By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Vgchartz ranking game--The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (results are in)

Thoughts on Skyrim.

Game of the year and beyond! 34 41.98%

I used to like it, but th... 13 16.05%

Dem bugs 26 32.10%

So where's my DLC? 7 8.64%

Total:80

Why is there no just good/great option?

Your options go from GOTY/Best ever to "meh" basically.

Around the Network

Some of these scores are a complete joke. 0/10... Seriously? At this rate skyrim will end up being the lowest rated game ever in these threads with about 6/10... You should all be ashamed of yourselves! @2000cc how do you sleep at night?

pezus said:
Marks said:
Why is there no just good/great option?

Your options go from GOTY/Best ever to "meh" basically.

That's what I was thinking. Also lacks a "see results" option. I voted for nothing because nothing applied :D

Same here! If there was a "very good" option I would have picked it, but I'm not gonna say its GOTY and beyond. 

7.0 will edit this post and give my review later.

KylieDog said:
yo_john117 said:
KylieDog said:
The game is broken and stops working. Disgraceful.

I need a list of reasons for the score to count? I'll do it in video form.

...there are more if needed.

Score is 2

I get the feeling that this is a joke but in the off chance that it's not I take it the game became unplayable for you very shortly after you started?(aka you literally couldn't play it because of the frammrate bug)

Also I want you to give your experience with the game, not some videos.

Oh it is serious, this game should never have been released int his state.  My experience is one of wasted time, wasted rentals and general disappointment all round.  If the ever fixed it I would score higher but they haven't so I will not.

Ok well lets hear it then :/

Around the Network
2000cc said:
Played the ps3 version

0 (yes zero) out of 10

Harsh, probably, but in my mind the game is unfinished so doesnt deserve a score. The bugs ruined the game for me beyond any hope of actual enjoyment. In my version of the skyrim world, Dragons were flightless and often invisible also while mammoths and NPCs levitated regularly. I must say I never picked bethesda to be an exceptionally creative company but the high flying heavy elephants & humans (who most of the time were only constrained by the roof of the dwelling they inhabited) & flightless Dragons was a very innovative idea, haha. Not only this but it appears the 'ye olde fantasy' skyrim world has some seriously futuristic forests, the trees would flash neon colours repeatedly while I walked around, it didnt feel like a fantasy world but more like I'd stumbled alongside an Aphex Twin or Basement Jaxx gig. I half expected a horde of 'E' popping ravers to come busting out of the 'woods'. The final immersion ruining bug was the game AI, playing a rogue style character with good sneak ability i'd regularly shoot people with arrows & they'd then say 'oh i must have just imagined it' with the arrow still poking out of them. Similarly killing someone who would fall dead beside a tavern dweller who was drinking warranted no response from said tavern dweller (EVERY time). It really was impossible to get into the world in any way shape or form because firstly it was a ridiculous world worthy only of a monty python skit & secondly it was so hard to affect anyway that I always felt one step removed.

and thats just the minor bugs, the serious ones that broke the game (eg the 1-5 frames per second lag & the save corruption bug that both came in at 25-35 hours to name a few) were much more annoying. For these reasons I consider the game unfinished & unworthy of a score. I'd much rather rate a demo as if it were a full game than give a score to this game (assuming the demo actually ran).

As for gameplay itself it was far too easy which again made it very hard to get into or take seriously in any way, even on master difficulty certain abilties are riduclously overpowered & killing dragons, though less tedious than closing Oblivion gates, is the definition of a cake walk, my horse even killed a dragon thats how weak they were!!!, there is no fun in a game that is this simple. That and the story was possibly the most bland & generic of any game this generation. The only good thing I can say about the game is that I did see some good obviously non scripted events occur around me, but again I took no part in these, they just happened near me. This game really is one of the worst gaming experiences I have ever had. It had potential but the "end product" was just an embarassing unfinished mess that realised none of what it could have been imo. While I also didnt enjoy Oblivion, Morrowwind was very decent for its time and Daggerfall had a great many merits. But its fair to say that Skyrim will be the last new Elder Scrolls game I play.

No game deserves a 0/10. The fact that you were able to do anything means it deserves at least one point. A 0/10 should be reserved for games that don't even let you get past the welcome screen. The fact that it even has some positive content means it deserves at least a 1. A 0/10 is for a game that doesn't even have content.

2000cc said:
Played the ps3 version

0 (yes zero) out of 10

Harsh, probably, but in my mind the game is unfinished so doesnt deserve a score. The bugs ruined the game for me beyond any hope of actual enjoyment. In my version of the skyrim world, Dragons were flightless and often invisible also while mammoths and NPCs levitated regularly. I must say I never picked bethesda to be an exceptionally creative company but the high flying heavy elephants & humans (who most of the time were only constrained by the roof of the dwelling they inhabited) & flightless Dragons was a very innovative idea, haha. Not only this but it appears the 'ye olde fantasy' skyrim world has some seriously futuristic forests, the trees would flash neon colours repeatedly while I walked around, it didnt feel like a fantasy world but more like I'd stumbled alongside an Aphex Twin or Basement Jaxx gig. I half expected a horde of 'E' popping ravers to come busting out of the 'woods'. The final immersion ruining bug was the game AI, playing a rogue style character with good sneak ability i'd regularly shoot people with arrows & they'd then say 'oh i must have just imagined it' with the arrow still poking out of them. Similarly killing someone who would fall dead beside a tavern dweller who was drinking warranted no response from said tavern dweller (EVERY time). It really was impossible to get into the world in any way shape or form because firstly it was a ridiculous world worthy only of a monty python skit & secondly it was so hard to affect anyway that I always felt one step removed.

and thats just the minor bugs, the serious ones that broke the game (eg the 1-5 frames per second lag & the save corruption bug that both came in at 25-35 hours to name a few) were much more annoying. For these reasons I consider the game unfinished & unworthy of a score. I'd much rather rate a demo as if it were a full game than give a score to this game (assuming the demo actually ran).

As for gameplay itself it was far too easy which again made it very hard to get into or take seriously in any way, even on master difficulty certain abilties are riduclously overpowered & killing dragons, though less tedious than closing Oblivion gates, is the definition of a cake walk, my horse even killed a dragon thats how weak they were!!!, there is no fun in a game that is this simple. That and the story was possibly the most bland & generic of any game this generation. The only good thing I can say about the game is that I did see some good obviously non scripted events occur around me, but again I took no part in these, they just happened near me. This game really is one of the worst gaming experiences I have ever had. It had potential but the "end product" was just an embarassing unfinished mess that realised none of what it could have been imo. While I also didnt enjoy Oblivion, Morrowwind was very decent for its time and Daggerfall had a great many merits. But its fair to say that Skyrim will be the last new Elder Scrolls game I play.

A 0 for a game is not acceptable. You rate the game from a score of 1-10

8/10 played ps3 version for over 80 hours.

Skyrim is awesome when you start playing but ultimately suffers from diminishing returns. The world is the best feature of the game and the urge to explore every little corner is great. Unfortunately the lack luster npc interactions, bad AI, myriad of filler quests and repetitive indoor designs keep it from becoming the best game of the year for me. Still it's a great RPG that everyone who loves games should play, a solid 8 for me.

The bugs were annoying but the 8 is for the game when it works. Honestly the ps3 version should not get more then a 6 in the state I played it in. In the end (with 14mb save file) I had to quit and restart every 30 minutes, avoid walking outdoors for longer then 2 minutes, disable all auto save options and lower the difficulty after the patch broke all resistances. A 6 since it still works for the first 20 to 30 hours.

1/10 it is then, Note that the score is because the game is unfinished, if it was released in a working state (eg you could play as much as you wanted without the game bugging out & forcing you to stop ) I would have given it a real score based on its content.

Maybe i'm just expecting too much, it may not be reasonable to expect a $128nz (standard version btw, thats $102 USD, its not much for me in the scheme of things but the fact remains that there are many lesser things which deliver far more & it is a lot for some people) entertainment product to actually run to some sort of completion

All just my opinion obviously & i'm sure this is no reflection on the PC and 360 versions (which I've heard actually work, if I actually liked it enough I'd buy another 360 for it),

PLAYSTATION NATION LADY OF JRPGS

Favourite Games of 2013 1.Tomb Raider(PS3) 2.Atelier Ayesha(PS3) 3.Virtues Last Reward (Vita)

2000cc said:
1/10 it is then, Note that the score is because the game is unfinished, if it was released in a working state (eg you could play as much as you wanted without the game bugging out & forcing you to stop ) I would have given it a real score based on its content.

Maybe i'm just expecting too much, it may not be reasonable to expect a $128nz (standard version btw, thats $102 USD, its not much for me in the scheme of things but the fact remains that there are many lesser things which deliver far more & it is a lot for some people) entertainment product to actually run to some sort of completion

All just my opinion obviously & i'm sure this is no reflection on the PC and 360 versions (which I've heard actually work, if I actually liked it enough I'd buy another 360 for it),

Thank you.