By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda thread- discussing Nintendo hand-holding getting out of hand

Tagged games:

Heh...I know plenty of dumbasses who would need the hand holding.
(the hand holding used to piss me off when it first became apparent in nintendo's games but I've grown to expect it... but yeah I agree in this case there where one or two instances where it seemed overly unnecessary and did bog down what should have been the perfect gaming experience. I remember a bit where I solved a puzzle, it cut to a scene of a door unlocking elsewhere, which should have been obvious enough...then that stoopid blue girl popped up with one of her 'there's a 95% probability that that's the door you need to go through' rant. I was like: 'Yeah, Thanks'.)...
to be fair, it's not just nintendo games (or zelda games)...
Most videogames are dumbed down these days in some way, esp compared to the good old days. Dammit, we didn't need it back in my day! We just picked up the controller and blasted crap!

Around the Network

i noticed pokemon b/w was ridiculous, every single town or route you got to your rival would talk to you for 10 minutes. it was frustrating when trying to do things quickly.

camaro52391 said:
i noticed pokemon b/w was ridiculous, every single town or route you got to your rival would talk to you for 10 minutes. it was frustrating when trying to do things quickly.

LOLOLOLOL ... omg.. dont play Golden Sun.

Gnac said:
"Wow! This looks pretty heavy! You won't be able to lift it with just your bare hands..."

Says what needs to be said. Zelda's stated the obvious long before recent times.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Yes I got annoyed while playing Skyward sword (On second playthrough now on Hero mode) when Fi would always constantly say something. I wish there was a way to skip most text in the game because sometimes the game purposely forces you to not go through it quickly.
I hope that the next Zelda will have less of this because it was not this frequent in any of the Zeldas I've played so far. I love the story, the characters in it, and especially the villains, but I really hate that SO much dialogue is thrown and forced upon you. Next Zelda better have less of it but still manage to tell a story.

Around the Network
Xxain said:
camaro52391 said:

LOLOLOLOL ... omg.. dont play Golden Sun.

I really enjoyed the Golden Sun (DS) dialogue because the world was such a mystery to me and I wanted to learn more about it. The dialogue was great.

Not a problem for me, I don't read the text. I'm blind because of 3DS.

AstroMaSSi rules

Handholding destroyed this generation.

It's a neccessity for Nintendo games to have this to a degree. Nintendo games (including Zelda) are generally targetted at as wide an audience as possible. This includes relatively young children who may actually need that advice. When my 10 yr-old nephew is playing Zelda for the first time in his life then the advice that pops up is useful and means he'll get more enjoyment out of the game (as opposed to frustration and asking me what to do, lol). Zelda games don't just sell to the hardcore fanbase that know what to expect so I think it's perfectly acceptable for there to be an expectation that hand-holding will be present.

ksv said:

Nintendo is treating Zelda players as idiots. It is getting too much to bear.

Well, lets face it, most people are idiots when it comes to 3D Zelda titles. There were lots of people who couldn't figure out the Water Temple in Ocarina of Time even though it was relatively simple. I don't think these people would be able to get through the first dungeon in Skyward Sword without guidance.

It's not like this is new either, this sort of stuff has been around since Link to the Past.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.