By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why doesnt Sony charge for PSN membership?

Should Sony charge for PSN membership?

Yes, it makes sense. 108 24.16%

NO! 297 66.44%

I couldn't care less, man-bear-pig! 42 9.40%

Total:447
Jay520 said:

I don't think you understand his logic. Imagine this scenario:

Let's say Bob has a severe medical condition, like violent diarrhea or something. So he goes to the pharmacy to get some pills. When he gets to the pharmacist, he is offered two options for pills: (1) Brand A, which is fairly trusted and costs about $50; and then there's (2) Brand B, which is free - no strings attached. If Bob is like like any sane person (and can afford it), he will buy the $50 pills nine times out of ten. There's no way he's taking the free pills. Something has to be wrong with them. Sure, they're free, but they could lead to worse diarrhea. The mere fact that they're free means they're worthless. So most people buy brand A. 

Now let's say the scenario is changed a bit. Let's say Bob is offered (1) Brand A, which is fairly trusted and costs about $50; and then there's (2) Brand B, which is slightly less trusted, but costs $30. Cool, a $20 dollar deal! Here, most people choose Brand B, because they believe they are getting an equal product at a lesser price; whereas with the free pills, they were afraid of worst diarrhea (or in PSN's case, stealing credit card info). Of course, this is an oversimplification, but the principle is still the same. The amount of customers gained from increasing the apparent value of the product will overwhelm the amount of customers lost who can't afford it.

This is actually a recorded fact in economics. The same applies to PSN. You will see the effect of this soon.

Its really not the same. Health issues represent a different buying behaviour than a lux item, wich is what we can consider a console and games. 

Again the example is not good when you say the second pill makes his "illness" worse when that isnt the case at all. PSN is just as good as Xbox live. It just doesnt have the cross-game chat. Again, all i see is an irrational behaviour. I understand what you mean, but the example is skewed away from context.

If you try with a similar lux item, for example, it would be a comparable situation.

Lets try with a new game purchase. You can buy a new game, A, for 50 dollars or download one for free, B. The games are similar. What do you think happens? Will more people just download the free game or will pay 50 for a similar one. Obviously the free one.

The problem at the end of the day is the perception of value. Some people dont think theres enough value and some think there is. Still, i dont see how adding a new "tax" to your system is gonna drive up sales. That just doesnt make any sense.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
pezus said:
man-bear-pig said:
Yes, but Sonys 'love' of their gamers has cost them $10,000,000,000.00. So, yes they really do need to start charging. Also, how on earth would they lose gamers if it is still cheaper than its competitors?

They'll probably do more charging come the PS4. The day they announce mandatory charging for online play, is the day I stop playing console games online.

Just quoting this for comedy value later.  You dont mind do you?  Dony worry, ethomaz and others are in the same boat too.

Well, it's funny when your company of choice make the same mistakes that you pointed.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Daisuke72 said:
kowenicki said:
pezus said:
man-bear-pig said:
Yes, but Sonys 'love' of their gamers has cost them $10,000,000,000.00. So, yes they really do need to start charging. Also, how on earth would they lose gamers if it is still cheaper than its competitors?

They'll probably do more charging come the PS4. The day they announce mandatory charging for online play, is the day I stop playing console games online.

Just quoting this for comedy value later.  You dont mind do you?  Dony worry, ethomaz and others are in the same boat too.

And you're the same Xbox fan crying in every thread about how many issues your future console will have, who's always calling others out on stirring trouble and here you are.

I seriously have no sympathy for you, you deserve your reputation. 

He seems to deserve it indeed. His agenda in bumping this thread couldn't be clearer.

Why are the mods not active in doing something about stuff like this?

Everything changes in time, I guess. Women voters, black golfers, white rappers, gay marriage, Sony charging for online. It's the world we live in.

"The day they announce mandatory charging for online play, is the day I stop playing console games online."
im sure i said that a few years ago as well, and I would have stuck by it if sony charged for online like microsoft did. PS+ is a different case though.

I was actually reluctant to try PS+, but eventually it became an offer you cant refuse. I think people who dont have PS+ will be glad they got forced to buy it (if they want to go online on PS4) and wonder why they didnt get it before, its that damn good.

If however the quality of games they give away for free are downgraded to 'games with gold' standard, i'd have a second thought about it, but i highly doubt they will get worse. If anything with more PS+ subs, they will have more money to give to developers to bring better games to the service.
MS have got to up their game because next gen it will be the ps4 owners who will be claiming 'you get what you pay for'

Around the Network

Apparently you no schoolers aren't too familiar with Man-Beae-Pig threads.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

Bumping old threads,huh?

I don't see how someone can defend them for this. It was a pretty underhanded thing for them to do, and the only bad thing in an otherwise great launch.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

Metroid33slayer said:
Saeko said:
Would prefere free, but its good for sony and gamer, if they have more money they make more quality game.

Keep telling yourself that when they are screwing you up the ass.

For October i picked up Kingdoms of Amalur, Shadow of the Colossus and Hotline Miami all for $3.33. If that's getting screwed up the ass then i hope it never stops.

I question the intelligence of anyone who tries to equate the paywall of xbox live gold to ps+.