By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Was MS Wrong When They Claimed The #1 Spot For HW Sales WW?

Which Option Do You Think Is More Accurate?

The PS3/360 Is Over/Undertracked In EU. 135 23.48%

Ballmer Was Including A Few Jan Shipments. 67 11.65%

MS Stuffed The Channels. 246 42.78%

IT'S 2012! WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE! 123 21.39%

Total:571
thismeintiel said:
ZaneWane said:
thismeintiel said:
ZaneWane said:
thismeintiel said:

Lol, wow, that got ugly real quick. I didn't think I was gone for that long.

Anyway, you guys bringing up shipments and profits are making yourselves look ridiculous. And that's not to say those things don't matter in the big picture, cause they do, but these discussions/debates have ALL been about SOLD THROUGH numbers, not shipped. If you really just HAVE to talk about it, I'm sure their are other threads dealing with that topic.

As for the actual argument, all signs are pointing to the PS3 actually outselling the 360. Heck, even if we adjusted the PS3 numbers to the same ~2 million gap the 360 has between shipments and sales, it would still win 2011 by ~300K.

what signs

The official sales data we have for the US, EU, and Japan.  The PS3 and 360 were practically tied amongst those three regions (PS3 sales were more spread out, while 360 had big US sales), however the PS3 traditionally sells better overall in the area outside of those (what we would call Others).  Of course, the only official word I remember last year in Others was from Australia, when in late Oct Sony announced that NPD AUS had them ahead of the 360 for the whole year and currently it had them outselling it by 3-1 since 2011's PS3 price cut.  Also, the bolded sentence in my post says a lot, too.

what about rest of the world

Like I said, overall the PS3 traditionally does better in the Others region.  Another important point I raised in another thread is the 360's "true" shipments for the year.  What I mean by that is that at the end of 2010, there were only ~600K (if my memory serves me right) 360's in the channel, while normally there is ~2 million.  To make up for such so levels, MS had to ship ~1 million extra units in Q1 2011.  If MS had been able to ship enough 360's in 2010, that would have decreased 2011's shipment numbers by that same ~1 million.  So the numbers would have looked more like ~13.9 million for 2011, and not the 14.9 million it does have.  In other words, there would be little need for further debate if that hadn't happened.

aron greenberg and major neslon tweeted  xbox winning 2011 console hardware sales so explain that

Around the Network
pezus said:
It's funny to see people claim that only PS3 fans care about this when we have at least 3 360 fans arguing against ONE PS3 fan for many many pages. Irony at its best

Please. It is well known that the majority of forum gamers are PS3 bias. Most of whom have a "closet bias", pretending they are all around gamers. 

But in the end, PS3 "may" have sold more, but 360 won 2011 on all "official" accounts. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
pezus said:
It's funny to see people claim that only PS3 fans care about this when we have at least 3 360 fans arguing against ONE PS3 fan for many many pages. Irony at its best

Please. It is well known that the majority of forum gamers are PS3 bias. Most of whom have a "closet bias", pretending they are all around gamers. 

But in the end, PS3 "may" have sold more, but 360 won 2011 on all "official" accounts. 

well what can you do. most sites are playstation biased simply because theres more playstation fans than there are xbox. the forums here have more diehard xbox fans though. most threads are littered with that seece and koweniki guy. the most obvious sony haters around. and its not just playstation, they literally hate anything sony. hell, just go back a page and read the first post and you'll see what i mean.

pezus said:
kowenicki said:
SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
sales2099 said:
pezus said:

well what can you do. most sites are playstation biased simply because theres more playstation fans than there are xbox. the forums here have more diehard xbox fans though. most threads are littered with that seece and koweniki guy. the most obvious sony haters around. and its not just playstation, they literally hate anything sony. hell, just go back a page and read the first post and you'll see what i mean.

Whereas you are a really balanced and considered poster... with no affiliation whatsoever.

I have probably owned more Sony tech than you will ever own... thats because I was buying tech for years when Sony still dominated most areas.  This forum has far more Sony fans than 360 fans... there really isnt any comparison.

I'd say MS fans are catching up fast now with many of the most recognisable "PS fans" leaving or posting less and more MS fans coming in. I don't think the ratio is as big as it once was, although Sony fans are most definitely more numerous.

Have you seen any pool results recently?

pezus said:
Kynes said:
pezus said:
kowenicki said:
SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
sales2099 said:
pezus said:

Whereas you are a really balanced and considered poster... with no affiliation whatsoever.

I have probably owned more Sony tech than you will ever own... thats because I was buying tech for years when Sony still dominated most areas.  This forum has far more Sony fans than 360 fans... there really isnt any comparison.

I'd say MS fans are catching up fast now with many of the most recognisable "PS fans" leaving or posting less and more MS fans coming in. I don't think the ratio is as big as it once was, although Sony fans are most definitely more numerous.

Yes, most recently the Vita one. Poll results mean nothing though, because anyone can vote in polls but only registered users can post and what I'm saying is that MS fans have become more prominent, probably as a result of great sales.

Oh, come on, we have here four and a half MS fans. You can say that the Nintendo fans are somewhat prominent, but MS fans? Some people consider me a MS fanboy when I've never touched a Xbox or a X360, and I'm sure that this happens to more users.

Around the Network
pezus said:
Kynes said:
pezus said:
Kynes said:
pezus said:
kowenicki said:
SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
sales2099 said:
pezus said:

Yes, most recently the Vita one. Poll results mean nothing though, because anyone can vote in polls but only registered users can post and what I'm saying is that MS fans have become more prominent, probably as a result of great sales.

Oh, come on, we have here four and a half MS fans. You can say that the Nintendo fans are somewhat prominent, but MS fans? Some people consider me a MS fanboy when I've never touched a Xbox or a X360, and I'm sure that this happens to more users.

Kowen, sales, NotStan, ZaneWane, reviniente, MaulerX, Jexy, zhao3gold, Wh1pL4shL1ve_007. That's only looking at the last two pages. One more if you want to join in

That and im actually GeneralMLD from Youtube, maybe you heard of me, got like 4300 subs. 

I like this site because its nice practice to discuss myself within the confines of a moderated forum. 

But theres still more people from the other side here, and on most forums. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

If MS overshipped, retailers will try to sell the surplus during clearance sales at very good prices, this, added to the crazy offers of last BF and Xmas, could affect the sales boost if and when MS cuts price, as many people in the expanded audience the new price will open could have already found the right offer last holiday or during sales (and actually, huge BF could have affected this way the following Xmas too).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

pezus said:
Kynes said:
pezus said:
Kynes said:
pezus said:
kowenicki said:
SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
sales2099 said:
pezus said:

Kowen, sales, NotStan, ZaneWane, reviniente, MaulerX, Jexy, zhao3gold, Wh1pL4shL1ve_007. That's only looking at the last two pages. One more if you want to join in

You can find 10x Sony fans in this forum, and you know it. Don't try to portrait as if you were a minority here, it's ridiculous.

If I can be considered a fan of a manufacturer, I would say I'm a Sega fan, until the Wii I own now, I only bought Sega hardware.

they are not the number 1 console just yet it still has 30 million more to get wiis 95 million units sigh all these threads saying ms is number one . without looking at the total sales

they are far from it actually. unless they can top ds ? which i dont see happening any time soon ds won the gen over all w wii in 2nd and psp in 3rd 360 4th and ps3 a close 5th .

pezus said:
Kynes said:
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
Kynes said:
kowenicki said:
where is a MIKEB? the infamous Sony champion... lol

...he'd actually have to say 360 won... oh the irony. He used to bang on about only shipped numbers matter!!

He left this place when he was sure that PS3 wasn't going to sell three times the X360 sales. I can say that I don't miss him.

He predicted that?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=1622174

I anticipate around 10 million sales per year on average, until the release of a "PSThree", then I expect the PS3 to sell around 15 million on average.

So 2007 + 2008, about 20 million, I anticipate a slimline PS3 to launch somewhere in 2009. By the end of 2012 about 80 million sales. I do expect the PS3 to stay commercially available for much longer though, so by the end of 2016 about 140 million (triple the amount of 360s I anticipate for the long run).

Of course there are endless yet unknown factors. But I certainly expect the PS3 to go well beyond 100 million for the long run.

Wow, he was almost spot on with his predictions till the end of 2012. PS3 will end the year at around 75m is my guess so only 5m off. He fails to anticipate the inevitable drop-off as the generation draws to a close and also 360s good performance.

Wow.  You just took selective reading to another level to completely ignore this:

I do expect the PS3 to stay commercially available for much longer though, so by the end of 2016 about 140 million (triple the amount of 360s I anticipate for the long run).