By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why doesnt Sony charge for PSN membership?

Should Sony charge for PSN membership?

Yes, it makes sense. 108 24.16%

NO! 297 66.44%

I couldn't care less, man-bear-pig! 42 9.40%

Total:447
joeorc said:
Osc89 said:
joeorc said:

the true fact is there is still a option to play online multi-player gameing on the PS4 without the need or requirement for playstation+ So even though its bad on one hand, its not completely cut off with No online multi-player gaming with  out having to pay. because you still can play online Multi-player games on the PS4 your just restricted to freemium  multi-onlin play games only without requireing paying for Multi-player so there is still an option open.

I can see how it isn't as bad as XBL, but it doesn't make it good. It doesn't affect me personally as I already subscribe to PS+, but I disagree with the principle of it. If they are charging for it now, they should be very clear about what it is that requires the cost, for example dedicated servers or something. Otherwise it comes across as gouging their fanbase, or slipping in hidden charges for people who are unaware they have changed policy.

your right, and Yoshida did that in the Q&A about the reason why:

We’re focusing on new services and online, like the “Share” button I previously mentioned and the ability to play using mobile devices with the cloud feature. Our plan is to continue to invest in the future, but investing like this is not compatible with our previous policy that involved reducing costs by every mean to keep the service free.

yoshida went further and stated:

I apologize for the financial burden on our users, but on PS4 it’ll also provide early access to beta versions, free games and discounts like on PS3 and PS Vita. In addition to that PS Plus members will receive for free a special edition with slightly reduced functions of DriveClub.

While direct competition in real time won’t be possible [without PS Plus] for instance in the case of DriveClub, asynchronous online gameplay and receiving data from other players will still be free of charge.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/06/12/e3-2013-sonys-shuhei-yoshida-shares-relevant-details-on-playstation-plus-requirement-for-multiplayer-on-ps4/

While i also agree, that it may not effect gamers in one way, other's it may indeed infact hinder their enjoyment of the system because certain games would require online pay just to play. but on the same token, Sony has not cut off everyone to online multi-player gaming by the way of a pay wall so that still is one thing. for those that cannot pay or refuse to pay can still play online multi-player for free still. and with the PS3 still being free online its still @ benefit for the consumer for those that are not keen on paying to play online. Thats one area that i tip my hat to Nintendo on, still free online multi-player play also.

I'm glad he is talking about the reasons, but he only mentioned the sharing and remote play/mobile, neither of which actually need PS+. That doesn't really make sense.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

Around the Network
Metroid33slayer said:
room414 said:
Metroid33slayer said:
Saeko said:
Would prefere free, but its good for sony and gamer, if they have more money they make more quality game.

Keep telling yourself that when they are screwing you up the ass.

For October i picked up Kingdoms of Amalur, Shadow of the Colossus and Hotline Miami all for $3.33. If that's getting screwed up the ass then i hope it never stops.

Your forgetting the point, he said it was good for gamers that they have to pay to access online gameplay. How can that be good for gamers? He has got sony's genitals rammed firmly down his throat and so have you.

How in the hell is getting a ton of good games for a ridiculously low price bad for gamers or getting screwed? Why are you ignoring all the benefits of ps+ and only seeing a paywall? That's not what it is. 

And stop concluding your comments with your homosexual fantasies. No one wants to hear that. 

room414 said:
Metroid33slayer said:
room414 said:
Metroid33slayer said:
Saeko said:
Would prefere free, but its good for sony and gamer, if they have more money they make more quality game.

Keep telling yourself that when they are screwing you up the ass.

For October i picked up Kingdoms of Amalur, Shadow of the Colossus and Hotline Miami all for $3.33. If that's getting screwed up the ass then i hope it never stops.

Your forgetting the point, he said it was good for gamers that they have to pay to access online gameplay. How can that be good for gamers? He has got sony's genitals rammed firmly down his throat and so have you.

How in the hell is getting a ton of good games for a ridiculously low price bad for gamers or getting screwed? Why are you ignoring all the benefits of ps+ and only seeing a paywall? That's not what it is. 

And stop concluding your comments with your homosexual f

Because it is a pay wall. You can massage the facts all you want but the point remains that you have to pay to play online and wether you get cheap games that you probably don't want is beside the point. You have already given them your money for the 'honour' of accessing online multiplayer. Get real mr sony, they are no better than microsoft.

Metroid33slayer said:
room414 said:

And stop concluding your comments with your homosexual fantasies. No one wants to hear that.

Because it is a pay wall. You can massage the facts all you want but the point remains that you have to pay to play online and wether you get cheap games that you probably don't want is beside the point. You have already given them your money for the 'honour' of accessing online multiplayer. Get real mr sony, they are no better than microsoft.

Right, cheap games that nobody wants and you're just paying for the 'honour' of accessing online multiplayer, that's why ps+ has millions of subscribers already with a 95% satisfaction rate. lol

Remove online multiplayer from the xbox paywall and you have something no one would pay for. Remove online multiplayer from ps+ on ps4 and you still have a valuable service worth paying for. Of course there will also be people who pay for it just for multiplayer but they will still get good value apart from that whether they know it or not prior to subscribing. 

Is sony better than microsoft? Of course not. They're both just corporations that want your money. But trying to equate the xbox paywall to ps+ and pointing fingers at people willing to pay for ps+ but not xbox live as if they're hypocrites is just plain dumb. 

Hey I had the second post on this thread! Looks like I kinda called this one spot on.

Around the Network

Its supposed to be free, the only thing MS has influenced them to do is take more and more of peoples money. Sony and Nintendo had the right idea.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Its supposed to be free, the only thing MS has influenced them to do is take more and more of peoples money. Sony and Nintendo had the right idea.

As far as online gaming fees, Nintendo still does.

prayformojo said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

As far as online gaming fees, Nintendo still does.

Exactly. MS is going to nickel and dime everyone. Thanks to Sony they aren't for the time being because DRM was dropped. Ninty might not be an online force but they dont need to force people anyway. Better that Sony tacks on multiplayer to PSN+  than everyone being forced into Microsofts DRM hell.

room414 said:
Metroid33slayer said:
room414 said:

Right, cheap games that nobody wants and you're just paying for the 'honour' of accessing online multiplayer, that's why ps+ has millions of subscribers already with a 95% satisfaction rate. lol

Remove online multiplayer from the xbox paywall and you have something no one would pay for. Remove online multiplayer from ps+ on ps4 and you still have a valuable service worth paying for. Of course there will also be people who pay for it just for multiplayer but they will still get good value apart from that whether they know it or not prior to subscribing. 

Is sony better than microsoft? Of course not. They're both just corporations that want your money. But trying to equate the xbox paywall to ps+ and pointing fingers at people willing to pay for ps+ but not xbox live as if they're hypocrites is just plain dumb. 

QFT.

room414 said:
Metroid33slayer said:
room414 said:

Are you working for Sony in PR?