cost them $10,000,000,000.00. So, yes they really do need to start charging. Also, how on earth would they lose gamers if it is still cheaper than its competitors?

They'll probably do more charging come the PS4. The day they announce mandatory charging for online play, is the day I stop playing console games online.

Just quoting this for comedy value later.  You dont mind do you?  Dony worry, ethomaz and others are in the same boat too.

Actually, I can vouch for Pezus here. At the surface, I'm sure you post seems logical and valid. However, upon closer exmaination, it's clear that what you say isn't applicable today.

He said he would never pay for online play on a "console." Any reasonable person can see that the Playstation 4 will change the definition of "console" forever. Some might even argue that the Playstation 4 can't even be described as a mere console without understating the greatness that it truly is. After witnessing the wonder of this...masterpiece, I personally feel that calling the Playstation 4 a "console" is an insult. Of course, Pezus and other mortals couldn't have known how great the Ps4 would be back then. So it should be plainly obvious to a non-Playstation hater that any statements involving outdated definitions of "console" are no longer valid. So this sentence you highlighted here really doesn't mean anything. 

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
pezus said:
man-bear-pig said:
Yes, but Sonys 'love' of their gamers has cost them $10,000,000,000.00. So, yes they really do need to start charging. Also, how on earth would they lose gamers if it is still cheaper than its competitors?

They'll probably do more charging come the PS4. The day they announce mandatory charging for online play, is the day I stop playing console games online.

Just quoting this for comedy value later.  You dont mind do you?  Dony worry, ethomaz and others are in the same boat too.

This only really applies if pezus isn't a PS+ subscriber, since he was quite clearly referring to a separate online charge.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

kowenicki said:
pezus said:
man-bear-pig said:

And you're the same Xbox fan crying in every thread about how many issues your future console will have, who's always calling others out on stirring trouble and here you are.

I seriously have no sympathy for you, you deserve your reputation. 

This is probably the dumbest thread and the dumbest reasoning from the OP I've seen here this year, I guess this is why I rarely post here and stick to reading the articles, jeez

Stay in school OP

man-bear-pig said:

I dont understand why Sony dosent charge for PSN membership. Microsoft gets away with charging £40 a year and is still hugely successful, so why dosent Sony begin to charge? If i was in charge of Sony i would undercut Microsoft and charge £30 a year, and this would have only positive effects;

1.) They would get higher revenue from it and it would cost them nearly nothing to administer.

2.) PS3 sales would likely increase because  it would be in direct competition with Microsoft and consumers would likely choose the PS3 as they want the best deal.

It seems like a no-brainer to me, so why dont they do it? Is there a reason why they dont do it that i dont know? Are they making a stupid mistake?

What matter of nonsense is that? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Here is the likely scenario: Present customers would be pissed off cause thats not the package they were promised and not as likely to jump on PS4. New customers would feel reluctant to buy the PS3 instead of the Wii U that offers free online. Again hurting PS4 sales aswell.

Cmon... how can you not see that?

Nem said:
man-bear-pig said:

I dont understand why Sony dosent charge for PSN membership. Microsoft gets away with charging £40 a year and is still hugely successful, so why dosent Sony begin to charge? If i was in charge of Sony i would undercut Microsoft and charge £30 a year, and this would have only positive effects;

1.) They would get higher revenue from it and it would cost them nearly nothing to administer.

2.) PS3 sales would likely increase because  it would be in direct competition with Microsoft and consumers would likely choose the PS3 as they want the best deal.

It seems like a no-brainer to me, so why dont they do it? Is there a reason why they dont do it that i dont know? Are they making a stupid mistake?

What matter of nonsense is that? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Here is the likely scenario: Present customers would be pissed off cause thats not the package they were promised and not as likely to jump on PS4. New customers would feel reluctant to buy the PS3 instead of the Wii U that offers free online. Again hurting PS4 sales aswell.

Cmon... how can you not see that?

I don't think you understand his logic. Imagine this scenario:

Let's say Bob has a severe medical condition, like violent diarrhea or something. So he goes to the pharmacy to get some pills. When he gets to the pharmacist, he is offered two options for pills: (1) Brand A, which is fairly trusted and costs about $50; and then there's (2) Brand B, which is free - no strings attached. If Bob is like like any sane person (and can afford it), he will buy the $50 pills nine times out of ten. There's no way he's taking the free pills. Something has to be wrong with them. Sure, they're free, but they could lead to worse diarrhea. The mere fact that they're free means they're worthless. So most people buy brand A. 

Now let's say the scenario is changed a bit. Let's say Bob is offered (1) Brand A, which is fairly trusted and costs about $50; and then there's (2) Brand B, which is slightly less trusted, but costs $30. Cool, a $20 dollar deal! Here, most people choose Brand B, because they believe they are getting an equal product at a lesser price; whereas with the free pills, they were afraid of worst diarrhea (or in PSN's case, stealing credit card info). Of course, this is an oversimplification, but the principle is still the same. The amount of customers gained from increasing the apparent value of the product will overwhelm the amount of customers lost who can't afford it.

This is actually a recorded fact in economics. The same applies to PSN. You will see the effect of this soon.