By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Was MS Wrong When They Claimed The #1 Spot For HW Sales WW?

Which Option Do You Think Is More Accurate?

The PS3/360 Is Over/Undertracked In EU. 135 23.48%

Ballmer Was Including A Few Jan Shipments. 67 11.65%

MS Stuffed The Channels. 246 42.78%

IT'S 2012! WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE! 123 21.39%

Total:571
Kynes said:
kowenicki said:
where is a MIKEB? the infamous Sony champion... lol

...he'd actually have to say 360 won... oh the irony. He used to bang on about only shipped numbers matter!!

He left this place when he was sure that PS3 wasn't going to sell three times the X360 sales. I can say that I don't miss him.

He predicted that?

Yay!!!

Around the Network
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
Kynes said:
kowenicki said:

...he'd actually have to say 360 won... oh the irony. He used to bang on about only shipped numbers matter!!

He left this place when he was sure that PS3 wasn't going to sell three times the X360 sales. I can say that I don't miss him.

He predicted that?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=1622174

I anticipate around 10 million sales per year on average, until the release of a "PSThree", then I expect the PS3 to sell around 15 million on average.

So 2007 + 2008, about 20 million, I anticipate a slimline PS3 to launch somewhere in 2009. By the end of 2012 about 80 million sales. I do expect the PS3 to stay commercially available for much longer though, so by the end of 2016 about 140 million (triple the amount of 360s I anticipate for the long run).

Of course there are endless yet unknown factors. But I certainly expect the PS3 to go well beyond 100 million for the long run.

Kynes said:
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
Kynes said:
kowenicki said:

He predicted that?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=1622174

I anticipate around 10 million sales per year on average, until the release of a "PSThree", then I expect the PS3 to sell around 15 million on average.

So 2007 + 2008, about 20 million, I anticipate a slimline PS3 to launch somewhere in 2009. By the end of 2012 about 80 million sales. I do expect the PS3 to stay commercially available for much longer though, so by the end of 2016 about 140 million (triple the amount of 360s I anticipate for the long run).

Of course there are endless yet unknown factors. But I certainly expect the PS3 to go well beyond 100 million for the long run.

Hrmm.. This makes me think about Sony.

Wasnt this prediction similar to the ego of Sony when they released the Ps3 in 2006?

Sony thought that everyone would drop the 360 and go buy the Ps3. 

Yay!!!

Lol, wow, that got ugly real quick. I didn't think I was gone for that long.

Anyway, you guys bringing up shipments and profits are making yourselves look ridiculous. And that's not to say those things don't matter in the big picture, cause they do, but these discussions/debates have ALL been about SOLD THROUGH numbers, not shipped. If you really just HAVE to talk about it, I'm sure their are other threads dealing with that topic.

As for the actual argument, all signs are pointing to the PS3 actually outselling the 360. Heck, even if we adjusted the PS3 numbers to the same ~2 million gap the 360 has between shipments and sales, it would still win 2011 by ~300K.

thismeintiel said:

Anyway, you guys bringing up shipments and profits are making yourselves look ridiculous. And that's not to say those things don't matter in the big picture, cause they do, but these discussions/debates have ALL been about SOLD THROUGH numbers, not shipped. If you really just HAVE to talk about it, I'm sure their are other threads dealing with that topic.

As for the actual argument, all signs are pointing to the PS3 actually outselling the 360. Heck, even if we adjusted the PS3 numbers to the same ~2 million gap the 360 has between shipments and sales, it would still win 2011 by ~300K.

what signs

Around the Network
ZaneWane said:
thismeintiel said:

what signs

The official sales data we have for the US, EU, and Japan.  The PS3 and 360 were practically tied amongst those three regions (PS3 sales were more spread out, while 360 had big US sales), however the PS3 traditionally sells better overall in the area outside of those (what we would call Others).  Of course, the only official word I remember last year in Others was from Australia, when in late Oct Sony announced that NPD AUS had them ahead of the 360 for the whole year and currently it had them outselling it by 3-1 since 2011's PS3 price cut.  Also, the bolded sentence in my post says a lot, too.

Hi, uhm... don't mind me [clears a burned pillar], I...ahh, I was just waiting for the embers to die down and the [cough, cough] smoke to clear a bit. Ahhh... I can see it's already nighttime. Anyway who won and by how much? Do we now have definite numbers pointing in any direction or are we still gonna play 'let's guess inventories' for a couple of weeks more? It's already February so we should start having pretty solid numbers soon I guess. If not, then I'll just quietly find cover while the next wave of aerial bombings passes through, and pray I'm still alive by then. Well, g-night and go X360!

thismeintiel said:
ZaneWane said:
thismeintiel said:

what signs

The official sales data we have for the US, EU, and Japan.  The PS3 and 360 were practically tied amongst those three regions (PS3 sales were more spread out, while 360 had big US sales), however the PS3 traditionally sells better overall in the area outside of those (what we would call Others).  Of course, the only official word I remember last year in Others was from Australia, when in late Oct Sony announced that NPD AUS had them ahead of the 360 for the whole year and currently it had them outselling it by 3-1 since 2011's PS3 price cut.  Also, the bolded sentence in my post says a lot, too.

what about rest of the world

ZaneWane said:
thismeintiel said:
ZaneWane said:
thismeintiel said:

what signs

what about rest of the world

Like I said, overall the PS3 traditionally does better in the Others region.  Another important point I raised in another thread is the 360's "true" shipments for the year.  What I mean by that is that at the end of 2010, there were only ~600K (if my memory serves me right) 360's in the channel, while normally there is ~2 million.  To make up for such so levels, MS had to ship ~1 million extra units in Q1 2011.  If MS had been able to ship enough 360's in 2010, that would have decreased 2011's shipment numbers by that same ~1 million.  So the numbers would have looked more like ~13.9 million for 2011, and not the 14.9 million it does have.  In other words, there would be little need for further debate if that hadn't happened.

pezus said:
It's funny to see people claim that only PS3 fans care about this when we have at least 3 360 fans arguing against ONE PS3 fan for many many pages. Irony at its best

truer words