By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Diablo coming to consoles (confirmed?)

Tagged games:

pezus said:
Persistantthug said:
pezus said:
Persistantthug said:
TruckOSaurus said:
Persistantthug said:
Kantor said:
Maybe it will be Diablo: Ghost.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last Blizzard game on consoles was The Lost Vikings for SNES. Diablo III has been rumoured to be releasing for several years now, and I don't think Blizzard will choose now to get back into console development and delay the release even further. If there is a Diablo console project, it's likely a different team and a different game (it could well be a repackaged Diablo I and II).

Times have changed dude.

Consoles is where the money's at, and there's nothing about Diablo that makes it technically difficult to do on consoles.

Also, Not only have Diablo games been on consoles in the past (Diablo 1), but Warcraft games too....and that was on a  33mhz PS1. 

These days, Blizzard's about making cash.....there's no better Blizzard game than Diablo 3 that should appear on Consoles. 

Times have changed dude.

Diablo is certainly doable on a regular controller but it wouldn't be as effective a mouse/keyboard. If you think about all the shortcuts you use during a game you realize you'd quickly run out of buttons, not to mention targetting spells with dual analog would be a pain.

I've heard nonsense like this before.

There are dozens of games like Diablo on consoles....Diablo's nothing special is that regard.

Name some

This generation.....off the top of my head without thinking too hard about it...

SACRED 2

TORCHLIGHT

DEATHSPANK

DUNGEON SIEGE 3

Like I said.....Diablo 3 is old hat and nothing special technically.

None of those comes even close to the quality of Diablo. I played the demo of Deatshpank and didn't like it, I didn't really feel a Diablo vibe. Torchlight is a single-player diablo clone, sure. 

Those are all current generation "Diablo type" games.....your personal opinion of them notwithstanding.....no offense intended.

Around the Network
Persistantthug said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Diablo is certainly doable on a regular controller but it wouldn't be as effective a mouse/keyboard. If you think about all the shortcuts you use during a game you realize you'd quickly run out of buttons, not to mention targetting spells with dual analog would be a pain.

There are dozens of games like Diablo on consoles....Diablo's nothing special is that regard.

How is any of what I said nonsense? In DII, you have 16 hotkey for spells and multiple other keys for inventory, stats, spells, quests, menus, merc inventory, weapon switch... It's obvious that you're better off with a keyboard to manage all that and since a mouse is more precise than dual analog there's no advantage in using a controller for a game like Diablo which is why I said it wouldn't be as effective.

Signature goes here!

Mummelmann said:
Never mind a delay, I just hope they won't go Bioware and Bethesda on us and construct the game's UI, controls and general tech around consoles. That would be a swift kick to the nuts for me.

Ahhhhh! So that's why Skyrim's spell/weapon switching is completely retarded!

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
Mummelmann said:
Never mind a delay, I just hope they won't go Bioware and Bethesda on us and construct the game's UI, controls and general tech around consoles. That would be a swift kick to the nuts for me.

Ahhhhh! So that's why Skyrim's spell/weapon switching is completely retarded!

It was unbearable to me, especially the inventory system and the lack of precision and intuition in it. I downloaded and installed the "QD Inventory" mod, works wonders for inverntory and displays value/weight ratio but the switching between weapons, spells and other skills is still fumbly as hell... Morrowind and Oblivion sported something as simple as a radial numbers menu for weapons, why the hell remove that from the PC version and force you to pause the game, scroll through a menu that gets long as you gather shouts, spells and armament and then enter the game again to attack. Silly.

Click 1 for Deadric Dagger, click 2 for Daedric Longbow etc. Who could have thought of something that earth shattering in a game where you switch a lot...

pezus said:
mantlepiecek said:
Uhm....it is going to be Diablo III. Why?

The question asked was " Will there be Diablo 3 for consoles? " The answer was " Yup ".

But then he only said "Diablo console project", so I'm not sure we should take Diablo 3 for granted

he said "the"  and not "a" Diablo console project.
No confirmation but yeah...

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
Persistantthug said:
TruckOSaurus said:

How is any of what I said nonsense? In DII, you have 16 hotkey for spells and multiple other keys for inventory, stats, spells, quests, menus, merc inventory, weapon switch... It's obvious that you're better off with a keyboard to manage all that and since a mouse is more precise than dual analog there's no advantage in using a controller for a game like Diablo which is why I said it wouldn't be as effective.

The stortcut-hotkey's you are refering to are about as mandatory as Oblivion and Skyrim....

Ergo....they're not.

Certainly weren't for Torchlight

I'm sure Blizzard will figure and work it out just fine.

Don't expect it any time soon

A recent Twitter kerfuffle has lead many to believe that Blizzard Entertainment is working full-time on a console version of its upcoming Diablo III action RPG, with signs of a ‘confirmation’ arriving from the studio’s community manager Bashiok.

This isn’t exactly the case…

After being asked directly on Twitter whether or not Diablo 3 would be coming to console, Bashiok replied:

“Yup. Josh Mosqueira is lead designer for the Diablo console project.”

(Josh Mosqueira being a talented and very experienced real-time strategy designer who has worked on Relic games like Homeworld, Warhammer 40K and Company of Heroes.)

The most recent evidence we have of a console version of Diablo III being worked on is a late 2011 interview at Destructoid where Mosqueira said that there were “literally three people” on the console team trying to explore ways that Blizzard might go “back to the console.”

Following Bashiok’s Twitter post recently, however, he backtracked slightly and instead suggested that the console version of Diablo III is still being ‘explored:’

“”Yup” wasn’t meant to be an announcement. We’re still exploring a console version, but more importantly working on the PC/Mac version.”

So while we know that a console version of Diablo III is in the works and is on the way in the future, don’t get your hopes up for a simultaneous release with the PC and Mac versions of the game… or even a 2012 release, for that matter.

http://www.el33tonline.com/past/2012/1/11/diablo_iii_on_console_adventures/

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Persistantthug said:

The stortcut-hotkey's you are refering to are about as mandatory as Oblivion and Skyrim....

Ergo....they're not.

Skyrim has an horrible spell switching system, I wouldn't use it as a reference. Also in Skyrim, the game pauses when you bring up your favorites, Diablo never pauses so you need to be able to change skills fast.

I agree with you that they'll figure out something but it will undoubtedly be inferior to the PC version.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
Persistantthug said:

Ergo....they're not.

Skyrim has an horrible spell switching system, I wouldn't use it as a reference. Also in Skyrim, the game pauses when you bring up your favorites, Diablo never pauses so you need to be able to change skills fast.

I agree with you that they'll figure out something but it will undoubtedly be inferior to the PC version.

Inferior for you.

You'll be entitled to your opinion when Diablo 3 hits consoles.